Re: Low Pass Gate

  • Guy
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 7, 2010
      "Gate" is just the old-school (mainly Don Buchla's, and in older British literature) name for a VCA.
      A gate, like a door: open-close-open-close...

      _g

      --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "deividnb1" <deividnb1@...> wrote:

      > Dear all,
      >
      > Could anyone explain to me what a low pass gate is? I don't quite understand it. I think it's the "gate" that confuses me...
      >
      > Is the MakeNoise QMMG 4 LPGs in one module?
      >
      > Best regards,
      > David

    • David Núñez
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 7, 2010
        So this is basically a low pass VCF and a VCA in one module?

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 7, 2010

          > So this is basically a low pass VCF and a VCA in one module?

          Yes and The Doepfer version has a switch for three functions.
          1: Low Pass Filter
          2: Low Pass Filter and VCA at the same time>>>> The softer the output from
          the VCA is, the more filtered it also sounds.
          3: VCA

        • Giorgio
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 7, 2010
            qmmg has 4, yes, that can each function as vca, low pass filer, vca+LPf aka "both" and a high pass filter. after getting the qmmg i use is in both mode in place of a VCA, and almost never use another filter. I'd like to check out the doepfer LPG at some point

            sent from phone

            On Nov 7, 2010, at 4:53 PM, "deividnb1" <deividnb1@...> wrote:

            > Dear all,
            >
            > Could anyone explain to me what a low pass gate is? I don't quite understand it. I think it's the "gate" that confuses me...
            >
            > Is the MakeNoise QMMG 4 LPGs in one module?
            >
            > Best regards,
            > David

          • dustin sedlacek
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 7, 2010
              most low pass gates have vactrols, they use actual tiny lights or leds
              inside this little black blob they look like this

              http://mnats.net/images/optoisolators.jpg

              these are used to slow down the response of the circuit and it gives the
              circuit a bit more of a natural vibe so instead of the sound dieing quicky
              and giving you a *pop* its going to be more like a *popmm* a bit slow on the
              tail end. this essentially gives it a slight decay envelope that can be
              described as rubbery or woody. about 3 minutes into this video, you get a
              great example of the sound.

              http://vimeo.com/2680645

              On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Giorgio <dancemachine@...> wrote:

              > qmmg has 4, yes, that can each function as vca, low pass filer, vca+LPf aka
              > "both" and a high pass filter. after getting the qmmg i use is in both mode
              > in place of a VCA, and almost never use another filter. I'd like to check
              > out the doepfer LPG at some point
              >
              > sent from phone
              >

              > On Nov 7, 2010, at 4:53 PM, "deividnb1" <deividnb1@...<deividnb1%40yahoo.com>>
              > wrote:
              >
              > > Dear all,
              > >
              > > Could anyone explain to me what a low pass gate is? I don't quite
              > understand it. I think it's the "gate" that confuses me...
              > >
              > > Is the MakeNoise QMMG 4 LPGs in one module?
              > >
              > > Best regards,
              > > David

              Dustin Sedlacek
              901-828-6801