AW: [Doepfer_a100] AC adaptor

  • York Luethje
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 13, 2010
      Hi Richard,

      Go to Chinatown (Canal Street and vicinity). They have a number of hardware
      stores there that will take care of your needs.

      Hope this helps,

      York

      _____

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 14, 2010
        > Hi there,
        >
        > I'm in New York City for a week or so and am trying to find an adaptor
        > to get my 3 x Doepfer modules in minicase working over here (I'm from
        > New Zealand i.e. 240v).

        In any case you can get a suitable supply from our US representative
        Analogue Haven. But for one week that may be too short.
        Or you use a 115/230V voltage converter in combination with the existing
        240V adapters.

      • nicholas_kent
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 14, 2010
          Vintage synths rarely use AC adapters, so I wouldn't have expected you to find one in a music shop. I think Radio Shack has a 400mA one. That might work for you. I'd think Chinatown would more likely be a wild goose chase.
          I believe a lot of them are used for stuff like routers and desktop computer speakers. Generally you won't find spares for sale other than ebay, etc. If your time is more valuable than some extra money I'd consider mouser.com or a similar electronics giant that can next day ship. You'll be spending plenty shipping overnight but you'll not be adapter hunting when you can do something else.

          --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, Richard Francis <rf@...> wrote:

          > Hi there,
          >
          > I'm in New York City for a week or so and am trying to find an adaptor
          > to get my 3 x Doepfer modules in minicase working over here (I'm from
          > New Zealand i.e. 240v).
          >
          > I need a:
          >
          > 12v
          > AC 500mA
          >
          > I'm finding an ac/ac adaptor is not that common. I've been to two
          > vintage synth stores with no luck. Any suggestions?
          >
          > Thanks a lot for any help
          >
          > Richard
          >

          > Richard Francis-486 New North Road, Kingsland, New Zealand
          > www.richardfrancis.net.nz

        • York Brun Luethje
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 14, 2010
            Well, I got all of mine in Chinatown and they have them in all sizes, up to several kw. RadioShack is fine, just more expensive (like four times as expensive).
            Sent via BlackBerry

            Vintage synths rarely use AC adapters, so I wouldn't have expected you to find one in a music shop. I think Radio Shack has a 400mA one. That might work for you. I'd think Chinatown would more likely be a wild goose chase.
            I believe a lot of them are used for stuff like routers and desktop computer speakers. Generally you won't find spares for sale other than ebay, etc. If your time is more valuable than some extra money I'd consider mouser.com or a similar electronics giant that can next day ship. You'll be spending plenty shipping overnight but you'll not be adapter hunting when you can do something else.

            --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, Richard Francis <rf@...> wrote:

            > Hi there,
            >
            > I'm in New York City for a week or so and am trying to find an adaptor
            > to get my 3 x Doepfer modules in minicase working over here (I'm from
            > New Zealand i.e. 240v).
            >
            > I need a:
            >
            > 12v
            > AC 500mA
            >
            > I'm finding an ac/ac adaptor is not that common. I've been to two
            > vintage synth stores with no luck. Any suggestions?
            >
            > Thanks a lot for any help
            >
            > Richard
            >

            > Richard Francis-486 New North Road, Kingsland, New Zealand
            > www.richardfrancis.net.nz

          • York Brun Luethje
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 14, 2010
              Forgot to add: consider investing in some kind of surge protector. Due to the ongoing heat and the stretched utility companies we have insane power spikes caused by a/c unit mostly.

              Just fried the PC board in my refrigerator that way...
              Sent via BlackBerry

              Well, I got all of mine in Chinatown and they have them in all sizes, up to several kw. RadioShack is fine, just more expensive (like four times as expensive).
              Sent via BlackBerry

              Vintage synths rarely use AC adapters, so I wouldn't have expected you to find one in a music shop. I think Radio Shack has a 400mA one. That might work for you. I'd think Chinatown would more likely be a wild goose chase.
              I believe a lot of them are used for stuff like routers and desktop computer speakers. Generally you won't find spares for sale other than ebay, etc. If your time is more valuable than some extra money I'd consider mouser.com or a similar electronics giant that can next day ship. You'll be spending plenty shipping overnight but you'll not be adapter hunting when you can do something else.

              --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, Richard Francis <rf@...> wrote:

              > Hi there,
              >
              > I'm in New York City for a week or so and am trying to find an adaptor
              > to get my 3 x Doepfer modules in minicase working over here (I'm from
              > New Zealand i.e. 240v).
              >
              > I need a:
              >
              > 12v
              > AC 500mA
              >
              > I'm finding an ac/ac adaptor is not that common. I've been to two
              > vintage synth stores with no luck. Any suggestions?
              >
              > Thanks a lot for any help
              >
              > Richard
              >

              > Richard Francis-486 New North Road, Kingsland, New Zealand
              > www.richardfrancis.net.nz

            • Richard Francis
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 5, 2010
                Hi,

                Just wanted to say thanks a lot for the replies ... easiest and
                cheapest solution was a small and lightweight step-up transformer
                from Chinatown.

                Cheers

                Richard

                Richard Francis�486 New North Road, Kingsland�027 445 2723
                music�www.richardfrancis.net.nz design�www.rfstudio.co.nz