Re: AW: AW: [Doepfer_a100] Re: i have 8K euros for a moduler system. what to buy

  • Denis Gökdag
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 12, 2010
      You can easily spend 8k on cabling alone :-)

      Actually my Pacarana arrived today and is now sitting on top of my
      Capybara *without* any mortgages.

      The good thing, and at the same time the DANGEROUS thing, about euro-
      rack stuff is that you can toss a �100 at it every now and then,
      eventually spending crazy amounts in total, but never realizing it.
      After all, it's *just* a hundred.... (and a hundred, and a hundred,
      and a hundred...).

      Pretty much like drugs, these modules. Just more addictive. And they
      last longer LOL

      Denis

      On Apr 12, 2010, at 11:48 AM, York Luethje wrote:

      > And now you are beginning to realise that 8k are merely your
      > entrance fee.
      > Have you mortgaged your firstborn yet?
      >
      > _

    • berniedankman2
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 12, 2010
        Andreas I second what bakis wrote. Go with a monster case a 9u or a diy case and go euro.
        As for experimental modules out side the box I say Make Noise makes good modules. as Doepfer for makes the best utilities. I have maybe 60% doepfer 15% bubblesound ,10% make noise, 5% live wirs. thats how my case is set up. bubblesound has a ulfo that is awesome for lfo duties or for a vco. make noise qmmg and maths is a must and doepfer vcos are great for low cost. not to mention the 140 and 141 adsrs 140 for simple egs and 141 for vcadsr is great. now for sequencers i recommend the doepfer 154/154 combo for tons of flexablility and options. i recomend them highly. any more questions feel free to msg me. or check out muffwiggler for more euro module opinions. have a great time getting into modulars. welcome.

        Droctave
        Wade

        http://www.youtube.com/user/DrOctave1?feature=mhw5

        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 12, 2010
          The good thing, and at the same time the DANGEROUS thing, about euro-
          > rack stuff is that you can toss a �100 at it every now and then,
          > eventually spending crazy amounts in total, but never realizing it.
          > After all, it's *just* a hundred.... (and a hundred, and a hundred,
          > and a hundred...).
          >
          > Pretty much like drugs, these modules. Just more addictive. And they
          > last longer LOL

          LOL! sounds so familiar ;-)

          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 12, 2010
            My 2 cents:
            Buy plenty of VCAs!!!!

            On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 10:10 PM, achtung_999 <
            heinrich.himmelwasser@...> wrote:

            > The good thing, and at the same time the DANGEROUS thing, about euro-
            >> rack stuff is that you can toss a �100 at it every now and then,
            >> eventually spending crazy amounts in total, but never realizing it.
            >> After all, it's *just* a hundred.... (and a hundred, and a hundred,
            >> and a hundred...).
            >>
            >> Pretty much like drugs, these modules. Just more addictive. And they
            >> last longer LOL
            >>

            > LOL! sounds so familiar ;-)

          • andreashaun2000
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 13, 2010
              hi,

              where can i buy a buchla for 8k?
            • andreashaun2000
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 13, 2010
                hi,

                i like selfmoving patterns like the ppl arabesque from boobtube
              • andreashaun2000
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 13, 2010
                  this kyma thing is very interesting. did this software give us oscilators and control structures like in a modular system or is everything sample based?
                • Richard Scott
                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 13, 2010
                    You can buy a very small one from Buchla and Associates. there are some
                    interesting threads about which modules are appropriate for very small
                    buchla systems on the Muffwigglers forum.

                    Richard

                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 13, 2010
                      No kyma has oscillators too.
                      I worked with it several years ago when studying electronic music.
                      It's nice. But to be honest I think it's still software.
                      And let's face it more and more is possible with native computer processing.
                      To me the kyma system is becoming more and more obsolete because of this.
                      I used to love Kyma for its spectral processing which was at that time not
                      really possible with most native running software.
                      Nowadays it is...

                      And be ready to learn some Small Talk programming cause you'll need it.
                      It is far removed from patching leads into modules...
                      Another thing that annoyed me a lot about Kyma was that it was almost
                      impossible (at that time) to start with a clean slate.
                      You always had to adapt an already existing environement.. I don't know if
                      that has changed but...

                      Again I have not used it in years.. But I doubt it has changed a lot.

                      On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 10:06 PM, andreashaun2000
                      <andreashaun2000@...>wrote:

                      > this kyma thing is very interesting. did this software give us oscilators
                      > and control structures like in a modular system or is everything sample
                      > based?

                    • dustin sedlacek
                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 13, 2010
                        Look at the http://www.malekkoheavyindustry.com/index.php stuff and spend
                        some time on http://www.muffwiggler.com/ to get the best perspective on
                        things.

                      • zaum
                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 14, 2010
                          >where can i buy a buchla for 8k?

                          Buchla.com is the only dealer other than the occasional used module
                          going for near 100% of list price. Buchla usually has a deal with a
                          dealer or 2 like noisebug to park a demo system at their store or get
                          one to a trade show, but if you asked to buy one new, you would be
                          put in contact with Buchla.

                          As for price, you can get a very minimal one for $1750 if you want a
                          very minimal one (their 291e triple filter self oscillates x3, has 3
                          VCAs and an 8 step sequencer for all parameters and they have a 2
                          module powered case that's quite affordable).

                          In hindsight they unintentionally left some net impressions 5 or so
                          years ago that are still buzzing around on the net, like you needed
                          to buy $20K worth (presumably because they sent a $20K system to a
                          couple magazines for review) and that it's a software based system
                          because they tried to use a good amount of digital technology inside
                          analog modules to it's best advantage.

                          Anyway back on topic. It's easy to think that "I'm going to research
                          and ask some people and then buy a great system with all my money and
                          I'll be happy forever". It's nearly impossible. The best advice is to
                          get a bit more than a small system, hold on to a good part of the
                          money and then use the system a while. You using a system and then
                          adding to it is always the best way to build a larger system. You
                          don't want to buy a totally minimal system unless you have to because
                          a really small modular isn't the best way to take advantage of what a
                          modular offers. Look at classic monosynths to get an idea of the
                          number of vcos, vcas, etc. as well as look at a suggested system
                          configuration to get a start and then see where you need to add to it
                          by using it a while. If there is a module that totally seems
                          fantastic you ought to just get it so it doesn't make you impatient.
                          Then you have a chance to be patient and see what you need to turn it
                          into a more ideal system.