Re: [Doepfer_a100] Modules for Effect-ing Drums

  • Greg Cerveny
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 7, 2009
      Hey All,

      Thanks for all the responses.

      Just to collect them:

      Distortion: a-136
      Bit crusher: a-189-1
      Envelope follower: a-119
      Ring mod: a-114
      Pitch Shift: a-126? anything else?
      Delay: a-188-2?
      Spring Reverb: a-199

      How is the envelop follower used on the drums? It generates an
      envelope to mirror the input, but then what does that control?
      Filters?

      I am correct in understanding that the ring modulator will require
      another oscillator as well?

      Are the bbd modules appropriate for drum delays? If so, how many stages?

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 7, 2009
        Hey Greg,
        The envelope follower generates an envelope that follows the input amplitude
        (duh!).
        The control voltage coming out can be used to control filters.. But also
        other modules like the A136 etc.
        You can even use it in combination with a voltage inverter and a VCA to do
        some compressor like things.
        This does however take some fine tuning and some patience...

        Yes, the ring modulator needs a second sound source to modulate the incoming
        signal with.
        This can be an oscillator. But another signal, for instance from a second
        external audio input can also be used.

        I am not familiar with the Doepfer BBD modules so maybe someone else can
        shine his/her light on that..
        Anyway the main thing with modulars is: learn a bit about the basics and
        then start to experiment with that.
        I have in the years of working with modular systems, found out that even my
        mistakes lead to fruitful and interesting new ideas!

        greetings,

        Ernst

        On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 5:24 PM, Greg Cerveny <greg.cerveny@...> wrote:

        > Hey All,
        >
        > Thanks for all the responses.
        >
        > Just to collect them:
        >
        > Distortion: a-136
        > Bit crusher: a-189-1
        > Envelope follower: a-119
        > Ring mod: a-114
        > Pitch Shift: a-126? anything else?
        > Delay: a-188-2?
        > Spring Reverb: a-199
        >
        > How is the envelop follower used on the drums? It generates an
        > envelope to mirror the input, but then what does that control?
        > Filters?
        >
        > I am correct in understanding that the ring modulator will require
        > another oscillator as well?
        >
        > Are the bbd modules appropriate for drum delays? If so, how many stages?
        >

        > On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 7:00 AM, Bakis Sirros<synth_freak_2000@...<synth_freak_2000%40yahoo.com>>
        > wrote:
        > >

        > > yes, that too!
        > >
        > > Bakis Sirros - Parallel Worlds / Interconnected / Memory Geist
        > >
        > > [Doepfer_a100] group owner
        > >
        > > www. parallel - worlds - music. com
        > >
        > > www. myspace. com/ parallelworldsmusic
        > >
        > > www. myspace. com/ interconnectedmusic
        > >
        > > www. myspace. com/ memorygeist
        > >
        > > www. DiN. org. uk
        > >
        > > www. musicamaximamagnetica. com
        > >
        > > www. shimarecords. co. uk
        > >
        > > www. rubberrecords. gr
        > >
        > > Athens - Greece
        > >
        > > --- On Tue, 7/7/09, achtung_999 <heinrich.himmelwasser@...<heinrich.himmelwasser%40gmail.com>>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > From: achtung_999 <heinrich.himmelwasser@...<heinrich.himmelwasser%40gmail.com>
        > >
        > > Subject: Re: [Doepfer_a100] Modules for Effect-ing Drums
        > > To: Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com <Doepfer_a100%40yahoogroups.com>
        > > Date: Tuesday, July 7, 2009, 2:12 PM
        > >
        > > The A199 spring reverb is a winner too on drumsounds.
        > >
        > > On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 9:22 AM, Bakis Sirros <synth_freak_ 2000@yahoo.
        > > com>wrote:
        > >

        > >> the A136 distortion/waveshap er module is also great with drums.
        > >

        > >> Bakis Sirros - Parallel Worlds / Interconnected / Memory Geist
        > >
        > >> [Doepfer_a100] group owner
        > >
        > >> www. parallel - worlds - music. com
        > >
        > >> www. myspace. com/ parallelworldsmusic
        > >
        > >> www. myspace. com/ interconnectedmusic
        > >
        > >> www. myspace. com/ memorygeist
        > >
        > >> www. DiN. org. uk
        > >
        > >> www. musicamaximamagneti ca. com
        > >
        > >> www. shimarecords. co. uk
        > >
        > >> www. rubberrecords. gr
        > >
        > >> Athens - Greece
        > >

        > >> --- On Tue, 7/7/09, dustin sedlacek <dustin.sedlacek@
        > >> gmail.com<dustin.sedlacek% 40gmail.com> >

      • Stu Grimshaw
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 8, 2009
          top of my list is the wasp filter. it's got the three filter shapes you need, plus it distorts excellently with audio sources when you want that.

          (the distortion module is great for oscillators that have a consistent output level, thus allowing small doses of distortion when needed, but you might find it too in-your-face-all-the-time for audio. at least, i did.)

          second on my list is a ring modulator, especially for my tr606, which could use some more modern sounds. klangs and donks, no problem!