Re: [Doepfer_a100] doepfer ring mod mod-demod

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 5, 2009
      Oh and: The Doepfer ringmod sounds completely different than passive
      ringmods like Ken Stone's board..I known what I prefer...

      On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 2:09 AM, partlydrone <partlydrone@...> wrote:

      > hi there,
      >
      > out of interest, if i grab a doepfer ring mod, will it let me do the same
      > mod-demod stuff as the passive mod-demod module from the QMMG people? and
      > has anyone come across a sound sample of either on the web?

    • Shrewsbury Marie
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 5, 2009
        Hiya,

        Not sure what you mean by mod-demod stuff, but there is a demo of the doepfer ring mod here:

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrHrcpCGYHw

        out of interest, if i grab a doepfer ring mod, will it let me do the same mod-demod stuff as the passive mod-demod module from the QMMG people? and has anyone come across a sound sample of either on the web?

      • Brandon Daniel
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 5, 2009
          On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 5:09 PM, partlydrone <partlydrone@...> wrote:
          > out of interest, if i grab a doepfer ring mod, will it let me do the same mod-demod stuff as the passive mod-demod module from the QMMG people? and has anyone come across a sound sample of either on the web?

          http://bleep.fdiskc.com/2009/04/12/moddemod-video-demo/

          I like both styles of ring mod for different reasons, but there is
          definitely something very pleasing about the sound of a passive ring
          mod.

          -Brandon
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 5, 2009
            Ah as usual i did not read to well..To achieve mod-demod with doepfer stuff
            you'll patch this:

            oscillator1>>A114 (x input top Ringmod)
            oscillator2>>A114(y input top Ringmod)
            output top Ringmod >> x input bottom Ringmod
            oscillator2>>A175 invert out>> y input bottom Ringmod

            The output of the bottom Ringmod is now Mod - Demod out.
            Maybe over the top to mention but you'll have to split the output of
            oscillator2 with a multiple.
            Alternative for the A175 voltage inverter can be a polarizing mixer or
            something similar.
            Alternatively, something I often do, you can use the A143-9 as oscillator2.
            Use the 1st output (0º sine) to connect to the y input of the top RingMod
            and the 3rd output (180º sine) to connect to the y input of the second
            Ringmod.

            have fun!

            Ernst

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 5, 2009
              Thanks for explaining that, i've done similar things before but it wouldn't have ocurred to me to invert the signal there... must give that a try tomorrow! :D

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 5, 2009
                Well that is the key to the whole process. To have a 180º shift of the
                signal.Have fun! ;-)