Re: [Doepfer_a100] a-100p's on a plane!

  • Jay
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 6, 2006
      surachai sutthisasanakul wrote:
      > I know this has been an ongoing discussion but I have not found a straight forward answer. Is
      > it possible to fly around with an A-100p case as carry-on luggage? I imagine the hold up at
      > security because of the wires, metal and general shadyness of the equipment.
      > This particular situation will be a national flight, but also would like to know for international
      > flights.
      > Any information would help out a lot. Thanks!
      > -surachai.

      I can't see how you wouldn't be stopped if you took it as a carry on.
      Patch it up and bring some headphones if you want the interrogation to
      be shorter. Maybe they'll skip the strip search. ;-)
    • neil jendon
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 6, 2006
        >... Maybe they'll skip the strip search. ;-)
        ...but that's the best part.

        Cheap talk?
        http://voice.yahoo.com
      • James Husted
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 6, 2006
          About 15~20 years ago, before all this security, I was doing some
          session work in San Francisco and was late getting to my flight home.
          I had to run all the way to the gate and carry on all my gear. At the
          time I had a AKS, a home built 4-rank Sequencer and a Roland 808 drum
          machine with me. Then you could see the video display of all stuff as
          it was being x-rayed. The AKS looked like a mass of wires and circuit
          board traces. The knob caps and pots showed as different colors (I
          assume density differences). The Sequencer and 808 were in a suitcase
          together and showed up as a completely black box. Here is the sign of
          the then times - they didn't even ask me to open them up! They just
          asked what they were! Bring some headphones with you and get ready to
          turn it on and play it for them now days. And for Gods sake don't
          make ANY kind of jokes about it.

          -James

          On Dec 6, 2006, at 7:28 AM, surachai sutthisasanakul wrote:

          > I know this has been an ongoing discussion but I have not found a
          > straight forward answer. Is
          > it possible to fly around with an A-100p case as carry-on luggage?
          > I imagine the hold up at
          > security because of the wires, metal and general shadyness of the
          > equipment.
          > This particular situation will be a national flight, but also would
          > like to know for international
          > flights.
          > Any information would help out a lot. Thanks!
          > -surachai.

          James Husted
          The ErsatZ Planet Graphics and Sound
          http://homepage.mac.com/ersatzplanet/
          james.husted@...

          "Welcome to the first day of the rest of your money..."
        • redsawcloud
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 6, 2006
            I never fly without mine, it's the perfect size and weight, and haven't had any problems.
            One of the guards once said, "That thing looks expensive."
          • surachai sutthisasanakul
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 6, 2006
              --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "redsawcloud" <redsawcloud@...> wrote:

              > I never fly without mine, it's the perfect size and weight, and haven't had any problems.
              > One of the guards once said, "That thing looks expensive."

              Thanks for all the replies. Ill be flying out of D.C. aka freak-out-zone. There are signs here
              that say 'do not joke about bombs/explosive devices/terror threats, etc. Good call on the
              headphones, I wouldnt have thought about that.
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 7, 2006
                Hi surachai

                > Thanks for all the replies. Ill be flying out of D.C. aka freak-out-zone. There are signs here
                > that say 'do not joke about bombs/explosive devices/terror threats, etc. Good call on the
                > headphones, I wouldnt have thought about that.
                What about a call at the airport security to announce, that you want to
                have a flight with this one, and ask them how you should behave. You can
                ask them, whether bringing a headphone will appease them.

                If I were a hysteric but electronically knowing security man, I'd say,
                its very easy to hide explosives in a large capacitor housing. No one
                could judge, whether the capacitor is wired correctly.

                Florian
              • surachai sutthisasanakul
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 5, 2007
                  im just writing about my experience traveling with this thing.
                  i flew out of washington d.c., with the expected problems. they had no idea what it was
                  and tested it for hazardous material. a helpful hint i received earlier was to have a pair of
                  headphones/power cable to test it out for them. even though it didnt get to that stage of
                  suspicion, better safe than sorry.
                  on the way back from chicago, it was so busy, the xray scanner people didnt even bother
                  to examine it twice... which i found a little weird.
                  otherwise, smooth sailing!
                  now i expect to see more modular gear at shows!

                  --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, Florian Anwander <Florian.Anwander@...>