Re: [Doepfer_a100] Re: latest info from Doepfer...

  • james.husted@mac.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 4, 2009
      On Dec 4, 2009, at 3:32 AM, Bakis Sirros wrote:

      > i think the reason is that Dark Energy has a special filter design (with linear fm of the filter frequency) and that was a reason to be available as an A100 module, plus the fact that, as Dieter told me, the A111-5 module was developed before the Dark energy!
      >
      > the Dark Matter, apart from saving space and money, will have nothing special that is not already available in the A100 module range.

      I think the size difference and cost difference mentioned earlier factor in a large amount to most users. Even if the Dark energy has a different filter (will it aver be released as a separate module?) - the MAIN reason people buy it is because it packs so many modules into a small space. That is why the new SEM is getting so much attention. If the SEM was released as a euro module the Dark energy would have some stiff competition cause of the SEM's multimode filter and dual VCOs. Dual VCOs is a must for me. I feel I have to add a A-137-1, A-137-2, A-116 or a second VCO to a A-115 and the addition of a "Dark Matter" module would be perfect. If he is making the PCBs why not make them usable for both and see what happens sale wise?

      > as for the Dark time: i do not know if it will save any space compared to an a155, and the price i guess would be very similar to the A155...
      >
      > ok, the Dark Time may have a few features of the a154 too, so then, the dark time will save some money and space compared to the A154 & A155 combi, but still, i do not know if it would justify its existence as a new a100 module....

      The Shaltwerk is programmed/played so differently than a A155 that comparisons are hard to do. The Shaltwerk would by design not need a quantizer but would not play "between the notes" as easily (being MIDI based") as the A155. I am a module whore by nature though - the more the merrier for me!

      -James

      James Husted
      www.synthwerks.com
      thesynthwerks@...
      synthwerks@...
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 4, 2009
        the mini-schaltwerk A100 module is on the way.... it will be awesome.

        the Dark Time stand-alone sequencer is different and has nothing to do with the schaltwerk. it is similar to a155.

        Bakis Sirros - Parallel Worlds / Interconnected / Memory Geist

        [Doepfer_a100] group owner

        www. parallel - worlds - music. com

        www. myspace. com/ parallelworldsmusic

        www. myspace. com/ interconnectedmusic

        www. myspace. com/ memorygeist

        www. DiN. org. uk

        www. musicamaximamagnetica. com

        www. shimarecords. co. uk

        www. rubberrecords. gr

        Athens - Greece

        On Dec 4, 2009, at 3:32 AM, Bakis Sirros wrote:

        > i think the reason is that Dark Energy has a special filter design (with linear fm of the filter frequency) and that was a reason to be available as an A100 module, plus the fact that, as Dieter told me, the A111-5 module was developed before the Dark energy!

        > the Dark Matter, apart from saving space and money, will have nothing special that is not already available in the A100 module range.

        I think the size difference and cost difference mentioned earlier factor in a large amount to most users. Even if the Dark energy has a different filter (will it aver be released as a separate module?) - the MAIN reason people buy it is because it packs so many modules into a small space. That is why the new SEM is getting so much attention. If the SEM was released as a euro module the Dark energy would have some stiff competition cause of the SEM's multimode filter and dual VCOs. Dual VCOs is a must for me. I feel I have to add a A-137-1, A-137-2, A-116 or a second VCO to a A-115 and the addition of a "Dark Matter" module would be perfect. If he is making the PCBs why not make them usable for both and see what happens sale wise?

        > as for the Dark time: i do not know if it will save any space compared to an a155, and the price i guess would be very similar to the A155...

        > ok, the Dark Time may have a few features of the a154 too, so then, the dark time will save some money and space compared to the A154 & A155 combi, but still, i do not know if it would justify its existence as a new a100 module....

        The Shaltwerk is programmed/played so differently than a A155 that comparisons are hard to do. The Shaltwerk would by design not need a quantizer but would not play "between the notes" as easily (being MIDI based") as the A155. I am a module whore by nature though - the more the merrier for me!

        -James

        James Husted

        www.synthwerks. com

        thesynthwerks@ gmail.com

        synthwerks@me. com

      • thomas_escure
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 16, 2009
          I'm very excited about that "Mini Schaltwerk" module !
          But is it going to have trigger output as well as gate, for triggering drum modules ? I'd LOVE that.
          Also, is it going to be an 8 track sequencer like the Schaltwerk ?

          Thomas

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 16, 2009
            > I'm very excited about that "Mini Schaltwerk" module !
            > But is it going to have trigger output as well as gate, for
            > triggering drum modules ? I'd LOVE that.
            > Also, is it going to be an 8 track sequencer like the Schaltwerk ?
            >
            > Thomas

            For the A-1?? Trigger Sequencer only trigger outputs are planned. The
            trigger length is defined by the pulsewidth of the clock signal that
            controls the unit (same as for the A-155 trigger rows).

            The unit will be different from the Schaltwerk as it has no Midi and not the
            additional functions of Schaltwerk that were programmed by means of the
            display, encoder and additional menu buttons. It will output only triggers,
            no CVs like an analog sequencer. Only the step programming with LED+button
            is the same as for Schaltwerk (but much smaller).

            I hope we will finish the 8x16 step version for NAMM. But I cannot guarantee
            that (as well the appearance of a third prototype of the TKB with new
            working principle and 16 normal pads, i.e. no musical keyboard layout).

          • david.salter@thomsonreuters.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 16, 2009
              Dieter,

              I'm very happy you have pads and not keys on the TKB design, I hope you
              get it to NAMM so everyone gets to see it.

              David

              * * *
              David Salter
              Senior Consultant
              SSG UKI

              Thomson Reuters

              O +44 (0)20 7542 2402X 52402
              M 07990562402

              david.salter@...
              thomsonreuters.com <http://thomsonreuters.com/>

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 16, 2009
                Thank you Dieter for your answer,

                I really think I'm gonna love that new sequencer ; it seems it's gonna have exactly what I need !
                I don't need MIDI or CV, I don't need the additionnal fonctions... Only 8x 16 steps trigger tracks.
                Wonderful !

                If it's ready in summer, very good. If we have to wait a few months more, no problem.

                Thank you for your great work.

                Regards,

                Thomas