Re: [Doepfer_a100] Re: Doepfer 3 x A180 multiples aluminium tube for portable suitecase

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 6, 2008
      Hello Hedi

      > I've check again but I don't think that U-profil 20 x 20 mm with 1 mm thickness exist.
      You are assumingly right, I found a U-profile 20mm height and 19mm base
      width at http://www.aluminium-profile.org/aluprofile/uprofil/uprofile.php
      model UP2019201
      and 20x20 but 1,5 mm thickness
      UP2020201.5

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 6, 2008
        Hi Hedi

        > Some people on my website suggested me to remove completly the top wood part of the
        > portable suitecase and to fix then a new aluminium plate fitted with several A-180 PCB. I
        > think that it will be the most elegant way to do it. So I've got a question for Dieter
        > DOEPFER before I unscrew one of my portable suitecase :
        I am not Dieter, but I already tried to remove the wood bar (without
        success):

        > - How the top wood part is fixed ?
        > - They are 2 black screws on the top, do I have to remove them ?
        The wood bar is screwed and glued to the top/base wood plate.

        > - Is it involved in the structure of the suitcase
        Yes. The wood bar stabilizes the front rails, which hold the modules. I
        just do not remember, whether the rails are fixed at the woodbars with
        screws too.

        > - What are the reasins for not fitting some multiples on the top of the suitcases ?
        I assume: because there are these woodbars ;-)

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 6, 2008
          The cases are not manufactured in our company but by an external case
          manufacturer. I'll have to ask the manufacturer how the parts are fixed.
          They only got from us the specifications how the cases should look in the
          end. We don't know all constructions details as we leaved it to manufacturer
          how to built it.

        • hpsounds_fr
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 6, 2008
            Thanks Dieter for your interest. I think that it could be a really good point if the top (or
            bottom) woodbar could be replaced by an aluminium plane fitted with some multiples (the
            board from the A-180 could be used).

            As Florian said the woodbars in the existing portable suitcases seem to be screwed and
            glued. I will ask in a few weeks a company to help me prototype an aluminium bar in
            which several A-180 Multiple boards will be screwed. This bar will also be screed (with
            nuts) through the woodbar.

            More infos from me in a few weeks, but feel free to give your opinion. Thanks !

            Hédi K.

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 6, 2008
              > Thanks Dieter for your interest. I think that it could be a really good
              point if the top (or
              > bottom) woodbar could be replaced by an aluminium plane fitted with some
              multiples (the
              > board from the A-180 could be used).
              >
              > As Florian said the woodbars in the existing portable suitcases seem to be
              screwed and
              > glued. I will ask in a few weeks a company to help me prototype an
              aluminium bar in
              > which several A-180 Multiple boards will be screwed. This bar will also be
              screed (with
              > nuts) through the woodbar.
              >
              > More infos from me in a few weeks, but feel free to give your
              > opinion. Thanks !
              >
              > Hédi K.

              We are working on this too. Two month ago I have ordered a prototype of a
              special U-shaped metal part (from our metal case manufacturer) that could be
              used instead of the wooden bar (by our wood case manufacturer) to install
              two A-180 boards. Unfortunately two different companies are involved as our
              wooden case manufacturer is not able to produce this metal part. I'll have
              to ask when the part is ready to try it out.

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 7, 2008
                Hi

                > .... Unfortunately two different companies are involved as our
                > wooden case manufacturer is not able to produce this metal part.

                So that is where it all ends: you start your synth business thinking "I
                will carry on the heritage of Buchla, Moog, youNameThemAll" and then you
                find yourself holding hands in the dark for a wood turner and a tinsmith...

                Florian ;-)
              • Richard Scott
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 7, 2008
                  I am sure bob moog and don buchla had plenty of that shit to do too Florian

                  and buchla still does, the lightning rods are made from Mgaglite handheld torches that someone has to cut the top off and drill holes in.

                  Hell, Don Buchla still answers the PHONE for Buchla and Assocciates!

                  Richard

                  --
                  I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for Personal use.

                  The Trial and Professional version does not have this message in the email

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 7, 2008
                    Hi Richard

                    > I am sure bob moog and don buchla had plenty of that shit to do too Florian
                    I know ;-)

                    Btw, there is a great book that tells a lot about the real business of
                    being an analogue synth manufacturer: "Analog Days" by Trevor Pinch.