Re: [Doepfer_a100] Re: A100/Roland System 100/Cubase

  • David Barelli
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 7, 2002
      i agree, that is a great way to go, but he has a
      System 2 which does not have it, so he would have to
      get the module and replace one in his system, or get
      another rack for it.. the quickest/chepest (though
      not as stable) is with a mult.
      but hey i am all in favor of more modules.... :)

      HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
      http://www.hotjobs.com
    • Andreas Lindholm
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 7, 2002
        I strongly advice against using multis for vco purpose, it is quite frankly
        useless in my opinion. If it should be use you need an attenuator to make up
        for the signal loss. And it seldom ever worked for me. As somebody wrote "it
        is like making a drawing of a circle with a potato in your hand". Possible
        but not practical.

        > i agree, that is a great way to go, but he has a
        > System 2 which does not have it, so he would have to
        > get the module and replace one in his system, or get
        > another rack for it.. the quickest/chepest (though
        > not as stable) is with a mult.
        > but hey i am all in favor of more modules.... :)
        >
        > --- buechlerjoe <buechlerjoe@...> wrote:
        > > I agree with ringmod, I always use the buffered A185
        > > instead of
        > > multing pitch CV. Works great.
        > >
        > > Joe
        > > --- In Doepfer_a100@y..., "ringmod45"
        > > <ringmod45@y...> wrote:
        > > > hi paul, you may want to try using the A185 bus
        > > access module for
        > > > driving the 1/oct inputs of the roland 100,
        > > instead of multing for
        > > > greater accuracy. it has buffered outputs and
        > > different jumper
        > > > settings for more accurate cv and gate
        > > distribution.
        > > >
        > > > check this url for more info,
        > > >
        > > > http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/a185_man.htm
        > > >

        > > > A Systems and A Solutions both have different
        > > versions of the same
        > > > idea which may suit your fancy better. good luck.
        > > >
        > > > regards,
        > > > RM
        > > >

        > > > --- In Doepfer_a100@y..., "vcovcfvca2002"

        > > (System 2, with
        > > old Roland System
        > > it's own
        > > > midichannel
        > > System 100 midi on a
        > > end up on the same
        > > interface the System
        > > 100
        > > from the System
        > > > 100

      • buechlerjoe
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 8, 2002
          > I strongly advice against using multis for vco purpose, it is quite
          > frankly useless in my opinion.

          The only exception I make is when I occasionally use a multiple to
          split the pitch CV into raw and slew-limited paths, and use an A150
          VC switch patched to the A185 as a portamento control.

          This seems to work fine, and it's useful when the A190 portamento
          function won't do - when I need the A170's dual rate controls, or when
          I'm controlling the A100 directly from my midi keyboard, which doesn't
          have a Controller #65 capability.

          Joe
        • unknown freak
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 8, 2002
            Ok, random question:

            How many of you have to look up the module numbers mentioned in emails
            to determine what's being talked about?

            (With a couple of exceptions -- A-190 and A-111 -- I always think of
            mine by their functions rather than their numbers.)

          • David Salter
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 8, 2002
              Rarely, but sometimes.

              Maybe emails should use a format like

              "panning module (A134) connected to two VCA's (A131)"

              thereby making it obvious which VCA your refering too.

              Regards

              David Salter
              Reuters Consulting
              Tel: +44 20 7542 2402
              Mob: +44 7990562402
              How many of you have to look up the module numbers mentioned in emails
              to determine what's being talked about?

              (With a couple of exceptions -- A-190 and A-111 -- I always think of
              mine by their functions rather than their numbers.)

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              <http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/le/lensexpress/lensexpress_468x60b.gif>
              Click here to find your contact lenses! <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=225674.2075965.3644786.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705032144:HM/A=1153174/R=7/*http://www.lensexpress.com>

            • buechlerjoe
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 8, 2002
                I use the web interface instead of email, and keep a separate
                browser window open with the Doepfer module list displayed :-)

                Seriously, I used to try to be concientious about referring to both
                function and number, like "A150 VC Switch", or even just function,
                like "multiple", but sometimes it seems like too much verbage, or I
                just get too lazy, and just type something like "A170". Wildly
                inconsistent, I know.

                I guess I'll go back to typing things like "A150 VC Switch patched to
                the A185 bus access module".

                Joe

                --- In Doepfer_a100@y..., "unknown freak" <ospengler@r...> wrote:
                > Ok, random question:
                >
                > How many of you have to look up the module numbers mentioned in
                emails
                > to determine what's being talked about?
                >
                > (With a couple of exceptions -- A-190 and A-111 -- I always think of
                > mine by their functions rather than their numbers.)

              • Andreas Lindholm
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 8, 2002
                  I only know like ten from their numbers.

                  > How many of you have to look up the module numbers mentioned in emails
                  > to determine what's being talked about?
                  >
                  > (With a couple of exceptions -- A-190 and A-111 -- I always think of
                  > mine by their functions rather than their numbers.)

                • Paul Schulz
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 8, 2002
                    I know about 25 modules by the numbers. Modules I´ve got to look up almost every time are the A-150s to A-170s (clock, trigger, CV modifiers etc.) As I don´t have any of them, they still are unknown to me.
                    Hope this will change soon ;-)

                    Paul

                  • bakis Sirros
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 8, 2002
                      hi list,
                      i agree with david.
                      despite the fact that i know most of the module
                      numbers by heart,i think it would be more helpful for
                      new members to mention the module function and the
                      number,too.
                      bakis.

                      --- David Salter <david.salter@...> wrote:
                      > Rarely, but sometimes.
                      >
                      > Maybe emails should use a format like
                      >
                      > "panning module (A134) connected to two VCA's
                      > (A131)"
                      >
                      > thereby making it obvious which VCA your refering
                      > too.
                      >
                      > Regards
                      >

                      > David Salter
                      > Reuters Consulting
                      > Tel: +44 20 7542 2402
                      > Mob: +44 7990562402

                      =====
                      synthfreak(parallel worlds)
                      athens-greece
                      [Doepfer_a100] group owner-moderator

                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 12, 2002
                        > ...patch the Hz/V signal to the CV input of an A121 >
                        exponential VCA,

                        It's even better if you mention the -correct- module number ;-)

                        Joe