Re: [Doepfer_a100] MCV24 and some other old products questions

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 4, 2008
      welcome to the group Mikhail!

      best regards,
      Bakis.

      --- freiksenet <freiksenet@...> wrote:

      > Hello!
      >
      > First of all, you can now welcome me as a
      > full-fledged member of your
      > community - yesterday I ordered my first Doepfer
      > modules. I wish to
      > express my gratitude to all members of this group
      > for helping me in my
      > choice of modules and to Doepfer company for their
      > wonderful products.
      >
      > Now to questions. I was interested in MCV24 and
      > Pocket Fader, that as
      > I understood are discontinued. Is there any way to
      > get one? I wonder
      > if Doepfer has any plans to continue this products.
      >
      > Cheers, Mikhail.

      Bakis Sirros - Parallel Worlds / Interconnected / Memory Geist
      [Doepfer_a100] group owner
      http://www.parallel-worlds-music.com
      http://www.myspace.com/parallelworldsmusic
      http://www.myspace.com/interconnectedmusic
      http://www.myspace.com/memorygeist
      http://www.DiN.org.uk
      http://www.musicamaximamagnetica.com
      http://www.shimarecords.co.uk
      http://www.rubber.gr
      Athens-Greece

      Looking for last minute shopping deals?
    • hardware@doepfer.de
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 5, 2008
        > Now to questions. I was interested in MCV24 and Pocket Fader, that as
        > I understood are discontinued. Is there any way to get one? I wonder
        > if Doepfer has any plans to continue this products.

        There are no plans to manufacture these products again. The sales of these
        products were very poor in the end and this is why the production has been
        stopped. Sorry. I'd take a look for second hand devices.

      • Михаил Новиков
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 5, 2008
          Hello!

          That's a pity ( I think I am able to create Pocket Fader analog with your
          great OEM kits, but I won't be able to recreate MCV24, and I don't know any
          other similar devices. Is there any other way to pass midi information from
          numerous faders/knobs to A-100?

          Best Regards, Mikhail Novikov

          2008/1/5, hardware@... <hardware@...>:

          > > Now to questions. I was interested in MCV24 and Pocket Fader, that as
          > > I understood are discontinued. Is there any way to get one? I wonder
          > > if Doepfer has any plans to continue this products.
          >
          > There are no plans to manufacture these products again. The sales of these
          > products were very poor in the end and this is why the production has been
          > stopped. Sorry. I'd take a look for second hand devices.

        • peter sedin
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 5, 2008
            looks like this shop in sweden still got them!

            http://www.analogue.org/network/frames24.htm

            peace..
            peter

            íÉÈÁÉÌ îÏ×ÉËÏ× <freiksenet@...> wrote: Hello!

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 5, 2008

              ������ ������� <freiksenet@...> wrote: Hello!

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 7, 2008
                > Hello!
                >
                > That's a pity ( I think I am able to create Pocket Fader analog with your
                > great OEM kits, but I won't be able to recreate MCV24, and I
                > don't know any
                > other similar devices. Is there any other way to pass midi
                > information from
                > numerous faders/knobs to A-100?
                >
                > Best Regards, Mikhail Novikov

                We are working on a new simple low-cost Midi-to-CV interface with multiple
                outputs (preliminary name "MTV16"). It will be available as a module as a
                replacement for both A-191 and MCV24. The prototype is ready but I have no
                information concerning availablity and price so far.

              • Silas Johansen
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 7, 2008
                  Sounds most interesting. Is there a web-page for this?

                  /Silas

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 7, 2008
                    > > We are working on a new simple low-cost Midi-to-CV interface with
                    multiple
                    > > outputs (preliminary name "MTV16"). It will be available as a module as
                    > > replacement for both A-191 and MCV24. The prototype is ready but I have
                    no
                    > > information concerning availablity and price so far.
                    > >
                    > > Best wishes
                    > > Dieter Doepfer

                    > Sounds most interesting. Is there a web-page for this?
                    >
                    > /Silas

                    No. This is a very preliminary info for the members of this group. I can
                    send you a picture of the prototype pc board. That's all I have. The board
                    has been developed last year for the new robot control unit of the Kraftwerk
                    stage equipment. The existing firmware has been adapted for the control of
                    the robot motors via midi note messages (a bit unusual as one would expect
                    control change messages). But we will develop a different firmware so that
                    the 16 CVs are controlled in a different way. The plan is to have probably 8
                    outputs for each Midi channel: gate, pitch 1 (controlled by midi note
                    messages), pitch (controlled by midi pitch bend, pitch 1 and pitch 2 can be
                    mixed together e.g. in the A-185-2 precision adder/bus access), velocity,
                    after touch, volume, modulation and probably panorama. There will be no
                    complicated menu structure as for the MCV24 but only two rotary switches for
                    the two Midi channels. Maybe another polyphonic firmware (four voice ?) will
                    be available too.

                    But it's too early to promise such details. After NAMM we will continue with
                    the MTV16 ideas.

                    btw. the NAMM is end of next week and we exhibit at the booth of Analogue
                    Haven. It a bit outside the normal exhibition area. Details on the news page
                    of our website.

                  • Silas Johansen
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 7, 2008
                      Thank you for the info, Dieter. Detailed control over two voices on
                      independent MIDI channels sounds cool - don't know if it's possible,
                      but one way to combine this with four-voice polyphony on one channel
                      would be to change to this mode when both rotary switches was set to
                      the same channel and then have something like pitch, gate, velocity
                      for each voice and pitch bend, channel aftertouch and two controllers
                      on the remaining four sockets. Does this make sense?

                      Another possibility would be to have one rotary to select mode and one
                      to select first channel with any other channels implicitly numbered
                      first channel +1, +2 and +3. This would also permit nicenesses like
                      drum triggers, one channel with a lot of controllers, two with fewer,
                      four as above, 16 controllers/synced LFO's as per A-191, shepherd
                      generator as per A-191 and whatever else people could come up with.
                      All in all making for a very versatile module with a simple user
                      interface. But I suspect this would drive the cost up as the firmware
                      would be more complicated.

                      No matter how this module will look I have a suspicion that it will
                      end up on my wish list, though.

                      /Silas

                    • hardware@doepfer.de
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 8, 2008
                        > Thank you for the info, Dieter. Detailed control over two voices on
                        > independent MIDI channels sounds cool - don't know if it's possible,
                        > but one way to combine this with four-voice polyphony on one channel
                        > would be to change to this mode when both rotary switches was set to
                        > the same channel and then have something like pitch, gate, velocity
                        > for each voice and pitch bend, channel aftertouch and two controllers
                        > on the remaining four sockets. Does this make sense?

                        That's an excellent idea. I'll forward it to Christian Assall who will write
                        the firmware.

                        > Another possibility would be to have one rotary to select mode and one
                        > to select first channel with any other channels implicitly numbered
                        > first channel +1, +2 and +3. This would also permit nicenesses like
                        > drum triggers, one channel with a lot of controllers, two with fewer,
                        > four as above, 16 controllers/synced LFO's as per A-191, shepherd
                        > generator as per A-191 and whatever else people could come up with.
                        > All in all making for a very versatile module with a simple user
                        > interface. But I suspect this would drive the cost up as the firmware
                        > would be more complicated.

                        Even this is a good idea. I think we will start a poll if it's time. At the
                        moment it is too early as we are in preparations for NAMM (mainly the latest
                        firmware for the bit cruncher/modifier). But in February/March 2008 we will
                        probably begin with the MTV16 firmware (that's only a preliminary internal
                        term).