RE: [Distillers] juniper berries

  • Pete Sayers
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 11, 2000
      Hi Katherine it's Pete here from NZ. If you are looking for juniper berries,
      why dont you go to your local Health food shop and buy some, they should
      stock them. Remember that if you are making gin there are also several other
      ingredients, like cardomon etc. Most of the commercial gin makers have their
      own "secret" reciepes. However you should be able to do a bit of research
      and get some idea of the basics.hope this helps.
      Regards Pete from Brewers Barn

      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 31, 2001
        where do you get these ? supermarket? health food shops?
      • Robert Mitchell
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 1, 2001

          You get those at health food shops. Dried, they're about $15 per kilo

            paulhend@... wrote:

          where do you get these ? supermarket? health food shops?

          Do You Yahoo!?

        • Matt
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 1, 2001
            On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 12:21:57AM -0000, paulhend@... wrote:
            > where do you get these ? supermarket? health food shops?

            also, check online sources in your country or ones that will ship to Oz for
            reasonable rates. I'm not sure about the shipping policies of these
            companies, but here's a couple in the US to give you an idea what to look
            for:

            http://www.worldspice.com/
            http://www.naturecraft.net/naturecraft/nature24.htm

            Matthew @ psibercom
          • midnighthorseman
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 3, 2008
              i am wanting to make me up some gin... im in the N.W. part of the US
              of A...i have access to fresh juniper berries but wasnt sure if fresh
              was any different than old dried ones and if i need to treat them any
              differently.is there anything else i should be aware of?
            • KM Services
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 3, 2008

                This link may give you some help also on the distillers site there is information under gin and on juniper berries.

                http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/juniper.html

                Cheers

                Ken Mc

                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008
                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "midnighthorseman" <lbc471965@...>
                  wrote:

                  > i am wanting to make me up some gin... im in the N.W. part of the US
                  > of A...i have access to fresh juniper berries but wasnt sure if fresh
                  > was any different than old dried ones and if i need to treat them any
                  > differently.is there anything else i should be aware of?

                  Hi midnighthorseman, I was thinking about this a little while ago, I
                  went out and got the dried Juniper berries ($9.00 aud for 70 grams) and
                  other stuff, I looked for fresh berries but had no luck, I went to the
                  local plant farm and ordered a Juniperus Communis tree/shrub, today it
                  turned up but the tag says Juniperus Communis "Compressa"

                  its compact and column shaped habit."

                  http://tinyurl.com/52o4u3

                  Also there is this one Juniperus Communis Linn, and I suppose theres
                  many more.

                  http://tinyurl.com/62h3go

                  Basicly, I dont know which is the right one? Do you know which one you
                  can get fresh?

                  Cheers
                  Marc
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008
                    You will need more fresh berries due to their moisture content.
                    Possibly 3 times as much as dried berries.
                    wal

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008

                      > You will need more fresh berries due to their moisture content.
                      > Possibly 3 times as much as dried berries.
                      > wal

                      Thanks Wal for your input, Info saved, Also, Can I ask if you know
                      the sub Species of Juniperus communis, that is used by the Gin makers?
                      Any which way, Thanks!

                      Cheers
                      Marc
                    • Robert Hubble
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008
                        Marc,

                        I can't speak directly to which variety the English gin makers use, but my juniper berries come from Albania, and are supplied by Penzey's Spice Company, a favorite of mine. My friends and I all agree the gin is good.

                        Bendistillers, in central Oregon's high forested country, advertises that they pick the juniper for their acclaimed gin from the local national forest, which makes that variety Western juniper, Juniperus Occidentalis. That gin has devoted followers.

                        Just a couple of data.

                        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                        To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                        From: mavnkaf@...
                        Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 14:54:13 +0000
                        Subject: [Distillers] Re: juniper berries

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@... > wrote:

                        > You will need more fresh berries due to their moisture content.
                        > Possibly 3 times as much as dried berries.
                        > wal

                        Thanks Wal for your input, Info saved, Also, Can I ask if you know
                        the sub Species of Juniperus communis, that is used by the Gin makers?
                        Any which way, Thanks!

                        Cheers
                        Marc

                        Enjoy 5 GB of free, password-protected online storage. Get Windows Live SkyDrive.
                      • midnighthorseman
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008
                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, paulhend@... wrote:

                          > where do you get these ? supermarket? health food shops?

                          i harvested these juniper berries on a ridge above my home i did a
                          search on wikipedia and found the variety i harvested from.here is the
                          link.........http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniperus_occidentalis
                        • midnighthorseman
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008

                            > You will need more fresh berries due to their moisture content.
                            > Possibly 3 times as much as dried berries.
                            > wal
                            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "midnighthorseman" <lbc471965@>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > i am wanting to make me up some gin... im in the N.W. part of
                            the US
                            > > of A...i have access to fresh juniper berries but wasnt sure if
                            fresh
                            > > was any different than old dried ones and if i need to treat
                            them any
                            > > differently.is there anything else i should be aware of?

                            here is the variety of juniper that i harvested from
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniperus_occidentalis
                            thank you wal for the info .i have read the link on gin before you
                            offered the suggestion thancks again for the help and info given and
                            might still recieve
                          • mavnkaf
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008
                              Thanks Bob for that. The Juniper bush I got said it will grow 1 1/2
                              feet in 10 years:( I think I got the wrong one.

                              It looks like I'll be buying the dried stuff for a while. On the
                              other hand I think I'll go walkabout looking in peoples front/back
                              yards for any Conifers.

                              Cheers
                              Marc

                              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...>
                              wrote:

                              > Marc,
                              >
                              > I can't speak directly to which variety the English gin makers use,
                              but my juniper berries come from Albania, and are supplied by
                              Penzey's Spice Company, a favorite of mine. My friends and I all
                              agree the gin is good.

                              > Bendistillers, in central Oregon's high forested country,
                              advertises that they pick the juniper for their acclaimed gin from
                              the local national forest, which makes that variety Western juniper,
                              Juniperus Occidentalis. That gin has devoted followers.

                              > Just a couple of data.Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
                              >

                              > To: Distillers@...: mavnkaf@...: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 14:54:13
                              +0000Subject: [Distillers] Re: juniper berries

                              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@> wrote:>>
                              You will need more fresh berries due to their moisture content.>
                              Possibly 3 times as much as dried berries.> walThanks Wal for your
                              input, Info saved, Also, Can I ask if you know the sub Species of
                              Juniperus communis, that is used by the Gin makers? Any which way,
                              Thanks!CheersMarc

                              > Enjoy 5 GB of free, password-protected online storage.
                              > http://www.windowslive.com/skydrive/overview.html?
                              ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_skydrive_062008

                            • mavnkaf
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008
                                Thanks midnighthorseman for that, Its the same type what Bob suggested.

                                Cheers
                                Marc

                                wrote:

                                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, paulhend@ wrote:
                                > >
                                > > where do you get these ? supermarket? health food shops?
                                > >
                                > i harvested these juniper berries on a ridge above my home i did a
                                > search on wikipedia and found the variety i harvested from.here is
                                the
                                > link.........http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniperus_occidentalis

                              • Kegs
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008
                                  Hi Marc,

                                  Next time you're in Woolworths look in the spice section for dried
                                  Juniper Berries.
                                  I picked up 10 packets (12g per packet) for $8.00.

                                  Cheers,

                                  Ian...

                                  On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 10:50 AM, mavnkaf <mavnkaf@...> wrote:
                                  > Thanks Bob for that. The Juniper bush I got said it will grow 1 1/2
                                  > feet in 10 years:( I think I got the wrong one.
                                  >
                                  > It looks like I'll be buying the dried stuff for a while. On the
                                  > other hand I think I'll go walkabout looking in peoples front/back
                                  > yards for any Conifers.
                                  >
                                  > Cheers
                                  > Marc
                                • mavnkaf
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 5, 2008
                                    Hi Ian, thanks for that susgestion, you know, I'm one of those poeple
                                    who can pass the very object I'm looking for many times before I see
                                    it. I was there (safeway) today looking for liquorice root, did'nt
                                    find it, I did'nt think to check for juniper berries, I will look for
                                    it next time I'm there. I'm always looking to do things cheaply as
                                    possible.

                                    Cheers
                                    Marc

                                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Kegs <kegscruiser@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi Marc,
                                    >
                                    > Next time you're in Woolworths look in the spice section for dried
                                    > Juniper Berries.
                                    > I picked up 10 packets (12g per packet) for $8.00.
                                    >

                                    > Cheers,
                                    >
                                    > Ian...
                                    >
                                    > On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 10:50 AM, mavnkaf <mavnkaf@...> wrote:
                                    > > Thanks Bob for that. The Juniper bush I got said it will grow 1
                                    1/2
                                    > > feet in 10 years:( I think I got the wrong one.
                                    > >
                                    > > It looks like I'll be buying the dried stuff for a while. On the
                                    > > other hand I think I'll go walkabout looking in peoples front/back
                                    > > yards for any Conifers.
                                    > >
                                    > > Cheers
                                    > > Marc

                                  • Kegs
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jun 5, 2008
                                      Hi Marc,

                                      I get Liquorice Root from the local Chinese shop, I forget the price
                                      but it's about $2.00 for a small bag which lasts forever.

                                      Cheers,

                                      Ian...