Re: [Doepfer_a100] DOEPFER at NAMM 2010

  • Jacob C.
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 1, 2010
      Hi everyone

      What's the status for the TKB?

      /Jacob

      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 1, 2010
        > Hi everyone
        >
        > What's the status for the TKB?
        >
        > /Jacob

        still under development. Everything is now working as it should but we have
        not yet decided the dimension, shape, arrangement and number of the touch
        pads. Everyone wants a different version but we will be able to manufacture
        only one. The final decision which version will be released is still
        pending.

          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 1, 2010
            > hmm, another poll maybe...? :-)
            >
            > Bakis Sirros - Parallel Worlds / Interconnected / Memory Geist

            Maybe, but I have no idea how to arrange that because of the many possibilities ...

            Dieter Doepfer
          • david.salter@thomsonreuters.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 1, 2010
              Hi Dieter,

              I'd be interested in the overall spec that you have decided upon, minus
              obviously the points you raised earlier.

              Thanks

              David

              * * *
              David Salter
              Senior Consultant

              SSG UKI

              Thomson Reuters

              O +44 (0)20 7542 2402X 52402
              M 07990562402

              david.salter@...
              thomsonreuters.com <http://thomsonreuters.com/>

              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 4, 2010
                > Hi Dieter,
                >
                > I'd be interested in the overall spec that you have decided upon, minus
                > obviously the points you raised earlier.
                >
                > Thanks
                >
                > David

                This is the current state: we have a prototype available that could be
                connected to any desired number of pads (currently up to 16 but could be
                expanded to 32, 48 ...). Dimension, shape and arrangement of the pads could
                be chosen because the electronics does kind of auto-adjustement after power
                on (i.e. it measures the capacitance of each pad in the neutral state and
                stores this value as a reference to detect if a pad is touched. Though we
                tested not all imaginable pad dimensions and shapes virtually a lot of
                version are possible (large/small pads, musical keybord layout,
                round/rectangle/triangle/octagon shapes, linear, several rows or matrix
                arrangements, and so on ...). Our prototype outputs midi but it would be no
                problem to add a CV/gate output. Though many users don't like it I think
                midi is most versatily output because you can derive anything you want from
                this data (e.g. single gate outputs, monophonic or polyphonic CV outputs,
                controls for the CV assigned to each pad and so on).

                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 4, 2010
                  so, maybe i should start 4 separate TKS polls:

                  one for number of steps(8,16, 24, 32 ?), one for shape of touch plates (round, hexagon, rectangular?), one for keyboard layout or not keyboard layout,
                  and one for midi plus cv/gate out or only cv/.gate outs?

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 4, 2010
                    > so, maybe i should start 4 separate TKS polls:
                    >
                    > one for number of steps(8,16, 24, 32 ?), one for shape of touch
                    > plates (round, hexagon, rectangular?), one for keyboard layout or
                    > not keyboard layout,
                    > and one for midi plus cv/gate out or only cv/.gate outs?
                    >
                    > Dieter?

                    Yes, this will help. I know that most of the customers will not obtain the version of the TKB they want to have because there are too many different perceptions concerning the layout of the pads (for this we would have to manufacture several versions). Another solution would be to offer the main board without pads and e.g. one or two 16 pin connector that are sed to connect the passive pcb board that contains the pads only. In this case users could built their own pads as a DIY project who are not happy with the pad board(s) we offer. I could imagine that we offer two pad boards: one with musical keyboard layout and one with e.g. several octagon pads.

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 4, 2010
                          hi Bakis,

                          I voted, but I wanted to mention, that the "does not matter" check box,
                          does not make much sense, because I think Dieter needs a overview over
                          our opinions - and "no opionion" would not be a helpful outcome. ;-)

                          Maybe itis possible to make a vote with two or for alternative
                          selections for the question: "I would prefer this solution" and an
                          additional checkbox for "nevertheless it wouldn't matter really for me".

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 4, 2010
                            hi Florian,

                            yes, i could allow more than one votes, but i think the polls are also ok as they are...

                            thanks,
                            best regards,
                            Bakis.