If anyone cares about graphic VCOs or DCOs

  • Andreas Lindholm
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
      I thought I should drop you a line to inform you very briefly that I have
      been in contact with Dieter Doepfer himself. He did respond in quite some
      depth to my questions and proposals to the making of a graphic oscillator
      digital or pure analog. To sum things up he thinks a DCO with vc control
      will be very expensive (more than an a111) and a graphical oscillator is
      according to him of little use anyway since it doesn't sound as fantastic as
      I am others seem to believe.

      As for improovements of the A110 and A111 I got very polite responses that
      they don't plan anything like that and consider the VCOs as perfect as they
      need to be. So the A200 line seems out of the question.

      I don't urge anybody to pest Doepfer about these things, but if you feel
      strongly about it you could drop a line of your own. For my own part I have
      gotten all the answers I needed. It is always good to know the why's and why
      not's about things like theese.

      /Andreas
    • Paul Schulz
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
        Andreas wrote:
        >To sum things up he thinks a DCO with vc control will be very expensive (more than an a111)

        That´s ridiculous in my eyes. How did Analogue Soultions manage to build a Wavetable VCO with voltage controllable Pitch, Wave and Bank for just £93 ???? That IS cheaper than a A-111 indeed, although it´s a powerful VC-digital module as the DCO would be.

        best,
        Paul

      • jmaddocks1975
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
          What about doepfer's own A-112 sampler module, isn't this digital
          and still cheap?

          Perhaps people who are interested in a DCO should look at this
          module first, very powerful module and worth its money!
          Also, its a Wavetable VCO with voltage controllable Pitch as
          Analogue Solutions.

          John.

          --- In Doepfer_a100@y..., "Paul Schulz" <dasfonk@w...> wrote:
          > Andreas wrote:
          > >To sum things up he thinks a DCO with vc control will be very
          expensive (more than an a111)

          > That´s ridiculous in my eyes. How did Analogue Soultions manage to
          build a Wavetable VCO with voltage controllable Pitch, Wave and Bank
          for just £93 ???? That IS cheaper than a A-111 indeed, although it´s
          a powerful VC-digital module as the DCO would be.

          > best,
          > Paul

        • Andreas Lindholm
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
            Well, I am not sold on the 8-bit idea. Sure it can be fun to have a sample
            degraded to 8bits, but I really think that 16 bit 44khz is a reasonable
            standard for sound. Otherwise the a-112 seems like a good module.

            > What about doepfer's own A-112 sampler module, isn't this digital
            > and still cheap?
            >
            > Perhaps people who are interested in a DCO should look at this
            > module first, very powerful module and worth its money!
            > Also, its a Wavetable VCO with voltage controllable Pitch as
            > Analogue Solutions.
            >
            > John.
            >

            > --- In Doepfer_a100@y..., "Paul Schulz" <dasfonk@w...> wrote:
            > > Andreas wrote:
            > > >To sum things up he thinks a DCO with vc control will be very
            > expensive (more than an a111)
            > >
            > > That´s ridiculous in my eyes. How did Analogue Soultions manage to
            > build a Wavetable VCO with voltage controllable Pitch, Wave and Bank
            > for just £93 ???? That IS cheaper than a A-111 indeed, although it´s
            > a powerful VC-digital module as the DCO would be.
            > >
            > > best,
            > > Paul

          • Andreas Lindholm
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
              Ridiculous, I wouldn't use such strong words, but with prices dropping on
              PCs and stuff I do agree that it seems strange.
              I couldn't find any such module on AS homepage, do you know the number of
              it?

              > That´s ridiculous in my eyes. How did Analogue Soultions manage to build a
              Wavetable VCO with voltage controllable Pitch, Wave and Bank for just £93
              ???? That IS cheaper than a A-111 indeed, although it´s a powerful
              VC-digital module as the DCO would be.

              > best,
              > Paul

            • jmaddocks1975
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
                but 8-bit is fine for waveforms.

                I agree a DCO would be an excellent module and one I would buy
                straight away. I really like the DCO in my CZ-1000 (everything else
                on the synth is boring but the DCO's are very unique) but the A-112
                can be an excellent oscillator!
                No need to limit it to sampling beats are vocals, use it for new
                waveforms. Believe me its far better than you imagine. It took me a
                long time to buy one because I wasn't sure it could offer anything
                new but I love it.

                --- In Doepfer_a100@y..., "Andreas Lindholm"
                <andreas.k.lindholm@t...> wrote:
                > Well, I am not sold on the 8-bit idea. Sure it can be fun to have
                a sample
                > degraded to 8bits, but I really think that 16 bit 44khz is a
                reasonable
                > standard for sound. Otherwise the a-112 seems like a good module.

                DCOs

                > > What about doepfer's own A-112 sampler module, isn't this digital
                > > and still cheap?
                > >
                > > Perhaps people who are interested in a DCO should look at this
                > > module first, very powerful module and worth its money!
                > > Also, its a Wavetable VCO with voltage controllable Pitch as
                > > Analogue Solutions.
                > >
                > > John.
                > >

                > > --- In Doepfer_a100@y..., "Paul Schulz" <dasfonk@w...> wrote:
                > > expensive (more than an a111)
                > > >
                > > > That´s ridiculous in my eyes. How did Analogue Soultions
                manage to
                > > build a Wavetable VCO with voltage controllable Pitch, Wave and
                Bank
                > > for just £93 ???? That IS cheaper than a A-111 indeed, although
                it´s
                > > a powerful VC-digital module as the DCO would be.
                > > >
                > > > best,
                > > > Paul

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • jmaddocks1975
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
                  The module he means is Analoge Solutions 'VCO-WT Wavetable VCO'

                  I agree that a DCO should be cheap to make, how cheap are soundcards
                  these days??

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
                    That´s exactly it. http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~concuss/concussor/vco-wt.htm
                    I had the chance to play it on the ASol Vostok Matrixsynth last weekend. Wonderful module, i prefer it to the A-112. Just look at this bubble-display... :-)

                    Paul

                    <andreas.k.lindholm@t...> wrote:
                    > Ridiculous, I wouldn't use such strong words, but with prices
                    dropping on
                    > PCs and stuff I do agree that it seems strange.
                    > I couldn't find any such module on AS homepage, do you know the
                    number of
                    > it?
                    >

                    > > That´s ridiculous in my eyes. How did Analogue Soultions manage
                    to build a
                    > Wavetable VCO with voltage controllable Pitch, Wave and Bank for
                    just £93
                    > ???? That IS cheaper than a A-111 indeed, although it´s a powerful
                    > VC-digital module as the DCO would be.
                    > >
                    > > best,
                    > > Paul

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • bakis Sirros
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
                      hi list,
                      the a112 it's not just a sampler,it a wavetable
                      oscillator!!!you can load wavs to it and it then can
                      play then in 256 parts(their order is voltage
                      controlled!)and the sample-playback rate is voltage
                      controlled.you can make wavetables in the computer and
                      then load them to the a112.so,it is a wavetable
                      osc.AND an 8-bit sampler.i have three of them and use
                      them for low-fi sounds and effects.if you use the
                      lo-fi delay mode you can make some very good
                      soundscapes with it too...you can use it in "monitor"
                      mode as a bit decimator module(like on the nord
                      modular module) and pass all your a100 sounds thru it
                      to make them sound really destroyed!very good!
                      bakis.

                      wrote:
                      > Well, I am not sold on the 8-bit idea. Sure it can
                      > be fun to have a sample
                      > degraded to 8bits, but I really think that 16 bit
                      > 44khz is a reasonable
                      > standard for sound. Otherwise the a-112 seems like a
                      > good module.

                      =====
                      synthfreak(parallel worlds)
                      athens-greece
                      [Doepfer_a100] group owner-moderator

                      http://health.yahoo.com
                    • code_pig
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
                        Damn you, Bakis. I'm an old PPG fanatic (as well as Waldorf freak),
                        and NEED wavetable oscillators.

                        In short, you've just cost me money, as I HAD to order an A112 after
                        reading your message. I was hesitating until now.

                        Damn you (in the best possible way).

                        Regards,
                        Kevin