Re: [Doepfer_a100] replacement bulb for doepfer vu meter

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2008
      HI Bakis

      > the exact same happens to one of my two doepfer
      > vu-meters lights too!
      > I just tap the plastic screen a bit and the LIGHT
      > TURNS ON AGAIN.
      > ALTHOUGH, for the last months, I didn't have any
      > problems at all with this light.
      The light bulbs in voltmeter are steady point of failure. Since my first
      cassette deck in 1974 all lightbulbs in the meters of each piece of
      gear I own failed. This is because they basically overheat: the bulb is
      held by a very narrow rubber gaiter, which shall prevent that the light
      comes to the rearside. But this rubber gaiter makes the socket end of
      the glassbody to be overheated, while the head can cool. This causes
      micro breaks in the glass body, through which oxigen can enter the bulbs
      body and in consequence the filament will burn away.

      They only chance is to replace the light bulbs by ultra bright LEDs.

      Florian
    • rrooyyccee
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2008
        wow,
        so the solution is to tap the glass?
        seems lame.
        i wonder if it would be easier to replace the entire meter assembly?
        royce
      • hardware@doepfer.de
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
          > hi list,
          >
          > i would like to replace the bulb in my doepfer voltemeter module,
          > but am not sure how to do so.
          > has anybody done this? does it require chainging the entire meter?
          >
          > royce

          Two different types of meters were used in the A-197. A version with
          removeable bulbs and a version with soldered bulbs. If you take a look at
          the meter (carefully remove the transparent plastic cover) you can find out
          which version you own. The bulbs are available from MONACOR
          (www.monacor.com). The order numbers are "PM-2/30V" for the instrument and
          "IS-26" for the bulb set (two bulbs with 6V each, connected serial for 12V
          supply).

        • hardware@doepfer.de
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
            > the exact same happens to one of my two doepfer
            > vu-meters lights too!
            > I just tap the plastic screen a bit and the LIGHT
            > TURNS ON AGAIN.
            > ALTHOUGH, for the last months, I didn't have any
            > problems at all with this light.
            >
            > best regards, :-)
            > Bakis.

            If you have a technician available who is able to solder the bulbs to the
            sockets (very carefully, a small soldering iron is required) the problem
            will disappear. It seems that after a while the connection between the bulbs
            and the bulb socket becomes poor (probably because of corossion or
            oxidization).