juniper berries

  • katherine_cronin@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 10, 2000
      Greetings all!
      I am brand new at this hooch making stuff and I am really excited. I
      am looking for get away from the store bought essences if I can so I
      am looking for juniper berries. I haven't a yew bush growing in my
      back yard.. can anyone help?
      Cheers,
      Katherine
    • Dick
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 11, 2000
        In message <8n01r2+10is@...>, katherine_cronin@...
        writes
        >Greetings all!
        >I am brand new at this hooch making stuff and I am really excited. I
        >am looking for get away from the store bought essences if I can so I
        >am looking for juniper berries. I haven't a yew bush growing in my
        >back yard.. can anyone help?
        >Cheers,
        >Katherine
        Katherine,
        I hope that was a mistake when you said you haven't got a yew
        bush for juniper berries. If what you are calling yew is the taxus baccata then
        the seeds in the berries (bright red with an obvious seed visible at the end -
        like a cocktail olive !!) are VERY VERY poisonous and should not be eaten
        under any circumstances (unless you're a bird, in which case the seeds go
        right through & out the other end !!)
        The juniper you want is juniperus communis, the berries are green at
        first but if left on the bush for a year turn blue/black & have that wonderful
        juniper smell when crushed. Juniper is fairly slow growing so you're probably
        better off going to a health food shop, herbalist or good cook shop for
        supplies - the berries are great for use in cooking & pickling. However if
        you're ever in Scotland talk to me 'cos I know where they grow wild !!
        Another source might be aromatherapy juniper oil, it'll be very
        concentrated but it's supposed to be a pure extract. Don't know if anyone
        else in the group has had experience of using juniper in this form.
        --
        Dick
      • Pete Sayers
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 11, 2000
          Hi Katherine it's Pete here from NZ. If you are looking for juniper berries,
          why dont you go to your local Health food shop and buy some, they should
          stock them. Remember that if you are making gin there are also several other
          ingredients, like cardomon etc. Most of the commercial gin makers have their
          own "secret" reciepes. However you should be able to do a bit of research
          and get some idea of the basics.hope this helps.
          Regards Pete from Brewers Barn

        • paulhend@senet.com.au
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 31, 2001
            where do you get these ? supermarket? health food shops?
          • Robert Mitchell
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 1, 2001

              You get those at health food shops. Dried, they're about $15 per kilo

                paulhend@... wrote:

              where do you get these ? supermarket? health food shops?

              Do You Yahoo!?

            • Matt
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 1, 2001
                On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 12:21:57AM -0000, paulhend@... wrote:
                > where do you get these ? supermarket? health food shops?

                also, check online sources in your country or ones that will ship to Oz for
                reasonable rates. I'm not sure about the shipping policies of these
                companies, but here's a couple in the US to give you an idea what to look
                for:

                http://www.worldspice.com/
                http://www.naturecraft.net/naturecraft/nature24.htm

                Matthew @ psibercom
              • midnighthorseman
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 3, 2008
                  i am wanting to make me up some gin... im in the N.W. part of the US
                  of A...i have access to fresh juniper berries but wasnt sure if fresh
                  was any different than old dried ones and if i need to treat them any
                  differently.is there anything else i should be aware of?
                • KM Services
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 3, 2008

                    This link may give you some help also on the distillers site there is information under gin and on juniper berries.

                    http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/juniper.html

                    Cheers

                    Ken Mc

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008
                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "midnighthorseman" <lbc471965@...>
                      wrote:

                      > i am wanting to make me up some gin... im in the N.W. part of the US
                      > of A...i have access to fresh juniper berries but wasnt sure if fresh
                      > was any different than old dried ones and if i need to treat them any
                      > differently.is there anything else i should be aware of?

                      Hi midnighthorseman, I was thinking about this a little while ago, I
                      went out and got the dried Juniper berries ($9.00 aud for 70 grams) and
                      other stuff, I looked for fresh berries but had no luck, I went to the
                      local plant farm and ordered a Juniperus Communis tree/shrub, today it
                      turned up but the tag says Juniperus Communis "Compressa"

                      its compact and column shaped habit."

                      http://tinyurl.com/52o4u3

                      Also there is this one Juniperus Communis Linn, and I suppose theres
                      many more.

                      http://tinyurl.com/62h3go

                      Basicly, I dont know which is the right one? Do you know which one you
                      can get fresh?

                      Cheers
                      Marc
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008
                        You will need more fresh berries due to their moisture content.
                        Possibly 3 times as much as dried berries.
                        wal

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008

                          > You will need more fresh berries due to their moisture content.
                          > Possibly 3 times as much as dried berries.
                          > wal

                          Thanks Wal for your input, Info saved, Also, Can I ask if you know
                          the sub Species of Juniperus communis, that is used by the Gin makers?
                          Any which way, Thanks!

                          Cheers
                          Marc
                        • Robert Hubble
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008
                            Marc,

                            I can't speak directly to which variety the English gin makers use, but my juniper berries come from Albania, and are supplied by Penzey's Spice Company, a favorite of mine. My friends and I all agree the gin is good.

                            Bendistillers, in central Oregon's high forested country, advertises that they pick the juniper for their acclaimed gin from the local national forest, which makes that variety Western juniper, Juniperus Occidentalis. That gin has devoted followers.

                            Just a couple of data.

                            Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                            To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                            From: mavnkaf@...
                            Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 14:54:13 +0000
                            Subject: [Distillers] Re: juniper berries

                            --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@... > wrote:

                            > You will need more fresh berries due to their moisture content.
                            > Possibly 3 times as much as dried berries.
                            > wal

                            Thanks Wal for your input, Info saved, Also, Can I ask if you know
                            the sub Species of Juniperus communis, that is used by the Gin makers?
                            Any which way, Thanks!

                            Cheers
                            Marc

                            Enjoy 5 GB of free, password-protected online storage. Get Windows Live SkyDrive.
                          • midnighthorseman
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008
                              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, paulhend@... wrote:

                              > where do you get these ? supermarket? health food shops?

                              i harvested these juniper berries on a ridge above my home i did a
                              search on wikipedia and found the variety i harvested from.here is the
                              link.........http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniperus_occidentalis
                            • midnighthorseman
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008

                                > You will need more fresh berries due to their moisture content.
                                > Possibly 3 times as much as dried berries.
                                > wal
                                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "midnighthorseman" <lbc471965@>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > i am wanting to make me up some gin... im in the N.W. part of
                                the US
                                > > of A...i have access to fresh juniper berries but wasnt sure if
                                fresh
                                > > was any different than old dried ones and if i need to treat
                                them any
                                > > differently.is there anything else i should be aware of?

                                here is the variety of juniper that i harvested from
                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniperus_occidentalis
                                thank you wal for the info .i have read the link on gin before you
                                offered the suggestion thancks again for the help and info given and
                                might still recieve
                              • mavnkaf
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008
                                  Thanks Bob for that. The Juniper bush I got said it will grow 1 1/2
                                  feet in 10 years:( I think I got the wrong one.

                                  It looks like I'll be buying the dried stuff for a while. On the
                                  other hand I think I'll go walkabout looking in peoples front/back
                                  yards for any Conifers.

                                  Cheers
                                  Marc

                                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > Marc,
                                  >
                                  > I can't speak directly to which variety the English gin makers use,
                                  but my juniper berries come from Albania, and are supplied by
                                  Penzey's Spice Company, a favorite of mine. My friends and I all
                                  agree the gin is good.

                                  > Bendistillers, in central Oregon's high forested country,
                                  advertises that they pick the juniper for their acclaimed gin from
                                  the local national forest, which makes that variety Western juniper,
                                  Juniperus Occidentalis. That gin has devoted followers.

                                  > Just a couple of data.Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
                                  >

                                  > To: Distillers@...: mavnkaf@...: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 14:54:13
                                  +0000Subject: [Distillers] Re: juniper berries

                                  > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@> wrote:>>
                                  You will need more fresh berries due to their moisture content.>
                                  Possibly 3 times as much as dried berries.> walThanks Wal for your
                                  input, Info saved, Also, Can I ask if you know the sub Species of
                                  Juniperus communis, that is used by the Gin makers? Any which way,
                                  Thanks!CheersMarc

                                  > Enjoy 5 GB of free, password-protected online storage.
                                  > http://www.windowslive.com/skydrive/overview.html?
                                  ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_skydrive_062008

                                • mavnkaf
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008
                                    Thanks midnighthorseman for that, Its the same type what Bob suggested.

                                    Cheers
                                    Marc

                                    wrote:

                                    > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, paulhend@ wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > where do you get these ? supermarket? health food shops?
                                    > >
                                    > i harvested these juniper berries on a ridge above my home i did a
                                    > search on wikipedia and found the variety i harvested from.here is
                                    the
                                    > link.........http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniperus_occidentalis

                                  • Kegs
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008
                                      Hi Marc,

                                      Next time you're in Woolworths look in the spice section for dried
                                      Juniper Berries.
                                      I picked up 10 packets (12g per packet) for $8.00.

                                      Cheers,

                                      Ian...

                                      On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 10:50 AM, mavnkaf <mavnkaf@...> wrote:
                                      > Thanks Bob for that. The Juniper bush I got said it will grow 1 1/2
                                      > feet in 10 years:( I think I got the wrong one.
                                      >
                                      > It looks like I'll be buying the dried stuff for a while. On the
                                      > other hand I think I'll go walkabout looking in peoples front/back
                                      > yards for any Conifers.
                                      >
                                      > Cheers
                                      > Marc
                                    • mavnkaf
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jun 5, 2008
                                        Hi Ian, thanks for that susgestion, you know, I'm one of those poeple
                                        who can pass the very object I'm looking for many times before I see
                                        it. I was there (safeway) today looking for liquorice root, did'nt
                                        find it, I did'nt think to check for juniper berries, I will look for
                                        it next time I'm there. I'm always looking to do things cheaply as
                                        possible.

                                        Cheers
                                        Marc

                                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Kegs <kegscruiser@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi Marc,
                                        >
                                        > Next time you're in Woolworths look in the spice section for dried
                                        > Juniper Berries.
                                        > I picked up 10 packets (12g per packet) for $8.00.
                                        >

                                        > Cheers,
                                        >
                                        > Ian...
                                        >
                                        > On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 10:50 AM, mavnkaf <mavnkaf@...> wrote:
                                        > > Thanks Bob for that. The Juniper bush I got said it will grow 1
                                        1/2
                                        > > feet in 10 years:( I think I got the wrong one.
                                        > >
                                        > > It looks like I'll be buying the dried stuff for a while. On the
                                        > > other hand I think I'll go walkabout looking in peoples front/back
                                        > > yards for any Conifers.
                                        > >
                                        > > Cheers
                                        > > Marc

                                      • Kegs
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jun 5, 2008
                                          Hi Marc,

                                          I get Liquorice Root from the local Chinese shop, I forget the price
                                          but it's about $2.00 for a small bag which lasts forever.

                                          Cheers,

                                          Ian...