Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Modules for acoustic instrument processing

Expand Messages
  • partlydrone
    The digital modules (A112 and the bitcrushers) are interesting, but they are easily done within the computer although i have some sympathy with this view,
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 2, 2008
    • 0 Attachment
      "The digital modules (A112 and the bitcrushers) are interesting, but
      they are easily done within the computer"

      although i have some sympathy with this view, the same could be said
      of filters and all that, realistically.

      although there are endless debates to be had about sound quality, to
      my mind the key difference between noddling on screen with plugins,
      and noodling in the basement with boxes knobs and wires, is the
      different way of working, the different varieties of serendipitous
      discoveries, the different workflows which can be better or worse for
      spontaneous playing around, and so on.

      so i would still say that digital modules are a good idea. remember
      too that we are talking about high church hipster 8bit digital crud
      modules, in the harvestman and a112 stuff. not waves plugins.



      --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "Korhan Erel" <listekutusu@...>
      wrote:
      >
      > Thank you very much partlydrone, stu and florian! The instrument I
      have in
      > mind is indeed a bass clarinet, which is played wonderfully by a
      friend of
      > mine. But I would like to use this setup with other instruments, such as
      > electric guitar, tenor saxophone or even vocals. I play in a free
      > improvisation group and would like to use the modules there (I
      normally use
      > Audiomulch to create sounds and process instruments)
      >
      > I guess the BBD is definitely on the shopping list now. So is the
      A-137 -
      > I'll have to ask Schneidersbuero if they would go for a swap.
      >
      > The digital modules (A112 and the bitcrushers) are interesting, but
      they are
      > easily done within the computer (including CV control with Pluggo by
      Cycling
      > 74). I would like to keep this process as analog as possible.
      >
      > The phaser was only interesting for the CV input, but it's not on
      the list
      > anymore.
      >
      > I wanted the noise/random module for the random part, but I am open
      to other
      > suggestions.
      >
      > Florian, can you please elaborate on the use of A160,161 or the
      A151. I am
      > totally unfamiliar with these modules and cannot imagine how I could use
      > them in my setup. An example that contains some of the modules mentioned
      > here would be very useful.
      >
      > What would happen if an instrument, a clarinet or tenor sax, is fed
      directly
      > into a PLL? You can assume that the instrumentalists are virtuosos
      and can
      > play whatever is required. I am looking for radical changes - I
      would prefer
      > terrible pitch tracking to very good pitch tracking.
      >
      > I can already use the Quad LFO as an oscillator, but would like to
      modulate
      > the frequency and hence want the A-110. Envelope out from A-119
      would be a
      > nice modulation source for the A-110, I guess.
      >
      > The S&H is the A-148.Slew limiters are 170 and 171. 170 has two, 171
      has CV
      > control. Which one should I get? I'm usually a numbers guy and
      assume 2 is
      > better than 1.
      >
      > I do have one Multiplier.
      >
      > Thanks once more! I have already a much better idea. I'll try to put all
      > your suggestions together and see what comes out (in functionality
      and in
      > Euros)
      >
      > Best,
      >
      > Korhan
      >
      >
      >
      > On 3/2/08, Florian Anwander <Florian.Anwander@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Korhan
      > >
      > > > I use these modules to process instruments as well as for sound
      design
      > > > (using the LFOs as oscillators). I have been planning to expand this
      > > > system to process acoustic instruments during live performance,
      and I
      > > > consider the following modules:
      > > >
      > > > A-106 Xtreme Filter
      > > > A-110 VCO
      > > > A-114 Ring Mod
      > > > A-118 Noise/Random
      > > > A-125 Phaser
      > > > A-127 VC Triple Res. Filter
      > > > A-175 Dual Inverter
      > > > A-188-1 BBD (1024)
      > > > A-196 PLL
      > >
      > > > What can it
      > > > do to a bass clarinet plugged into it?
      > > OK, I assume your instrument is woodwind (bass clarinet, but maybe
      > > others like saxophon).
      > >
      > > So my definite recommendation is:
      > > A-188 any BBD (which one is matter of taste) not for flanger, but for
      > > standing resonances, karplusstrong stuff...
      > >
      > > A-137 Waveshaper. This is a MUST for a monophonic acoustic
      instrument. I
      > > do not know whether you work already with some kind of distortion, but
      > > this one goes far beyond all you could think until now about
      distortion.
      > > And while the most synth audio modules require very constant
      sound, the
      > > waveshaper shows its real pwoer with dynamic input material from
      ppp to
      > > fff.
      > >
      > > A-114 as Ring modulator is very nice, but it is only one single sound,
      > > which could be achived very similar also by audiomodulation of a
      filter
      > > or VCA.
      > >
      > > A-106 with a clearinet I'd go instead for the A-101-1.
      > >
      > > The A-196 can(!) be very interesting with an clarinet, but don't be
      > > disappointed, if you find, that it is too extreme. If you want the
      > > original PLL usage (transpose frequencies), then a guitar stompbox
      or a
      > > Boss RPS10 might be interesting too.
      > >
      > > A-110 is ok (but modify it so you can tune it through the full range
      > > witht he pot)
      > >
      > > Cancel the A-127 you already have two filters, you don't need this.
      > >
      > > Cancel the A-125, and get instead a used guitar stompbox.
      > >
      > > instead: more CV sources which make your play vivid:
      > > -> Get a Sample and Hold and a Slew Limiter, i think there is a AS
      combi
      > > module.
      > >
      > > Some kind of analogue sequencer, not the A155, but maybe a
      A160/161 or a
      > > A151 plus a mixer.
      > >
      > > Trigger them by the gate out from the 119, and each note will have a
      > > different sound.
      > >
      > > finally: you will be in need of multiples. So don't forget them.
      > >
      > > Florian
      > >
      > >
      >
      >
      > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      >
    • Korhan Erel
      Hi, I agree that knobs rule over plugins (even though I control mine with knobs ... analog stuff than bitcrushers. A-112 is definitely interesting, but I d
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
      • 0 Attachment
        Hi,

        I agree that knobs rule over plugins (even though I control mine with knobs
        :-), but I have a limited budget and space and would like to spend it on
        "analog" stuff than bitcrushers. A-112 is definitely interesting, but I'd
        like to see it in action first - which is impossible here in Turkey. I
        should go to Berlin sometime.

        Best,

        Korhan

        On 3/3/08, partlydrone <partlydrone@...> wrote:
        >
        > "The digital modules (A112 and the bitcrushers) are interesting, but
        > they are easily done within the computer"
        >
        > although i have some sympathy with this view, the same could be said
        > of filters and all that, realistically.
        >
        > although there are endless debates to be had about sound quality, to
        > my mind the key difference between noddling on screen with plugins,
        > and noodling in the basement with boxes knobs and wires, is the
        > different way of working, the different varieties of serendipitous
        > discoveries, the different workflows which can be better or worse for
        > spontaneous playing around, and so on.
        >
        > so i would still say that digital modules are a good idea. remember
        > too that we are talking about high church hipster 8bit digital crud
        > modules, in the harvestman and a112 stuff. not waves plugins.
        >
        > --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com <Doepfer_a100%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > "Korhan Erel" <listekutusu@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Thank you very much partlydrone, stu and florian! The instrument I
        > have in
        > > mind is indeed a bass clarinet, which is played wonderfully by a
        > friend of
        > > mine. But I would like to use this setup with other instruments, such as
        > > electric guitar, tenor saxophone or even vocals. I play in a free
        > > improvisation group and would like to use the modules there (I
        > normally use
        > > Audiomulch to create sounds and process instruments)
        > >
        > > I guess the BBD is definitely on the shopping list now. So is the
        > A-137 -
        > > I'll have to ask Schneidersbuero if they would go for a swap.
        > >
        > > The digital modules (A112 and the bitcrushers) are interesting, but
        > they are
        > > easily done within the computer (including CV control with Pluggo by
        > Cycling
        > > 74). I would like to keep this process as analog as possible.
        > >
        > > The phaser was only interesting for the CV input, but it's not on
        > the list
        > > anymore.
        > >
        > > I wanted the noise/random module for the random part, but I am open
        > to other
        > > suggestions.
        > >
        > > Florian, can you please elaborate on the use of A160,161 or the
        > A151. I am
        > > totally unfamiliar with these modules and cannot imagine how I could use
        > > them in my setup. An example that contains some of the modules mentioned
        > > here would be very useful.
        > >
        > > What would happen if an instrument, a clarinet or tenor sax, is fed
        > directly
        > > into a PLL? You can assume that the instrumentalists are virtuosos
        > and can
        > > play whatever is required. I am looking for radical changes - I
        > would prefer
        > > terrible pitch tracking to very good pitch tracking.
        > >
        > > I can already use the Quad LFO as an oscillator, but would like to
        > modulate
        > > the frequency and hence want the A-110. Envelope out from A-119
        > would be a
        > > nice modulation source for the A-110, I guess.
        > >
        > > The S&H is the A-148.Slew limiters are 170 and 171. 170 has two, 171
        > has CV
        > > control. Which one should I get? I'm usually a numbers guy and
        > assume 2 is
        > > better than 1.
        > >
        > > I do have one Multiplier.
        > >
        > > Thanks once more! I have already a much better idea. I'll try to put all
        > > your suggestions together and see what comes out (in functionality
        > and in
        > > Euros)
        > >
        > > Best,
        > >
        > > Korhan
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > > On 3/2/08, Florian Anwander <Florian.Anwander@...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi Korhan
        > > >
        > > > > I use these modules to process instruments as well as for sound
        > design
        > > > > (using the LFOs as oscillators). I have been planning to expand this
        > > > > system to process acoustic instruments during live performance,
        > and I
        > > > > consider the following modules:
        > > > >
        > > > > A-106 Xtreme Filter
        > > > > A-110 VCO
        > > > > A-114 Ring Mod
        > > > > A-118 Noise/Random
        > > > > A-125 Phaser
        > > > > A-127 VC Triple Res. Filter
        > > > > A-175 Dual Inverter
        > > > > A-188-1 BBD (1024)
        > > > > A-196 PLL
        > > >
        > > > > What can it
        > > > > do to a bass clarinet plugged into it?
        > > > OK, I assume your instrument is woodwind (bass clarinet, but maybe
        > > > others like saxophon).
        > > >
        > > > So my definite recommendation is:
        > > > A-188 any BBD (which one is matter of taste) not for flanger, but for
        > > > standing resonances, karplusstrong stuff...
        > > >
        > > > A-137 Waveshaper. This is a MUST for a monophonic acoustic
        > instrument. I
        > > > do not know whether you work already with some kind of distortion, but
        > > > this one goes far beyond all you could think until now about
        > distortion.
        > > > And while the most synth audio modules require very constant
        > sound, the
        > > > waveshaper shows its real pwoer with dynamic input material from
        > ppp to
        > > > fff.
        > > >
        > > > A-114 as Ring modulator is very nice, but it is only one single sound,
        > > > which could be achived very similar also by audiomodulation of a
        > filter
        > > > or VCA.
        > > >
        > > > A-106 with a clearinet I'd go instead for the A-101-1.
        > > >
        > > > The A-196 can(!) be very interesting with an clarinet, but don't be
        > > > disappointed, if you find, that it is too extreme. If you want the
        > > > original PLL usage (transpose frequencies), then a guitar stompbox
        > or a
        > > > Boss RPS10 might be interesting too.
        > > >
        > > > A-110 is ok (but modify it so you can tune it through the full range
        > > > witht he pot)
        > > >
        > > > Cancel the A-127 you already have two filters, you don't need this.
        > > >
        > > > Cancel the A-125, and get instead a used guitar stompbox.
        > > >
        > > > instead: more CV sources which make your play vivid:
        > > > -> Get a Sample and Hold and a Slew Limiter, i think there is a AS
        > combi
        > > > module.
        > > >
        > > > Some kind of analogue sequencer, not the A155, but maybe a
        > A160/161 or a
        > > > A151 plus a mixer.
        > > >
        > > > Trigger them by the gate out from the 119, and each note will have a
        > > > different sound.
        > > >
        > > > finally: you will be in need of multiples. So don't forget them.
        > > >
        > > > Florian
        > > >
        > > >
        > >
        > >
        > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        > >
        >
        >
        >


        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      • partlydrone
        yeah, it s annoying that there s a paucity of youtube vids of doepfer modules, i m coming to the end of a few projects so i might procrastinate by bunging some
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
        • 0 Attachment
          yeah, it's annoying that there's a paucity of youtube vids of doepfer
          modules, i'm coming to the end of a few projects so i might
          procrastinate by bunging some up myself soon, will make sure to focus
          on the magic of the a112.

          --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "Korhan Erel" <listekutusu@...>
          wrote:
          >
          > Hi,
          >
          > I agree that knobs rule over plugins (even though I control mine
          with knobs
          > :-), but I have a limited budget and space and would like to spend it on
          > "analog" stuff than bitcrushers. A-112 is definitely interesting,
          but I'd
          > like to see it in action first - which is impossible here in Turkey. I
          > should go to Berlin sometime.
          >
          > Best,
          >
          > Korhan
          >
          > On 3/3/08, partlydrone <partlydrone@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > "The digital modules (A112 and the bitcrushers) are interesting, but
          > > they are easily done within the computer"
          > >
          > > although i have some sympathy with this view, the same could be said
          > > of filters and all that, realistically.
          > >
          > > although there are endless debates to be had about sound quality, to
          > > my mind the key difference between noddling on screen with plugins,
          > > and noodling in the basement with boxes knobs and wires, is the
          > > different way of working, the different varieties of serendipitous
          > > discoveries, the different workflows which can be better or worse for
          > > spontaneous playing around, and so on.
          > >
          > > so i would still say that digital modules are a good idea. remember
          > > too that we are talking about high church hipster 8bit digital crud
          > > modules, in the harvestman and a112 stuff. not waves plugins.
          > >
          > > --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com <Doepfer_a100%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > > "Korhan Erel" <listekutusu@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Thank you very much partlydrone, stu and florian! The instrument I
          > > have in
          > > > mind is indeed a bass clarinet, which is played wonderfully by a
          > > friend of
          > > > mine. But I would like to use this setup with other instruments,
          such as
          > > > electric guitar, tenor saxophone or even vocals. I play in a free
          > > > improvisation group and would like to use the modules there (I
          > > normally use
          > > > Audiomulch to create sounds and process instruments)
          > > >
          > > > I guess the BBD is definitely on the shopping list now. So is the
          > > A-137 -
          > > > I'll have to ask Schneidersbuero if they would go for a swap.
          > > >
          > > > The digital modules (A112 and the bitcrushers) are interesting, but
          > > they are
          > > > easily done within the computer (including CV control with Pluggo by
          > > Cycling
          > > > 74). I would like to keep this process as analog as possible.
          > > >
          > > > The phaser was only interesting for the CV input, but it's not on
          > > the list
          > > > anymore.
          > > >
          > > > I wanted the noise/random module for the random part, but I am open
          > > to other
          > > > suggestions.
          > > >
          > > > Florian, can you please elaborate on the use of A160,161 or the
          > > A151. I am
          > > > totally unfamiliar with these modules and cannot imagine how I
          could use
          > > > them in my setup. An example that contains some of the modules
          mentioned
          > > > here would be very useful.
          > > >
          > > > What would happen if an instrument, a clarinet or tenor sax, is fed
          > > directly
          > > > into a PLL? You can assume that the instrumentalists are virtuosos
          > > and can
          > > > play whatever is required. I am looking for radical changes - I
          > > would prefer
          > > > terrible pitch tracking to very good pitch tracking.
          > > >
          > > > I can already use the Quad LFO as an oscillator, but would like to
          > > modulate
          > > > the frequency and hence want the A-110. Envelope out from A-119
          > > would be a
          > > > nice modulation source for the A-110, I guess.
          > > >
          > > > The S&H is the A-148.Slew limiters are 170 and 171. 170 has two, 171
          > > has CV
          > > > control. Which one should I get? I'm usually a numbers guy and
          > > assume 2 is
          > > > better than 1.
          > > >
          > > > I do have one Multiplier.
          > > >
          > > > Thanks once more! I have already a much better idea. I'll try to
          put all
          > > > your suggestions together and see what comes out (in functionality
          > > and in
          > > > Euros)
          > > >
          > > > Best,
          > > >
          > > > Korhan
          > > >
          > > >
          > > >
          > > > On 3/2/08, Florian Anwander <Florian.Anwander@> wrote:
          > > > >
          > > > > Hi Korhan
          > > > >
          > > > > > I use these modules to process instruments as well as for sound
          > > design
          > > > > > (using the LFOs as oscillators). I have been planning to
          expand this
          > > > > > system to process acoustic instruments during live performance,
          > > and I
          > > > > > consider the following modules:
          > > > > >
          > > > > > A-106 Xtreme Filter
          > > > > > A-110 VCO
          > > > > > A-114 Ring Mod
          > > > > > A-118 Noise/Random
          > > > > > A-125 Phaser
          > > > > > A-127 VC Triple Res. Filter
          > > > > > A-175 Dual Inverter
          > > > > > A-188-1 BBD (1024)
          > > > > > A-196 PLL
          > > > >
          > > > > > What can it
          > > > > > do to a bass clarinet plugged into it?
          > > > > OK, I assume your instrument is woodwind (bass clarinet, but maybe
          > > > > others like saxophon).
          > > > >
          > > > > So my definite recommendation is:
          > > > > A-188 any BBD (which one is matter of taste) not for flanger,
          but for
          > > > > standing resonances, karplusstrong stuff...
          > > > >
          > > > > A-137 Waveshaper. This is a MUST for a monophonic acoustic
          > > instrument. I
          > > > > do not know whether you work already with some kind of
          distortion, but
          > > > > this one goes far beyond all you could think until now about
          > > distortion.
          > > > > And while the most synth audio modules require very constant
          > > sound, the
          > > > > waveshaper shows its real pwoer with dynamic input material from
          > > ppp to
          > > > > fff.
          > > > >
          > > > > A-114 as Ring modulator is very nice, but it is only one
          single sound,
          > > > > which could be achived very similar also by audiomodulation of a
          > > filter
          > > > > or VCA.
          > > > >
          > > > > A-106 with a clearinet I'd go instead for the A-101-1.
          > > > >
          > > > > The A-196 can(!) be very interesting with an clarinet, but
          don't be
          > > > > disappointed, if you find, that it is too extreme. If you want the
          > > > > original PLL usage (transpose frequencies), then a guitar stompbox
          > > or a
          > > > > Boss RPS10 might be interesting too.
          > > > >
          > > > > A-110 is ok (but modify it so you can tune it through the full
          range
          > > > > witht he pot)
          > > > >
          > > > > Cancel the A-127 you already have two filters, you don't need
          this.
          > > > >
          > > > > Cancel the A-125, and get instead a used guitar stompbox.
          > > > >
          > > > > instead: more CV sources which make your play vivid:
          > > > > -> Get a Sample and Hold and a Slew Limiter, i think there is a AS
          > > combi
          > > > > module.
          > > > >
          > > > > Some kind of analogue sequencer, not the A155, but maybe a
          > > A160/161 or a
          > > > > A151 plus a mixer.
          > > > >
          > > > > Trigger them by the gate out from the 119, and each note will
          have a
          > > > > different sound.
          > > > >
          > > > > finally: you will be in need of multiples. So don't forget them.
          > > > >
          > > > > Florian
          > > > >
          > > > >
          > > >
          > > >
          > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          > > >
          > >
          > >
          > >
          >
          >
          > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          >
        • Florian Anwander
          Hello Korhan ... Have alook at http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/A161_man.pdf Page 8 contains an example for the usage of A161 with A131 as a sequencer. The A-151
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
          • 0 Attachment
            Hello Korhan

            > Florian, can you please elaborate on the use of A160,161 or the A151. I am
            > totally unfamiliar with these modules and cannot imagine how I could use
            > them in my setup. An example that contains some of the modules mentioned
            > here would be very useful.
            Have alook at http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/A161_man.pdf
            Page 8 contains an example for the usage of A161 with A131 as a sequencer.

            The A-151 would work similar, but to achieve the same effect you have to
            feed a constant voltage into the common i/o of the module. You will get
            more variations if this is not a constant voltage but a LFO or some
            quasi random stuff (like LFOs in the audio range or VCOs).



            > What would happen if an instrument, a clarinet or tenor sax, is fed directly
            > into a PLL? You can assume that the instrumentalists are virtuosos and can
            > play whatever is required. I am looking for radical changes -
            > I would prefer terrible pitch tracking to very good pitch tracking.
            Then the A-196 is the right choice: terrible pitch tracking at its best.


            > the frequency and hence want the A-110. Envelope out from A-119 would be a
            > nice modulation source for the A-110, I guess.
            That is right. Especially if you use the VCO-out as modulation source
            for a high resonating VCF (can create some "talking" sounds).

            > The S&H is the A-148.Slew limiters are 170 and 171. 170 has two, 171 has CV
            > control. Which one should I get? I'm usually a numbers guy and assume 2 is
            > better than 1.
            ok, AS does not have a S&H + Slewlimiter as combimodule. But others that
            are interesting:
            http://www.analoguesystems.co.uk/modules/rs40.htm
            http://www.analoguesystems.co.uk/modules/rs380.htm

            The A171 slewlimiter is definitely recommended over the A170, because of
            its usability in connection with the PLL A-196 (too complicated to
            explain now).

            Florian
          • Korhan Erel
            Thanks man. Let me know when you put them up. The A-112 s record/play mode cannot be toggled by CV, right? If this was possible, I would get several of these
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
            • 0 Attachment
              Thanks man. Let me know when you put them up.

              The A-112's record/play mode cannot be toggled by CV, right? If this was
              possible, I would get several of these units probably. Is there any
              modification to achieve this?



              On 3/3/08, Florian Anwander <Florian.Anwander@...> wrote:
              >
              > Hello Korhan
              >
              > > Florian, can you please elaborate on the use of A160,161 or the A151. I
              > am
              > > totally unfamiliar with these modules and cannot imagine how I could use
              > > them in my setup. An example that contains some of the modules mentioned
              > > here would be very useful.
              > Have alook at http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/A161_man.pdf
              > Page 8 contains an example for the usage of A161 with A131 as a sequencer.
              >
              > The A-151 would work similar, but to achieve the same effect you have to
              > feed a constant voltage into the common i/o of the module. You will get
              > more variations if this is not a constant voltage but a LFO or some
              > quasi random stuff (like LFOs in the audio range or VCOs).
              >
              > > What would happen if an instrument, a clarinet or tenor sax, is fed
              > directly
              > > into a PLL? You can assume that the instrumentalists are virtuosos and
              > can
              > > play whatever is required. I am looking for radical changes -
              > > I would prefer terrible pitch tracking to very good pitch tracking.
              > Then the A-196 is the right choice: terrible pitch tracking at its best.
              >
              > > the frequency and hence want the A-110. Envelope out from A-119 would be
              > a
              > > nice modulation source for the A-110, I guess.
              > That is right. Especially if you use the VCO-out as modulation source
              > for a high resonating VCF (can create some "talking" sounds).
              >
              > > The S&H is the A-148.Slew limiters are 170 and 171. 170 has two, 171 has
              > CV
              > > control. Which one should I get? I'm usually a numbers guy and assume 2
              > is
              > > better than 1.
              > ok, AS does not have a S&H + Slewlimiter as combimodule. But others that
              > are interesting:
              > http://www.analoguesystems.co.uk/modules/rs40.htm
              > http://www.analoguesystems.co.uk/modules/rs380.htm
              >
              > The A171 slewlimiter is definitely recommended over the A170, because of
              > its usability in connection with the PLL A-196 (too complicated to
              > explain now).
              >
              > Florian
              >
              >


              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            • deastman2
              Perhaps I just missed it, but I don t recall seeing an A-126 Voltage Controlled Frequency Shifter on your list. This module can give you a lot of interesting
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
              • 0 Attachment
                Perhaps I just missed it, but I don't recall seeing an A-126 Voltage
                Controlled Frequency Shifter on your list. This module can give you a
                lot of interesting modifications to external sounds. Also, I was
                playing around with it last night, using the Quad LFO as an oscillator,
                and using the A-126 to change the overall oscillator pitch (modulated
                by an A-155 sequencer).
              • Korhan Erel
                Hi, Thanks for the suggestion. You did not see it on the initial list because it s one of the modules that has a high price tag for what it does. However, if I
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
                • 0 Attachment
                  Hi,

                  Thanks for the suggestion. You did not see it on the initial list because
                  it's one of the modules that has a high price tag for what it does. However,
                  if I had a higher budget, it would be on the list. :-)


                  On 3/3/08, deastman2 <deastman2@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > Perhaps I just missed it, but I don't recall seeing an A-126 Voltage
                  > Controlled Frequency Shifter on your list. This module can give you a
                  > lot of interesting modifications to external sounds. Also, I was
                  > playing around with it last night, using the Quad LFO as an oscillator,
                  > and using the A-126 to change the overall oscillator pitch (modulated
                  > by an A-155 sequencer).
                  >
                  >
                  >


                  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                • Korhan Erel
                  Here s the current list after your valuable advice: A-137 Wave Multiplier A-148 Dual S&H / T&H A-171 VC Slew Limiter A-175 Dual Inverter A-188-1 BBD (1024)
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 4, 2008
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Here's the current list after your valuable advice:

                    A-137 Wave Multiplier
                    A-148 Dual S&H / T&H
                    A-171 VC Slew Limiter
                    A-175 Dual Inverter
                    A-188-1 BBD (1024)
                    A-196 PLL

                    Substitutes:

                    (A-101-1 Steiner Filter) - this seems like a very nice filter, but I'll
                    leave this out for financial reasons.
                    (A-114 Ring Mod)
                    (A-112 Sampler) - once someone demonstrates me the real benefit - I would
                    definitely buy one or more if it were possible to switch between play/record
                    via trigger inputs - an idea for a future module perhaps?

                    Florian, thanks for the eloboration on the 160-161-151, but I'm still not
                    clear how I can use these, since they are basically gate sequencers and I
                    have nothing to trigger in my setup (yet). Or am I missing something?

                    Some of you have kindly recommended modules by other manufacturers but
                    Doepfer modules are the most reasonable priced ones, so I'll stick with
                    Dieter's merchandise for the time being :-)

                    Thanks again!

                    Korhan


                    On 3/3/08, Korhan Erel <listekutusu@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > Thanks for the suggestion. You did not see it on the initial list because
                    > it's one of the modules that has a high price tag for what it does. However,
                    > if I had a higher budget, it would be on the list. :-)
                    >
                    >
                    > On 3/3/08, deastman2 <deastman2@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Perhaps I just missed it, but I don't recall seeing an A-126 Voltage
                    > > Controlled Frequency Shifter on your list. This module can give you a
                    > > lot of interesting modifications to external sounds. Also, I was
                    > > playing around with it last night, using the Quad LFO as an oscillator,
                    > > and using the A-126 to change the overall oscillator pitch (modulated
                    > > by an A-155 sequencer).
                    > >
                    > >
                    > >
                    >
                    >


                    [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  • Florian Anwander
                    Hi Korhan, ... Yes you are missing something ;-) The sentence of the day is: A gate is nothing than a voltage too! A gate is 5Volts. If you send this gate into
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 4, 2008
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Hi Korhan,

                      > Florian, thanks for the eloboration on the 160-161-151, but I'm still not
                      > clear how I can use these, since they are basically gate sequencers and I
                      > have nothing to trigger in my setup (yet). Or am I missing something?
                      Yes you are missing something ;-) The sentence of the day is: A gate is
                      nothing than a voltage too!

                      A gate is 5Volts. If you send this gate into the channel a mixer, and
                      turn down the "volume" of this channel the half, then the mixer will
                      output 2.5 Volts.

                      Ok, now you take the first four outputs of a A-161. Step by step each
                      output will have 5 Volts. Now every output is connected to the input of
                      the mixer. At the mixer you adjust each channel with another "volume".
                      Lets say, the first is half, the second is fully counterclockwise, the
                      third is at quarter position and the fourth at 3/4 position.
                      So the Mixer will output 2.5 Volts with the first step of the gate
                      sequence; 0 Volts with the second step; 1.25 Volts with the third step
                      and 3.75 Volts with the fourth step.

                      As you see the Mixer "converts" the gatesequence into a voltage sequence.

                      Florian
                    • ilanode
                      Guess Korhan had refered to how to trigger the A160!? You can use your LFO s square out for this. (Even some of the other outs will *probably* work fine for
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 4, 2008
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Guess Korhan had refered to how to trigger the A160!? You can use
                        your LFO's square out for this. (Even some of the other outs will
                        *probably* work fine for the.) Regards, Ingo

                        --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, Florian Anwander
                        <Florian.Anwander@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > Hi Korhan,
                        >
                        > > Florian, thanks for the eloboration on the 160-161-151, but I'm
                        still not
                        > > clear how I can use these, since they are basically gate
                        sequencers and I
                        > > have nothing to trigger in my setup (yet). Or am I missing something?
                        > Yes you are missing something ;-) The sentence of the day is: A gate is
                        > nothing than a voltage too!
                        >
                        > A gate is 5Volts. If you send this gate into the channel a mixer, and
                        > turn down the "volume" of this channel the half, then the mixer will
                        > output 2.5 Volts.
                        >
                        > Ok, now you take the first four outputs of a A-161. Step by step each
                        > output will have 5 Volts. Now every output is connected to the input of
                        > the mixer. At the mixer you adjust each channel with another "volume".
                        > Lets say, the first is half, the second is fully counterclockwise, the
                        > third is at quarter position and the fourth at 3/4 position.
                        > So the Mixer will output 2.5 Volts with the first step of the gate
                        > sequence; 0 Volts with the second step; 1.25 Volts with the third step
                        > and 3.75 Volts with the fourth step.
                        >
                        > As you see the Mixer "converts" the gatesequence into a voltage
                        sequence.
                        >
                        > Florian
                        >
                      • Florian Anwander
                        Hi Ingo ... Thats at least a necessary additional explanation too! Thanks, Florian
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 4, 2008
                        • 0 Attachment
                          Hi Ingo

                          > Guess Korhan had refered to how to trigger the A160!? You can use
                          > your LFO's square out for this. (Even some of the other outs will
                          > *probably* work fine for the.) Regards, Ingo
                          Thats at least a necessary additional explanation too!

                          Thanks, Florian
                        • Korhan Erel
                          Hi! Thanks for the responses. I was kind of clear on how to trigger the 160, but thanks for confirming it Ingo. I saw the example in the A161 manual about
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 4, 2008
                          • 0 Attachment
                            Hi!

                            Thanks for the responses. I was kind of clear on how to trigger the 160, but
                            thanks for confirming it Ingo. I saw the example in the A161 manual about
                            using the mixer to turn it into a sequencer, but since a mixer is not on my
                            list (and will not be for a while), I didn't see the connection to my case.
                            I guess this setup would work best with the CV controlled mixer, but then
                            instead of buying 4 modules (two mixers for 8 steps), I'd go buy the A-155
                            right? The 155 costs more than the total of those 4 modules but it offers a
                            lot more. Right?

                            Best,

                            Korhan


                            On 3/4/08, Florian Anwander <Florian.Anwander@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > Hi Ingo
                            >
                            > > Guess Korhan had refered to how to trigger the A160!? You can use
                            > > your LFO's square out for this. (Even some of the other outs will
                            > > *probably* work fine for the.) Regards, Ingo
                            > Thats at least a necessary additional explanation too!
                            >
                            > Thanks, Florian
                            >
                            >


                            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                          • hardware@doepfer.de
                            ... play/record ... Please refer the corresponding messages about one month ago (~ Feb. 05, 2008). Here a CV control of the parameters controlled by the
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 5, 2008
                            • 0 Attachment
                              > (A-112 Sampler) - once someone demonstrates me the real benefit - I would
                              > definitely buy one or more if it were possible to switch between
                              play/record
                              > via trigger inputs - an idea for a future module perhaps?

                              Please refer the corresponding messages about one month ago (~ Feb. 05,
                              2008). Here a CV control of the parameters controlled by the switches has
                              been described.

                              Best wishes
                              Dieter Doepfer
                            • Florian Anwander
                              Hi Korhan, ... Yes and no. The mixers still also can be used as mixers, and the A-161 still can be a nice trigger generator (e.g for miniature beatboxes with
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 5, 2008
                              • 0 Attachment
                                Hi Korhan,

                                > instead of buying 4 modules (two mixers for 8 steps), I'd go buy the A-155
                                > right? The 155 costs more than the total of those 4 modules but it offers a
                                > lot more. Right?
                                Yes and no. The mixers still also can be used as mixers, and the A-161
                                still can be a nice trigger generator (e.g for miniature beatboxes with
                                resonant filters), whilest the A155 will stay always a sequencer.

                                Nevertheless the A-155 (especially in coopertation with the A-154) is a
                                very recommendable tool, if you want to go in the direction of
                                electronic music.

                                Florian
                              • partlydrone
                                it s here: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Doepfer_a100/message/14388?threaded=1&p=3 ... I would ... switches has
                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 5, 2008
                                • 0 Attachment
                                  it's here:

                                  http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Doepfer_a100/message/14388?threaded=1&p=3



                                  --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, <hardware@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > (A-112 Sampler) - once someone demonstrates me the real benefit -
                                  I would
                                  > > definitely buy one or more if it were possible to switch between
                                  > play/record
                                  > > via trigger inputs - an idea for a future module perhaps?
                                  >
                                  > Please refer the corresponding messages about one month ago (~ Feb. 05,
                                  > 2008). Here a CV control of the parameters controlled by the
                                  switches has
                                  > been described.
                                  >
                                  > Best wishes
                                  > Dieter Doepfer
                                  >
                                • Korhan Erel
                                  Hi Florian, My biggest concern is portability. I want to keep things small and portable. Getting the 154-155 combo in addition to the processing modules would
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 6, 2008
                                  • 0 Attachment
                                    Hi Florian,

                                    My biggest concern is portability. I want to keep things small and portable.
                                    Getting the 154-155 combo in addition to the processing modules would give
                                    me a big system that's difficult to carry around, which also happens to cost
                                    a lot (I need money to replace my laptop, too).

                                    I think I'll drop the idea of a sequencer for the time being, but thank you
                                    very much for all your input on this, as it was quite illuminating for me.

                                    Best,

                                    Korhan


                                    On 3/5/08, partlydrone <partlydrone@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > it's here:
                                    >
                                    >
                                    > http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Doepfer_a100/message/14388?threaded=1&p=3
                                    >
                                    > --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com <Doepfer_a100%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                    > <hardware@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > > (A-112 Sampler) - once someone demonstrates me the real benefit -
                                    > I would
                                    > > > definitely buy one or more if it were possible to switch between
                                    > > play/record
                                    > > > via trigger inputs - an idea for a future module perhaps?
                                    > >
                                    > > Please refer the corresponding messages about one month ago (~ Feb. 05,
                                    > > 2008). Here a CV control of the parameters controlled by the
                                    > switches has
                                    > > been described.
                                    > >
                                    > > Best wishes
                                    > > Dieter Doepfer
                                    > >
                                    >
                                    >
                                    >


                                    [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.