Re: [Doepfer_a100] Re: Moog MF-107 "FreqBox"

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 10 2:50 AM
      Hi Wim

      > Yes I have that same feeling. The thing is quite expensive also. I
      > think Moog tries to attract customers by advertising it as "a real Moog
      > VCO" but I really don't think it sounds like a vintage Moog VCO after
      > all. Anyway, I'm quite pleased with the A-110 and A-111. I'm still
      > thinking of purchasing a Moog ring modulator (MF-102) which seems to
      > give value for money.

      The A110 _is_ a Moog VCO its quite the same circuit, which was used in
      the late seventies, early eighties for all Moog synths.

      I don't think that the VCO itself is the interesting part of this MF. It
      is the envelope follower and the idea to create a pulse wave out of the
      input signal and to use this for hard-syncing the VCO (crossmodulation
      with external audio is more common). This sounds really great and is
      definitely a patch, you should try with a modular synth.

      It requires a decent preparing of the input signal, and I think heres
      the spot where the engineers of Moog did a good job.

      Florian
    • Wim
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 10 3:01 AM
        Hi Florian,

        Ok, I see... that's where the envelope follower comes in! Indeed a
        good idea to try that with my existing A-100 set-up.

        Thanks and best regards,
        Wim

        --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, Florian Anwander
        <Florian.Anwander@...> wrote:

        > Hi Wim
        >
        > > Yes I have that same feeling. The thing is quite expensive also.
        > > think Moog tries to attract customers by advertising it as "a
        real Moog
        > > VCO" but I really don't think it sounds like a vintage Moog VCO
        after
        > > all. Anyway, I'm quite pleased with the A-110 and A-111. I'm
        still
        > > thinking of purchasing a Moog ring modulator (MF-102) which seems
        > > give value for money.
        >
        > The A110 _is_ a Moog VCO its quite the same circuit, which was used
        in
        > the late seventies, early eighties for all Moog synths.
        >
        > I don't think that the VCO itself is the interesting part of this
        MF. It
        > is the envelope follower and the idea to create a pulse wave out of
        the
        > input signal and to use this for hard-syncing the VCO
        (crossmodulation
        > with external audio is more common). This sounds really great and
        is
        > definitely a patch, you should try with a modular synth.
        >
        > It requires a decent preparing of the input signal, and I think
        heres
        > the spot where the engineers of Moog did a good job.
        >
        > Florian

      • Anton Coops
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 10 9:26 AM
          > all. Anyway, I'm quite pleased with the A-110 and A-111. I'm still
          > thinking of purchasing a Moog ring modulator (MF-102) which seems to
          > give value for money.

          Comparing the A-114 and the MF-102 I think it's fair to say that the
          MF-102 sounds warmer. Does anybody know how Bob Almighty did
          that?