Re: [Doepfer_a100] Re: Haken Continuum Controller for A100

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
      Hello

      > worse every dollar.
      I hope, you meant "worth"

      ;-)

      Florian
    • Jan-Hinnerk Helms
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
        John wrote:

        > I'm about to get one of these as a performance interface for my A100.
        > Question is: I'd like to buy it with the plain (unmarked) surface, but
        > I'm hearing that it's too hard to learn that way and that the marked
        > surface is the way to go. Anyone with experience have any opinions?

        Hi John,

        mine has the marked surface, and it helps a lot to hit notes. The
        marks have a slightly different feel to them, which aids in playing
        the continuum without having to look at it all the time. But as I am
        still learning to play it, I still have to look quite often, in fact
        most of the time :-)

        Although the marks do have a noticeable different feel to them, these
        differences do not cause noticeable friction restistance differences
        on my fingers when doing slides or gestures accross the surface.

        In low light conditions the marks look brighter than the unmarked
        areas, so it starts resembling a reversed-color keyboard, which can be
        confusing for me.

        All in all, the continuum is a really great and wonderful controller
        and instrument, and a joy to learn & play.

        Best regards,
        Jan-Hinnerk
      • John V. Talbert
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
          Thanks for all the feedback, Wolfgang, Jan and Florian! It's highly
          useful. Now that I'm actually making the purchase and having never
          played one in person, I realized that I needed a few opinions before
          making a final decision.

          @Wolfgang: Just wondering if you ever tried the Doepfer MCV-24 with
          the Continuum instead of the Haken CV?

          @Florian: I had an email discussion with Mr. Rainhart on this topic
          almost exactly one year ago (my how time flies!). He certainly was
          both very open and pleasant to communicate with and was able to offer
          plenty of insight.

          Thanks again, everyone.

          Kindest regards,
          John

          > Hi John,
          >
          > mine has the marked surface, and it helps a lot to hit notes. The
          > marks have a slightly different feel to them, which aids in playing
          > the continuum without having to look at it all the time. But as I am
          > still learning to play it, I still have to look quite often, in fact
          > most of the time :-)
          >
          > Although the marks do have a noticeable different feel to them, these
          > differences do not cause noticeable friction restistance differences
          > on my fingers when doing slides or gestures accross the surface.
          >
          > In low light conditions the marks look brighter than the unmarked
          > areas, so it starts resembling a reversed-color keyboard, which can be
          > confusing for me.
          >
          > All in all, the continuum is a really great and wonderful controller
          > and instrument, and a joy to learn & play.
          >
          > Best regards,
          > Jan-Hinnerk

        • nicholas_kent
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
            I've owned one a few months. At the time they offered a third Laser Etched option. If you look around on the site there still are some pictures.

            I guess the Continuum history is the first surface was unmarked and people did have a problems finding pitches. The laser etched surface was the second. It's definitely subtle in low lighting conditions but in decent light it's fine. The third and newest surface has the dyed sections for the black "keys". You can supposedly feel the dark areas but I've never actually tried one. The laser etched surface can be felt but it's really subtle. I've not found the touch of the etched lines a playing aid but with concentration it might be possible.

            Dr. Haken implied that it might be less durable but he also mentioned Jordan Rudess was the only user to ever need a replaced surface. My guess is he stopped offering the laser etched surface because of decreased orders but I don't know. He might even still offer it on request but that's just guessing, anyway last fall I knew I wanted some markings and definitely liked the laser etched look in photos. So my conclusion is I'm happy with the laser etched surface but now I think I might like the dyed surface to make the half steps even more obvious.

            As for playing it, it is quite different from a keyboard, not so much in the fingering as the pitch spacing is the same but the whole concept of pressure entirely controlling the amplitude. It doesn't seem like a huge difference but I think it is after I tried.

            There are a lot of inspiring configuration options so you can do things like send gates even velocity with some considerations of their behavior. I think the initial rounding feature is incredibly useful as well as a feature to subtly quantitize a pitch after a a user set amount of milliseconds. So when enabled the initial pitch from touching the surface will be "on the money" through quantitizing, then any sliding pitch change goes live, then on stopping the Continuum has an option to continue and slide subtly to a quantitized value.... and the quantitized values don't have to be even tempered, they are user programmable with the online web app that generates sysex for it.

            I'm excited about the onboard digital synth too. It's not very publicized (or programmable yet) as it's still in development, but it's creating polyphonic sound onboard and one can certainly send it through your modular if you want to.

            As for the CV interface, the Haken one has a lot more resolution because it's not actually dealing with MIDI (despite the use of a high spec MIDI cable for communications). As far as I know there is a decent discount (I forget the exact amount -- around $250? $300) for buying the CV unit with the Continuum at the same time so if you thought as I did after the Continuum purchase you might want to put off buying the CV interface for later then ironically it might cost you more in the end. Also my thinking is that if you are going to spend that much money on the Continuum with a CV instrument being what you plan to use and master it then you probably don't want to add a big compromise. Maybe if you only dabble with CV and mostly use software instruments or something then I could see why one might want to postpone the CV interface for later.
          • wolfgthiel
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
              --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, Florian Anwander <fanwander@...> wrote:

              > Hello
              >
              > > worse every dollar.
              > I hope, you meant "worth"
              >
              > ;-)
              >
              > Florian

              UUPPPS

              Worth every dollar !!
            • John V. Talbert
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 2, 2009
                Excellent feedback, Nicolas! Thank you. Yes, Lippold just yesterday
                mentioned the reasons for discontinuing the laser etched surface
                because of durability issues. I didn't get the impression that was
                still an option, but I suppose I could ask. After seeing Jordan
                Rudess' Continuum performance on YouTube, I can see why he'd need the
                surface replaced (and I don't mean that in a good way).

                After some discussion with Lippold, I've decided to try the Haken CV
                and compare it to the MCV-24. You're right, there would be more
                resolution in the Haken CV, but since I already have an MCV-24, it was
                at least worth trying it.

                Until I became more serious about purchasing the Continuum and
                increased my research, I had no idea there was an internal synth. So
                that was a bonus and I can't wait to hear it! But my original goal
                was to use it with both hardware and software instruments (A100,
                Microwave II, Nord Modular, Blofeld, Reaktor and other VSTs, PD, etc.
                and eventually Kyma)

                Thanks again for your insight. I'm informed my Continuum will ship
                Monday meaning I should have it by Tuesday or Wednesday. Then I
                essentially get to learn a whole new instrument! But I believe the
                effort will be worth it.

                John