FW: [Distillers] Turbo yeast

  • Pete Sayers
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10, 2000
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Pete Sayers [mailto:brubarn@...]
      Sent: Friday, 11 August 2000 11:21
      To: Dick; Distillers@egroups.com
      Subject: RE: [Distillers] Turbo yeast

      Hi Dick, Pete here from NZ. I have been using the turbo 8 and its cousins
      for several years now and yes you problems are only minor. Firstly, the
      cloudiness will settle out given enough time, the simplest way to clear the
      wash is to decant( rack) it off into a suitable sized container, and leave
      it to get cold. It may take a few days, depending on the ambient temp, but
      it will clear quite well. It never seems to clear completely, however this
      is not as critical, as most of the cloudiness will dissappear during
      distilation, and carbon filtering. Secondly, the most common mistake people
      make when using the turbo 8, is to add the yeast/nutrients when the temp of
      the sugar/ water solution is too high. Because the turbo 8 is so active it
      tends to add anything upto 5-8C degrees of it's own temp. So if you always
      remember to add the yeast when the temp is only about 20-22C.What happens is
      the temp rises to over 28-30C and the yeast races, gets "tired" and sinks to
      the bottom believeing it's job is done, leaving less yeast to complete the
      job, consequently fermentation will take much longer.Lastly most of the time
      a turbo will ferment down to 985-990 quite readily. Keep at it Dick.
      regards Pete at Brewers Barn