Re: Moog MF-107 "FreqBox"

  • Wim
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 10, 2007
      Hi Florian,
      Yes I have that same feeling. The thing is quite expensive also. I
      think Moog tries to attract customers by advertising it as "a real Moog
      VCO" but I really don't think it sounds like a vintage Moog VCO after
      all. Anyway, I'm quite pleased with the A-110 and A-111. I'm still
      thinking of purchasing a Moog ring modulator (MF-102) which seems to
      give value for money.

      Best regards,
      Wim

      --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, Florian Anwander

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 10, 2007
        Hi Wim

        > Yes I have that same feeling. The thing is quite expensive also. I
        > think Moog tries to attract customers by advertising it as "a real Moog
        > VCO" but I really don't think it sounds like a vintage Moog VCO after
        > all. Anyway, I'm quite pleased with the A-110 and A-111. I'm still
        > thinking of purchasing a Moog ring modulator (MF-102) which seems to
        > give value for money.

        The A110 _is_ a Moog VCO its quite the same circuit, which was used in
        the late seventies, early eighties for all Moog synths.

        I don't think that the VCO itself is the interesting part of this MF. It
        is the envelope follower and the idea to create a pulse wave out of the
        input signal and to use this for hard-syncing the VCO (crossmodulation
        with external audio is more common). This sounds really great and is
        definitely a patch, you should try with a modular synth.

        It requires a decent preparing of the input signal, and I think heres
        the spot where the engineers of Moog did a good job.

        Florian
      • Wim
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 10, 2007
          Hi Florian,

          Ok, I see... that's where the envelope follower comes in! Indeed a
          good idea to try that with my existing A-100 set-up.

          Thanks and best regards,

          <Florian.Anwander@...> wrote:

          > Hi Wim
          >
          > > Yes I have that same feeling. The thing is quite expensive also.
          > > think Moog tries to attract customers by advertising it as "a
          real Moog
          > > VCO" but I really don't think it sounds like a vintage Moog VCO
          after
          > > all. Anyway, I'm quite pleased with the A-110 and A-111. I'm
          still
          > > thinking of purchasing a Moog ring modulator (MF-102) which seems
          > > give value for money.
          >
          > The A110 _is_ a Moog VCO its quite the same circuit, which was used
          in
          > the late seventies, early eighties for all Moog synths.
          >
          > I don't think that the VCO itself is the interesting part of this
          MF. It
          > is the envelope follower and the idea to create a pulse wave out of
          the
          > input signal and to use this for hard-syncing the VCO
          (crossmodulation
          > with external audio is more common). This sounds really great and
          is
          > definitely a patch, you should try with a modular synth.
          >
          > It requires a decent preparing of the input signal, and I think
          heres
          > the spot where the engineers of Moog did a good job.
          >
          > Florian

        • Anton Coops
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 10, 2007
            > all. Anyway, I'm quite pleased with the A-110 and A-111. I'm still
            > thinking of purchasing a Moog ring modulator (MF-102) which seems to
            > give value for money.

            Comparing the A-114 and the MF-102 I think it's fair to say that the
            MF-102 sounds warmer. Does anybody know how Bob Almighty did
            that?