A-185

  • junglephone
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 1, 2007
      Hello all. Here's the scenario:

      I have two A100P's. Case #1 has a sequencer array [155(2), 154 & 156],
      the 190 MIDI-CV, and 140 adsr (2). Case #2 has among other things, 3
      vco's. I have already experienced the tuning problems that suggest I
      need the 185 buss access. I am bringing in midi clock from the 190 to drive the 154/155's.
      The question is: do I need one for each case
      or just one in case #2?

      Thanks in advance,

      Adam
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 1, 2007
        Hi Adam

        > Hello all. Here's the scenario:
        We read your first posting tooo ;-)

        > I have two A100P's. Case #1 has a sequencer array [155(2), 154 & 156],
        > the 190 MIDI-CV, and 140 adsr (2). Case #2 has among other things, 3
        > vco's. I have already experienced the tuning problems that suggest I
        > need the 185 buss access. I am bringing in midi clock from the 190 to drive the 154/155's.
        > The question is: do I need one for each case
        > or just one in case #2?
        No you do not necessarily need a bus access for the two ADSRs if you are
        content with patching the gate individually to the ADSRs.

        But I have to admit, that I change my module setup every now and then,
        and finally found it useful to have a A185 in each row.

        Florian
      • junglephone
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 1, 2007
          --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, Florian Anwander
          <Florian.Anwander@...> wrote:

          > Hi Adam
          >

          > > Hello all. Here's the scenario:
          > We read your first posting tooo ;-)
          >

          > > I have two A100P's. Case #1 has a sequencer array [155(2), 154 & 156],
          > > the 190 MIDI-CV, and 140 adsr (2). Case #2 has among other things, 3
          > > vco's. I have already experienced the tuning problems that suggest I
          > > need the 185 buss access. I am bringing in midi clock from the 190
          to drive the 154/155's.
          > > The question is: do I need one for each case
          > > or just one in case #2?
          > No you do not necessarily need a bus access for the two ADSRs if you
          are
          > content with patching the gate individually to the ADSRs.
          >
          > But I have to admit, that I change my module setup every now and then,
          > and finally found it useful to have a A185 in each row.
          >
          > Florian

          Florian, thanks.

          The adsr's are on the same bus as the 190 so they are already getting
          gate signal from the bus when played by MIDI keyboard. However, I've
          noticed some intermittent volume drop when sending gate signal from a
          155. Can this be due to a fluctuation in gate level? I assuming
          running the gate out from the 155 to a 185 would even things out
          nicely, yes?
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 1, 2007
            Hi Adam

            > The adsr's are on the same bus as the 190 so they are already getting
            > gate signal from the bus when played by MIDI keyboard. However, I've
            > noticed some intermittent volume drop when sending gate signal from a
            > 155. Can this be due to a fluctuation in gate level? I assuming
            > running the gate out from the 155 to a 185 would even things out
            > nicely, yes?.
            ???? Audio signal volume drop? The Gate level has nothing to do with the
            audio level nor with the peak voltage of the Envelope. Maybe you
            misinterpret the fact that there is a relation between gate length,
            envelope times (esp. D and R) and resulting envelope (with resulting
            audio level).

            If Decay is short, Sustain is low and Release is long, then the note
            will be low with longer gates, because the Decay has enough time to
            reach the low sustain value; release will start at the low level of
            sustain. If you now trigger this envelope with a very short Gate, then
            the Decay has no time to "fall" down, and Release will start at the much
            higher level at which the short gate stopped the Decay phase.

            Florian Anwander |ConSol
            Tel. +49(89)45841-133 |Consulting&Solutions Software GmbH
            Fax +49(89)45841-111 |Franziskanerstr. 38, D-81669 M√ľnchen
            email: florian.anwander@... |http://www.consol.de
          • prscrptn
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 20, 2008
              I am building a basic 3 osc system. Is the A-185 Bus Access necessary?

              Thanks, Mike
            • Floppy
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 21, 2008
                if you want to modify the cv and gate flow in the bus of your system - yes
                but thats really not necessary.
                the bus access is really needed when you want to connect 2 systems with
                each other.

              • hardware@doepfer.de
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 21, 2008
                  > I am building a basic 3 osc system. Is the A-185 Bus Access necessary?
                  >
                  > Thanks, Mike

                  Whenever you drive more than 2 VCOs from the same CV source (e.g. A-190,
                  sequencer, keyboard ...) a bus access module (A-185-1 or A-185-2) is
                  recommended. The advantage of the A-185-2 is that you can add several CVs
                  that affect all VCOs (e.g. sequencer to CV2 + keyboard to CV3 + modulation
                  with attenuation to CV1).