Re: [Doepfer_a100] Re: short patch cables

  • Monroe Eskew
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 4, 2008
      My vote is for 15cm

      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 4, 2008
        ok, a new poll has been created for the cable length
        of a new short patchcord.

        please vote soon, as this poll will remain open for
        only 2 weeks.

        thanks,
        Bakis.

        --- hardware@... wrote:

        > > yeah, short patchcables are very important.
        > > I have them from 8cm up to 15cm in 2cm increments
        > ( more less ) .
        > > even 15cm is much too long many times.
        > > ( I think measurement was between the plugs)
        > >
        > > I would take a bunch too if somebody gets them
        > Manufactured.
        > > ( no handspoldering )
        > >
        > > H.C.
        >
        > We could ask our cable manufacturer to produce a
        > shorter cable with the next
        > run. How about a poll which length most users would
        > prefer (e.g. 10 or 15 or
        > 20cm) ? We will not offer all kind of lenghts but
        > one more cable type
        > shorter than 30 cm would be conceivable.

      • Silas Johansen
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 6, 2008
          Bakis,

          Would you please specify whether we're voting on the length tip-to-tip
          or the cable length between plugs?

          Also, as the plugs on my Doepfer patch cables are about 4.5cm long a
          10cm tip-to-tip cable would only have an "effective length" of about
          1cm and thus could not be used to connect two 8HP modules next to each
          other...

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 6, 2008
            hello,

            its cable length between plugs then.

            the cable lengths were suggested by another email (from Dieter).
            these are not my choises, so i cannot be really sure.

            but, in order for Dieter to suggest 10cm, i assume its cable length between plugs...

            but, i just measured one of the doepfer black cords and its 30cm tip to tip! (OF COURSE).
            that means that the doepfer black (30cm) cables are already 23cm in cable length between plugs...

            so, the third choise of the poll (20cm) does not differ a lot from the black cables we already have...

            anyway, Dieter will give details for this, as soon as he comes back, as he is not at the office until 15th of June.

            Bakis Sirros - Parallel Worlds / Interconnected / Memory Geist
            [Doepfer_a100] group owner
            www. parallel - worlds - music. com
            www. myspace. com/ parallelworldsmusic
            www. myspace. com/ interconnectedmusic
            www. myspace. com/ memorygeist
            www. DiN. org. uk
            www. musicamaximamagnetica. com
            www. shimarecords. co. uk
            www. rubberrecords. gr
            Athens - Greece

            On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 2:30 AM, Bakis Sirros <synth_freak_ 2000@yahoo. com> wrote:
            > ok, a new poll has been created for the cable length
            > of a new short patchcord.
            >
            > please vote soon, as this poll will remain open for
            > only 2 weeks.
            >
            > thanks,
            > Bakis.
            >
            > --- hardware@doepfer. de wrote:
            >
            >> > yeah, short patchcables are very important.
            >> > I have them from 8cm up to 15cm in 2cm increments
            >> ( more less ) .
            >> > even 15cm is much too long many times.
            >> > ( I think measurement was between the plugs)
            >> >
            >> > I would take a bunch too if somebody gets them
            >> Manufactured.
            >> > ( no handspoldering )
            >> >
            >> > H.C.
            >>
            >> We could ask our cable manufacturer to produce a
            >> shorter cable with the next
            >> run. How about a poll which length most users would
            >> prefer (e.g. 10 or 15 or
            >> 20cm) ? We will not offer all kind of lenghts but
            >> one more cable type
            >> shorter than 30 cm would be conceivable.
            >>
            >> Best wishes
            >> Dieter Doepfer

          • E_K_
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 7, 2008
              The "30 cm" Doepfer cable I just pulled out to measure is almost 34 cm tip-to-tip, and
              just under 27 cm if you measure just the actual cable, excluding the thicker 'grip' part
              (sorry I don't know the terminology). From the base of each metal plug, the length is 31
              cm. Likewise the "50 cm" cable I measured is, measuring the whole length except the
              actual metal plugs, 51 cm.

              Based on this way of measuring, I think "18 cm" or "18.5 cm" would be an ideal length for
              a short cable, perfect for patching up two utility modules that are right next to each other,
              which I'm sure many of us are doing quite often.

              But if I had to choose between 15 cm and 20 cm I'd choose 15 (which is what I voted
              for)....