Re: alternative placing of Multiples in portable case?

  • Stu Grimshaw
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2007
      if all you need is a lot of multiples, why not just drill a few holes
      into the wooden panels and mount jack sockets straight into them ?
      that would be not only cheaper, but also more flexible - i use
      one-to-two connections more often than not, which waste a socket of
      the doepfer multiples. assuming the wood's not too thick, of course.

      dieter, while you're looking at the design of the suitcases - the
      extra module space is a nice idea, btw - what do you think about
      putting the mains socket on the side ? i've got it on the front, but
      having it on the side (with a 90 degree plug to keep the width down)
      would still allow me to use the rack on its back - or propped up by a
      few fx pedals - without sacrificing 8hp for a module to which i need
      no access while playing (although it wouldn't surprise me to find out
      there are freaks out there that turn the power on and off for that
      extra-special-waveshaping :) ).

      stu
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2007
        HI Stu

        > the doepfer multiples. assuming the wood's not too thick, of course.
        The wood is nearly one inch thick.

        > dieter, while you're looking at the design of the suitcases - the
        > extra module space is a nice idea, btw - what do you think about
        > putting the mains socket on the side ? i've got it on the front, but
        > having it on the side (with a 90 degree plug to keep the width down)
        > would still allow me to use the rack on its back - or propped up by a
        > few fx pedals - without sacrificing 8hp for a module to which i need
        > no access while playing (although it wouldn't surprise me to find out
        > there are freaks out there that turn the power on and off for that
        > extra-special-waveshaping :) ).
        You have a old case, the new one has it on the rear. But this is not
        lucky, because you cannot lay the rack on the table. I'd prefer a socket
        on the side too.

        Florian
      • ErnstKarel
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2007
          I uploaded a couple of photos to this group last year that show just
          these two simple modifications (link below). I've mounted multiples
          directly on top of the rails at the top and bottom of the suitcase; I
          didn't even drill holes, just used a couple of wood screws and screwed
          them on. Super easy. The mult module doesn't need any space behind
          it, so it works fine.

          It's also very simple to cut a small hole in the side of the case, and
          drill four holes for the screws, to mount the mains input inside the
          side of the case. (And Stu, I do sometimes use the on-off switch for
          'waveshaping', so to speak...)

          photos:

        • Stu Grimshaw
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 1, 2007
            --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "ErnstKarel" <ekarel@...> wrote:

            > I uploaded a couple of photos to this group last year that show just
            > these two simple modifications (link below). I've mounted multiples
            > directly on top of the rails at the top and bottom of the suitcase; I
            > didn't even drill holes, just used a couple of wood screws and screwed
            > them on. Super easy. The mult module doesn't need any space behind
            > it, so it works fine.

            i remember that post, but i didn't notice at the time that you hadn't
            bothered making holes in the panels. nice piece of pragmatism!

            > It's also very simple to cut a small hole in the side of the case, and
            > drill four holes for the screws, to mount the mains input inside the
            > side of the case. (And Stu, I do sometimes use the on-off switch for
            > 'waveshaping', so to speak...)

            totally doo-lally, if you ask me :)

            stu
          • hardware@doepfer.de
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
              > dieter, while you're looking at the design of the suitcases - the
              > extra module space is a nice idea, btw - what do you think about
              > putting the mains socket on the side ? i've got it on the front, but
              > having it on the side (with a 90 degree plug to keep the width down)
              > would still allow me to use the rack on its back - or propped up by a
              > few fx pedals - without sacrificing 8hp for a module to which i need
              > no access while playing (although it wouldn't surprise me to find out
              > there are freaks out there that turn the power on and off for that
              > extra-special-waveshaping :) ).
              >
              > stu

              The main problem is the multitude of versions and stock availablity. Now we
              have already 8 different suitcases in stock (version 1/2, black/grey,
              230V/115V). Most customers prefer the mains inlet at the rear side though I
              understand that there are situations where this version is not the best
              solution. Each additional version (mains inlet left, right, top, bottom)
              would multiply the required stock. We are able to offer such suitcases with
              mains inlets at other positions as custom-made products. The delivery time
              will be a bit higher as they have to manufactured extry by our case
              manufacturer. And they will be a bit more expensive as the standard mains
              wire harness cannot be used but has to be confected manually. We
              manufactured already a couple of such special cases for customers (even with
              other width/height, e.g. 9U/84HP, 6U/168HP).

              P.S. The first picture of the planned low cost A-100 suitcase is online

              www(dot)doepfer(dot)de > PRODUCTS > Portable suitcase versions