Re: [Doepfer_a100] Doepfer Phasers

  • Anton Coops
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2006
      The classic Mutron Bi-Phase sound is
      > outstanding, but I just want more cv control over the parameters.

      Hi Jose,

      If you want to you can make the 101-3 sound so much like the
      mutron biphase you'll only hear the difference - the lack of a certain
      shimmer - if you compare a/b, but that's just the plain vanilla flavour.
      You can go nuts with the feedback. The 101-3 is really a classic
      weapon, you can't go wrong.

      Greetings, Anton

      > Regards
      >
      > Jose
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Florian
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3, 2006
        Hi Jose,

        > How is the sound of the Doepfer phasers A-101-3 and A-125 compared to older
        > units like Roland, Mutron and the like? The classic Mutron Bi-Phase sound is
        > outstanding, but I just want more cv control over the parameters.

        The A-125 sounds like the middle class stomp box phasers for guitarists
        like from electro harmonics or ibanez.

        I don't know the A-101-3 in detail, but as far as I know (I am not 100%
        sure about this!) the Mutron had a kind of compression circuitry, which
        is not included in the A-101-3 and which might be simulated with
        additional modules.

        Florian
      • Anton Coops
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2006
          > I don't know the A-101-3 in detail, but as far as I know (I am not 100%
          > sure about this!) the Mutron had a kind of compression circuitry, which
          > is not included in the A-101-3 and which might be simulated with
          > additional modules.

          Hi Florian, Jose

          My personal uneducated guess would be that the main difference in
          sound character is caused by the type of vactrols used. Anyway,
          you can judge for yourself how much they can sound similar,
          sometime ago I uploaded an a/b doepfer/mu-tron shootout. It's not
          easy to tell which phaser does which part, or even where the
          switches from a to b are made

          http://www.xs4all.nl/~dubshot/shootout.mp3

          Greetings,

          Anton