Kinda Newbie

  • nerf@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 23 , May 2, 2010
      Hi, I'm a new A100 "assembler" with a long synth history. I played for the band Men Without Hats, and as such got to play with synths like Arp 2500s and Synclaviers.

      The bad news is that my modular chops have gone out the window in the last 20 years. I have a Voyager and an Ms20, but the rest of my stuff is all new tech.

      Typically, I jumped in headfirst, bought a 9u case and bought a bunch of random crap on eBay. I have a row full an I still don't have an oscillator!

      Do you have any FAQs here so I don't blow the damn thing up? I need a mentor.

      A quick question: which makes more sense? A midi to cv module or a 351 for my Moog to use it as a controller?

      Thanks,
      Bruce Murphy
    • Computer Controlled
      Message 2 of 23 , May 2, 2010
        Hit up www.muffwiggler.com That is all the modular goodness you'll need =o]

        -Larry

        Message 3 of 23 , May 2, 2010
          hi Larry,

          please, what's the use of this group, if, instead of helping some one, you are only directing him to muffwiggler's...?

          muffwiggler's is a great community, indeed, (and thanks for directing him there, also, for additional info), but, this is the doepfer_a100 group, so, i would much appreciate it if you would also give a helpful reply here.

          so, back on the original question:

          tech info and a faq that may help you (at least for euro A100 modules), Bruce, is here:

          http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/a100t_e.htm
          http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/a100m_e.htm
          http://www.doepfer.de/a100.htm
          http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/a100b_e.htm
          http://www.doepfer.de/faq/main_faq.htm

          in the pages above, you should find tons of info on the euro format and connecting the modules to the busboard and full descriptions of the A100 modules's functionality, plus the current draw of each module (whcih should not exceed the power rating of your PSU).

          also, in the pdf manuals of the A100 modules, you can find many useful patch examples of each A100 module.

          thanks,
          best regards,
          Bakis.

          Bakis Sirros - Parallel Worlds / Interconnected / Memory Geist

          [Doepfer_a100] group owner

          www. parallel - worlds - music. com

          www. myspace. com/ parallelworldsmusic

          www. myspace. com/ interconnectedmusic

          www. myspace. com/ memorygeist

          www. DiN. org. uk

          www. musicamaximamagnetica. com

          www. vu-us. com

          Message 4 of 23 , May 3, 2010
            > Typically, I jumped in headfirst, bought a 9u case and bought a
            > bunch of random crap on eBay. I have a row full an I still don't
            > have an oscillator!
            >
            > Do you have any FAQs here so I don't blow the damn thing up? I need
            > a mentor.

            If you take things literally about damaging modules I guess main
            danger is installing the ribbon connectors of new modules upside down.
            I can't think of anything your Doepfer System, Moog or Korg can
            generate with patch that's dangerous to another synth but there is a
            degree of danger from other gear when it generates higher voltages,
            though it's very rare. I'd say for better or worse nearly all people
            who've damages something did it through wrong power connections not
            interfacing CV. The only thing I can think of that's potentially
            trouble is some vintage gear used voltages higher than +10v. I can
            think of +15v gates on early Roland gear being used somehow or perhaps
            do it yourself sorts of gear that might sum multiple voltages together
            into a voltage well above the working range. If you use a proper
            modular mixer like one from Doepfer then that won't happen as the
            maximum output will stay within safe limits. Looking at damaging
            something else. With the exceptions mentioned, modular gear expects a
            good range of voltage so it won't be damaged by funny patches. I could
            think that sending very high DC control voltages into some standard
            audio equipment might be a bit much. But really damaging modular gear
            with other modular gear by accident is very rare.

            > A quick question: which makes more sense? A midi to cv module or a
            > 351 for my Moog to use it as a controller?

            I would think there would be certain advantages to buying both
            eventually. Ideally you might want to combine the two as a modular
            system or use them individually.

            I think you might want to choose the VX-351 to let you get the most of
            combining the Voyager and the Doepfer. You may eventually want both
            so you can use each separately and combined but with what you have now

            Unfortunately the VX-351 does not let you "patch out" everything on
            the Voyager but it does give you many connections you could work with.

            Perhaps you might want to post the list of modules you have. Many
            people here are great at making suggestions of kinds of modules you
            might need or perhaps ways existing modules can do double duty. For
            instance, as you might already know some filters can self-resonate
            producing typically sine waves and respond to CV for pitch.

            Another option if you use a computer with your gear is Volta or Silent
            Way software. It takes a fair amount of time and potential frustration
            setting up as well as usually some custom cable connections of one
            kind or another but these solutions let you use channels on an audio
            interface to send CV and gates to synths that use them. They also let
            you calibrate wayward VCOs provided you have enough channels to
            dedicate one.

            Having a CV interface that has enough channels (with a needed Hz-V and
            Korg gate option which not all interfaces have) to operate the MS-20
            might be a good thing too. It really depends on how much interfacing
            you think you want to do and use.

            -Nick
          • Synthomaniac
            Message 5 of 23 , May 3, 2010
              Hi Bruce,

              With regard to your question about the VX-351 or a Midi-CV module I personally would go for the 351 (or both). The 351 would give you access to all the Voyager's signals and integrate it really well to the Doepfer (and your MS20) - for example the Voyager's XYA control surface, mod wheels could be used to good effect on Doepfer filters etc. The reason why I say both is that the midi-cv could be useful if you want to use one of your digital kybds as a controller to free up the Voyager for more 'modular' duties.

              I think it's ok to have a fairly random mix of modules from eBay to start with - if you find some of them are not as useful to you as you first thought then you can sell them back for about the same price so no harm done. It would be useful to have a couple of VCOs, different filter types (I love the A-121), log/lin VCAs, LFOs, ADSRs, etc, maybe enough modules to make a couple of monosynth voices. A sequencer would be fun too. Generally the more knobs, switches and jacks the better - it's all about interaction with a modular - welcome to the would of sleepless nights!!

              Hope that helps and have fun.

              Tony
              (Portsmouth UK)

              --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "nerf@..." <nerf@...> wrote:

              > Hi, I'm a new A100 "assembler" with a long synth history. I played for the band Men Without Hats, and as such got to play with synths like Arp 2500s and Synclaviers.
              >
              > The bad news is that my modular chops have gone out the window in the last 20 years. I have a Voyager and an Ms20, but the rest of my stuff is all new tech.
              >
              > Typically, I jumped in headfirst, bought a 9u case and bought a bunch of random crap on eBay. I have a row full an I still don't have an oscillator!
              >
              > Do you have any FAQs here so I don't blow the damn thing up? I need a mentor.
              >
              > A quick question: which makes more sense? A midi to cv module or a 351 for my Moog to use it as a controller?
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Bruce Murphy

            • York Luethje
              Message 6 of 23 , May 3, 2010
                ,Johnny played guitar, Jenny played bass' - ah, memories!

                To your question, I think the VX 351 would be more versatile as it spits out
                plenty of CV to control your modular (and the Voyager would then act as a
                Midi interface to boot).

                Regarding your other modules - what do you have in mind? Melodic stuff, wild
                experimental noises, sequencer lines?

                I am sure if you could tell us where you are based someone would be willing
                to tutor you as well.

                Hope this helps,

                York

                _____

                Message 7 of 23 , May 3, 2010
                  Thanks so much for all the advice! I like the idea of using the Moog as a controller, but it's out on gigs a lot, and packing and unpacking it....I'm intensely lazy. I guess the MS20 is kind of a dud, being Hz/V?

                  I'd love to have a CV sequencer, but they all seem so expensive. Midi to CV would allow me to sequence from my computer. What I want the A100 for is to make loops and one shot sounds. In other words, play til I get something fun and import it to my DAW. I am totally crazy about those Buchla type Vactrol plucked noises. In fact, that's what pushed me over the edge into modular synthesis! I understand the Plan b gate is pretty good at this. I also am pretty floored by the Wogglebug. So these will be essentials I think.

                  Where am I right now? (All Doepfer)
                  2 A140 ADSRs
                  A105 VCF
                  A130 Linear VCA
                  A131 Exp VCA
                  A106 MS20 filter
                  A143 Quad LFO
                  A180 multiple

                  These are all things I figured I'd really want pretty fast, and I got good deals on them.

                  Obviously I'll need some VCOs, a noise generator, a mixer, etc. Can someone point me straight?

                  Are the Doefer basic VCOs worth it?
                  Is the Darkstar module a nice alternative?
                  What's the best way to mix my signals (and output them to the board/headphones)?
                  What's the easiest way to bring external audio into the system?
                  How do I know I'm not bringing in too hot a signal?
                  How do I lock LFO cycles etc to Midi clock, and what the hell is a CV clock divider?

                  And most importantly, how do I make that wonderful Buchla BOINK! Lol.

                  Manuals and product brochures are great, but I want to tap into the huge amount of hands on experience that this group has! People sell used modules all the time. Must be a good reason. I appreciate your patience and you'll find that some of my knowledge is quite sophisticated, while certain obvious things have totally eluded me!

                  Regards!
                  Bruce
                • York Luethje
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 3, 2010
                    Answers in line:

                    Are the Doefer basic VCOs worth it?

                    Yes. No. It depends. They track very well, are inexpensive and sound good
                    (to me). If you're after a specific sound, then probably only that specific
                    oscillator will deliver it.

                    Is the Darkstar module a nice alternative?

                    The Darkstar is a module from Blacet and therefore not euro format. From
                    what I understand it is a noise generator and thus only an alternative to a
                    normal oscillator if you're Merzbow. If you were referring to the Dark
                    Energy, that is a complete synth voice, with filter, amp and envelopes. It
                    is also available as a module (A-111-5) and people have said nice things
                    about it.

                    What's the best way to mix my signals (and output them to the
                    board/headphones)?

                    You can take any signal and connect it directly to the board. It's pretty
                    hot, so be careful. Some companies (Cwejman for instance) have modules that
                    give you dedicated balanced outputs. The Harvestman produces the 'Stilton
                    Adaptor' which allows you to incorporate guitar effects into your modular
                    signal path. Conversely, a module like the A-119 makes it easier to get
                    outside signals into your system and also derives an envelope.

                    Modular signals generally come in two flavours: Audio and control. Audio is
                    better handles by mixers with an exponential characteristic, CV by a linear
                    one.

                    What's the easiest way to bring external audio into the system?

                    See above.

                    How do I know I'm not bringing in too hot a signal?

                    The worst that can happen really is that you overdrive a filter or an amp
                    and people do that intentionally all the time. Things that would get you
                    banned in a normal studio like creating feedback are actively encouraged in
                    modular land. All this goes for studio level signals. If you insist in
                    connecting the output stage of your 5000 W amp to the modular you will fry
                    something, possibly yourself.

                    How do I lock LFO cycles etc to Midi clock, and what the hell is a CV clock
                    divider?

                    You need a Midi interface like the A-190 that outputs a clock signal. If you
                    have a VCLFO like the A-147 you can then synchronise it to the clock. If
                    your LFO has a reset input you can use the clock signal to reset it. This
                    isn't exactly tempo synchronised but will give you rhythmic effects that fit
                    your chosen time signature. The VX 351 doesn't output clock, as far as I can
                    tell.

                    A clock divider gives you inverse multiples of your original clock signal,
                    i.e. slower beats.

                    And most importantly, how do I make that wonderful Buchla BOINK! Lol.

                    People usually use lowpass gates for this, like the A-101-2 or the Make
                    Noise QMMG. I had surprisingly good results feeding the outputs of an A-127
                    into itself. As for Plan B there are several threads covering the company
                    over at Muffwiggler (There! I said it! Hahahahahaha!). You might want to
                    check them before taking that particular road to hell.

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 23 , May 4, 2010
                      > These are all things I figured I'd really want pretty fast, and I
                      > got good deals on them.

                      Nothing wrong with the quad LFO for more LFO sources but it's useful
                      to have some LFOs you can modulate the speed of

                      > Obviously I'll need some VCOs, a noise generator, a mixer, etc. Can
                      > someone point me straight?

                      The VX-351 will put out the Voyager noise source at all times so
                      that's a start since it's just split off so it doesn't change when the
                      Voyager is also using it too. Colored noise is filtered or slewed
                      noise so it's a matter of processing with other modules or getting
                      noise module with features built in. But then there are dedicated
                      random and semi random generating modules (Wogglebug, Sources of
                      Uncertainty, etc.) that would take a large number of other modules to
                      more or less duplicate.

                      > Are the Doefer basic VCOs worth it?

                      Yes. Obviously there is a big range of prices and capabilities.

                      > Is the Darkstar module a nice alternative?

                      I think you mean Dark Energy (and there is an A-100 mountable
                      version). It's mainly if you want a more or less modular synth voice
                      in one package. As with anything there are strengths or weaknesses. I
                      wouldn't really consider it a VCO substitute since you are paying for
                      a whole synth and the VCO portion is quite basic.

                      > What's the best way to mix my signals (and output them to the board/
                      > headphones)?

                      Mixer modules come in Audio and Control Voltage flavors. One built for
                      a modular can use either kind of input. The difference is much in the
                      pot markings. Say a 50% setting on CV into an audio modular mixer
                      won't sound like 50% like audio into it would, same with audio into a
                      CV mixer. But it will still sound okay. You could mix your modular
                      audio in a regular non-modular mixer though as mentioned it may be a
                      very hot signal. You do not want to send CV into a regular non-modular
                      mixer though it won't necessarily break it

                      > What's the easiest way to bring external audio into the system?

                      Someone did bring up a good point that a modular uses hotter than
                      usual but typically not damaging hot unbalanced line signals. If your
                      setup happens to be balanced then you'll need some conversion. But
                      then again you've surely used a lot of line level synths, so you
                      already have that down. Generally a decent unbalanced line level in is
                      all you need to process external audio, so you can likely use what you
                      have to say preamp a mic or get a guitar up to a line level or maybe a
                      balanced signal to an unbalanced line properly. There are also modules
                      available to preamp lower signals.

                      So basically it's unlikely you can fry too much bearing in mind things
                      like super low frequency hot signals can come out of a modular and
                      perhaps some DIY kinds of devices have crazy spikes or summed voltages
                      that could fry anything, not just a modular. Some things that can
                      reduce lingering doubt is a voltmeter.

                      A small decent regular mixer is great to have. That way you have a
                      familiar channel in between the modular and something like a monitor
                      or a AD converter

                      > How do I know I'm not bringing in too hot a signal?
                      > How do I lock LFO cycles etc to Midi clock, and what the hell is a
                      > CV clock divider?

                      There really aren't many or any analog modules that lock from the get
                      go. Generally a MIDI to CV converter will generate LFOs though
                      different converters have different capabilities. There are also
                      elaborate patches or ways to get sort of tempo sync that are not very
                      flexible. For instance LFO reset isn't tempo sync but with some waves
                      if you get close in tempo the sync effect will give you good timing
                      but imperfect waves. Or one could generate separate events to a beat
                      and slew them into an LFO or use them to trigger envelopes that would
                      form an LFO.

                      A clock divider in it's basic form counts voltage events going in (an
                      "on" followed by an "off) and only sends out the division it's set up
                      for. Like a divide by 4 clock would only send out every 4th clock
                      going in

                      > And most importantly, how do I make that wonderful Buchla BOINK! Lol.

                      Look for a lowpass gate module. There are several including Doepfer.
                      I'd say the favorite is the QMMG because you get 4 nice ones. All the
                      brands sound different and even the same model will vary due to analog
                      parts. It uses light inside a sealed plastic container. A super short
                      envelope will output a rounded behavior that is more "organic" than a
                      slew. Then you get an optional lowpass filter mode that adds a
                      dampened effect to an otherwise short event. A regular envelope works
                      too, but the classic sound is usually a very simple short CV

                      > Manuals and product brochures are great, but I want to tap into the
                      > huge amount of hands on experience that this group has! People sell
                      > used modules all the time. Must be a good reason. I appreciate your
                      > patience and you'll find that some of my knowledge is quite
                      > sophisticated, while certain obvious things have totally eluded me!

                      Though a big factor for selling modules is there are only a half dozen
                      shops at most to even attempt to try something out plus resale prices
                      are great compared to say buying expensive digital gear and wanting to
                      sell it later.

                      The best thing is to try stuff out and then ask around about specific
                      questions.

                    • nerf@rogers.com
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 5, 2010
                        Once again my thanks.

                        I've poked around a little about Plan B, and yes, it seems like a very sketchy way to go. ;-) I'll be looking for a USED low pass gate! On a similar topic, do modules fail that often, or are they largely bulletproof?

                        And yes, I meant Dark Energy. Brain Fart.

                        I'm a tad confused on the power supply thing. I have an A100p9 case. I gather this is only a 12v power supply? Some modules need a 5v additional supply though?

                        Also the system bus doesn't make any sense to me. Why is Gate and CV sent along the bus to all modules even if they're not used? Is this just used to power the modules or does it provide an internal pre-patched connection between modules like in a semi-modular synth?

                        Finally, this might help me get my head around things; can I use a lag processor to apply say delayed vibrato? Would the amplitude of the pitch variation be at full as soon as the delay time was up, or would it gradually ramp up to full amplitude? Two very different concepts.

                        BTW I now have a third ADSR and still no sound sources! LOL. Anyone know where I can print off a list of modules so I can print them off and tape them to the wall to get my eBay addiction on a short leash?

                        Bruce

                        PS anyone want an AS15 rackmount case with power supply? I bought it before the analog red mist took over my brain and said, "On my command, release Hell!"
                      • zaum
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 6, 2010
                          > I've poked around a little about Plan B, and yes, it seems like a
                          > very sketchy way to go. ;-)
                          > I'll be looking for a USED low pass gate! On a similar topic, do
                          > modules fail that often, or are they largely bulletproof?

                          He let some improperly built ones out the door too. But still when
                          they work quite a number show inspired design (mmm aside jokes about
                          inspired by Buchla). On Low Pass Gates, his was the early front runner
                          but by no means the only one out there, one has to mention Doepfer's
                          on the Doepfer list of course. A good value with good features. The
                          Plan B one though seems to me is simpler, a little lower noise and
                          what made it the early favorite was the decay properties are quite
                          "jazzed" up and prominent . These days the favorite is the Make Noise
                          QMMG, which is a big dose (4 of them) with all sorts of special
                          features. There are also the Borg 1 & 2 designed by Wiard which have
                          different filter characteristics and are sort of a hybrid LPG.

                          I wouldn't say there are large numbers of failures but it can and will
                          happen like most other gear.

                          > I'm a tad confused on the power supply thing. I have an A100p9 case.
                          > I gather this is only a 12v power supply? Some modules need a 5v
                          > additional supply though?

                          There is an inexpensive converter that can run 1 module. You'd plug it
                          into the same row and it converts enough existing voltage. Good since
                          you don't need to plug it in the mains and don't need to run another
                          cable into the case or something similar. Other options would be a
                          case like the AS15 with 5v built in. I've moved 5v modules into cases
                          that have 5v from cases that didn't

                          > Also the system bus doesn't make any sense to me. Why is Gate and CV
                          > sent along the bus to all modules even if they're not used? Is this
                          > just used to power the modules or does it provide an internal pre-
                          > patched connection between modules like in a semi-modular synth?

                          Gate and CV along the bus aren't power, more or less as you say, it's
                          in the spec to make optional frequently used connections. A bit of a
                          problem is many modules ignore it but that does no real harm. If some
                          modules you like use it then you might find it handy.

                          > Finally, this might help me get my head around things; can I use a
                          > lag processor to apply say delayed vibrato? Would the amplitude of
                          > the pitch variation be at full as soon as the delay time was up, or
                          > would it gradually ramp up to full amplitude? Two very different
                          > concepts.

                          A lag processor is potentially a source of portamento, not vibrato.
                          Smoothing out a voltage change. Delayed vibrato is traditionally
                          introducing an LFO into a VCO after the note has started. One way of
                          doing it is to run the LFO through a VCA and then delay an envelope
                          for the VCA. It's true that it's just thrown into many classic non-
                          modular synths but is a bit of a patch on a modular.

                          > BTW I now have a third ADSR and still no sound sources! LOL.

                          I think your filters could be making sine waves on their own and that
                          LFO might be audible though not exactly playable. Not that either will
                          replace a proper VCO

                          > Anyone know where I can print off a list of modules so I can print
                          > them off and tape them to the wall to get my eBay addiction on a
                          > short leash?

                          Don't know how serious you are here. Doepfer's site has a list. There
                          is no list of everyone out there, for one reason there have been quite
                          a few built in tiny numbers. The line between commercial and DIY is
                          often hazy.

                          > Bruce
                          >
                          > PS anyone want an AS15 rackmount case with power supply? I bought it
                          > before the analog red mist took over my brain and said, "On my
                          > command, release Hell!"

                          You could eventually expand into it if you have something else now.
                          The Muff Wiggler board is a good place to sell stuff. Someone will
                          surely ask you if it's the all Analogue Systems connectors older
                          version or the both ASys and Doepfer connector version.
                        • York Luethje
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 6, 2010
                            Take a look at

                            http://mega.modularplanner.co.uk/

                            That list seems pretty comprehensive to me. 32 manufacturers and you
                            absolutely must have every one of their modules.

                            _____

                            Message 13 of 23 , May 6, 2010
                              Hi Folks,

                              A couple of people emailed me about my AS15 6u rackmount case. Here's the poop.I bought it brand new from bigcitymusic.com before I went berserk and bought the 9U Doepfer. Nothing's ever even been mounted in it. It's the new one with the Doepfer sockets as well. I paid $569 plus shipping for it. I'd take $450, or I'd swap for some modules. I need noise sources, but amuse me with offers. Wifey say no more modular purchases as I just bought a house.

                              Blah blah blah:

                              The robust power supply in Analogue Systems' latest version rs15 is the best you can find. It boasts a full 1.5 amp (1500mA) capacity. +5 volt rails are standard, so when using modules with LCD screens, such as the rs370 Polyphonic Harmonic Generator module, you are good to go! Nothing needs to be added; no extra money needs to be spent. Both Analogue Systems and Doepfer-style sockets are included: 14 Analogue Systems sockets and 8 Doepfer-style sockets.

                              Bruce from Chicqago
                            • nerf@rogers.com
                              Message 14 of 23 , May 6, 2010
                                I like your thinking sir!

                              • nerf@rogers.com
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 6, 2010
                                  AS 6U case FS/FT

                                  Hi Folks,

                                  A couple of people emailed me about my AS15 6u rackmount case. Here's the poop.I bought it brand new from bigcitymusic before I went berserk and bought the 9U Doepfer. Nothing's ever even been mounted in it. It's the new one with the Doepfer sockets as well. I paid $569 plus shipping for it. I'd take $450, or I'd swap for some modules. I need noise sources, but amuse me with offers. Wifey says no more modular purchases as I just bought a house. :-(

                                  Blah blah blah:

                                  The robust power supply in Analogue Systems' latest version rs15 is the best you can find. It boasts a full 1.5 amp (1500mA) capacity. +5 volt rails are standard, so when using modules with LCD screens, such as the rs370 Polyphonic Harmonic Generator module, you are good to go! Nothing needs to be added; no extra money needs to be spent. Both Analogue Systems and Doepfer-style sockets are included: 14 Analogue Systems sockets and 8 Doepfer-style sockets.

                                  Bruce from Chicago
                                • Richard Scott
                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 7, 2010
                                    Hi

                                    I just got a A-100AD5 +5V low cost adapter. Its not quitw what I
                                    expected. I was expecting an input socket and an output - I have no
                                    idea how to use it!

                                    Richard
                                  • david.salter@thomsonreuters.com
                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 7, 2010
                                      Richard you plug it into the distribution board, it takes 12V of the bus
                                      and puts 5V back to the bus.

                                      David

                                      * * *
                                      David Salter
                                      Senior Consultant

                                      SSG UKI

                                      Thomson Reuters

                                      O +44 (0)20 7542 2402X 52402
                                      M 07990562402

                                      david.salter@...
                                      thomsonreuters.com <http://thomsonreuters.com/>

                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 7, 2010
                                        Thanks David

                                        I assumed I needed one for each 5 v module but works for the whole board
                                        - so its a bit cleverer than I thought :)

                                        Richard

                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 7, 2010
                                          Richard,

                                          Your welcome

                                          It's unlikely but the adapter is limited to a few hundred milliamps, so
                                          keep that in mind.

                                          If you want to power a lot of 5V stuff you'll need to increase the heat
                                          sink size, then it will take up to 1Amp.

                                          David

                                          * * *
                                          David Salter
                                          Senior Consultant
                                          SSG UKI

                                          Thomson Reuters

                                          O +44 (0)20 7542 2402X 52402
                                          M 07990562402

                                          david.salter@...
                                          thomsonreuters.com

                                            Message 21 of 23 , May 7, 2010
                                              Yeah, my wife recently bought a very effective module blocking device. It's
                                              called a Smith & Wesson.

                                              _____

                                              > That list seems pretty comprehensive to me. 32 manufacturers and you
                                              > absolutely must have every one of their modules.
                                              >

                                              > _____
                                              >
                                              > Von: Doepfer_a100@ <mailto:Doepfer_a100%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
                                              > I've poked around a little about Plan B, and yes, it seems like a very
                                              > sketchy way to go. ;-) I'll be looking for a USED low pass gate! On a
                                              > similar topic, do modules fail that often, or are they largely
                                              bulletproof?

                                              > And yes, I meant Dark Energy. Brain Fart.
                                              >
                                              > I'm a tad confused on the power supply thing. I have an A100p9 case. I
                                              > gather this is only a 12v power supply? Some modules need a 5v additional
                                              > supply though?
                                              >
                                              > Also the system bus doesn't make any sense to me. Why is Gate and CV sent
                                              > along the bus to all modules even if they're not used? Is this just used
                                              > power the modules or does it provide an internal pre-patched connection
                                              > between modules like in a semi-modular synth?
                                              >
                                              > Finally, this might help me get my head around things; can I use a lag
                                              > processor to apply say delayed vibrato? Would the amplitude of the pitch
                                              > variation be at full as soon as the delay time was up, or would it
                                              gradually
                                              > ramp up to full amplitude? Two very different concepts.
                                              >
                                              > BTW I now have a third ADSR and still no sound sources! LOL. Anyone know
                                              > where I can print off a list of modules so I can print them off and tape
                                              > them to the wall to get my eBay addiction on a short leash?
                                              >
                                              > Bruce
                                              >
                                              > PS anyone want an AS15 rackmount case with power supply? I bought it
                                              before
                                              > the analog red mist took over my brain and said, "On my command, release
                                              > Hell!"

                                            • Richard Scott
                                              Message 22 of 23 , May 7, 2010
                                                according to Dieter the mA is just a matter of the heatsink so in
                                                principle a bigger heatsink will allow it to feed a number of modules

                                                Richard

                                                Message 23 of 23 , May 7, 2010
                                                  yes, i think this is true.