RE: [Distillers] Alcotech 48h vs Turbo pure 48h

  • Robert N
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 2, 2003
      Meddelande

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Johan [mailto:mugg@...]
      Sent
      :
      Sunday, March 02, 2003 12:13 PM
      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Distillers] Alcotech 48h vs Turbo pure 48h

      I finally got my FOA distiller back (about 1-2 theoretical bottoms in that) so I have distilled some of the alcotech and the turbo pure mash.

      Both are good yeast, but turbo pure is better. It is easy to separate them apart by tasting the product. Strength is about the same.

      If you want to make vodka I suggest you give any of them a try.

      The distillate from the alcotech was a little stronger, from 1 liter mash I got 5 dl 40%, and from the turbo pure, 5 dl 36% but I changed the heater when I distilled the turbo pure mash (the heater had bad contact) so that may have caused some difference.

      I'm testing in the plastic still as well but that'll take some time to finish.

      Johan

      Hi Johan, glad to hear you are having success with your experiments, and thankyou for sharing them with us. A small question I have is you use the abbreviation “dl” quite often throughout your posts. That abbreviation is not that common around the world and I for one have taken it to mean tenths of a litre. Am I correct in my assumptions?

      An idea that I have had was to produce a continuous solar still of sorts. Whereby I could place my 50litre wash out under the sun, letting the wash trickle into it and produce a more concentrated wash, then run the concentrate through my reflux still.

      Yours in Spirit

      Robert

    • Johan
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 2, 2003
        Meddelande
        Oh sorry about that, dl is deciliter and that is as you said 1/10 of a liter.

      • danev2 <danev2@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 2, 2003
          I too have tried the solar still design, in my opinion the freezer
          method is better.
          If you live in the southern regoins of the US or below the 45th
          parallel, then slar still work great as strippers. but they take a
          bit of construction and alot of care to make them leak free and they
          are justas slow as putting a few gallons a time in the freezer.

          Just an opinion,

          DV

          PS Johan, I too have tried the Alcotec, and I really like it.
          Haven't tried the Still Spirits, but will soon,
          Thanks for the comments

          > I finally got my FOA distiller back (about 1-2 theoretical bottoms
          in
          > that) so I have distilled some of the alcotech and the turbo pure
          mash.
          > Both are good yeast, but turbo pure is better. It is easy to
          separate
          > them apart by tasting the product. Strength is about the same.
          >
          > If you want to make vodka I suggest you give any of them a try.
          >
          > The distillate from the alcotech was a little stronger, from 1 liter
          > mash I got 5 dl 40%, and from the turbo pure, 5 dl 36% but I
          changed the
          > heater when I distilled the turbo pure mash (the heater had bad
          contact)
          > so that may have caused some difference.
          >
          > I'm testing in the plastic still as well but that'll take some time
          > finish.
          >
          > Johan
          >

          > Hi Johan, glad to hear you are having success with your
          experiments, and
          > thankyou for sharing them with us. A small question I have is you
          use
          > the abbreviation "dl" quite often throughout your posts. That
          > abbreviation is not that common around the world and I for one have
          > taken it to mean tenths of a litre. Am I correct in my assumptions?
          >
          > An idea that I have had was to produce a continuous solar still of
          > sorts. Whereby I could place my 50litre wash out under the sun,
          letting
          > the wash trickle into it and produce a more concentrated wash, then
          run
          > the concentrate through my reflux still.
          >
          > Yours in Spirit
          >

          > Robert
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=247110.3002362.4362645.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=17
          05

          041694:HM/A=1476504/R=2/id=noscript/*http:/ads.addynamix.com/click/2-
          212
          > 7480-36?>
          >
          > <http://ads.addynamix.com/creative/2-2127480-36?>
          >

          > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
          M=247110.3002362.4362645.2848452/D=egrou
          > pmail/S=:HM/A=1476504/rand=261468125>
          >
          > To unsubscribe from this group send an email to
          > distillers-unsubscribe@onelist.com

        • Robert N
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 7, 2003
            Meddelande

            Hi all, I am looking for some feedback on how well this idea would work. Being a lazy bastard at heart, I like to have things organised in such a way as to limit the amount of effort that is required. I have looked at the freeze stripping method, and while worthy, I do not have the freezer space to accommodate my wash in quart bottles. Therefore, I am thinking about a stripping run, my offset head still is such that I do not think that the cost (time and money) of doing a stripping run would be worth it, others may disagree. Hence, I have come around to the idea of a solar still and Johan’s amazing still. Johan’s amazing still looks like it would work very well but as my wash is 50 litres in size, I have come to the conclusion that it maybe more trouble than its worth placing only a couple of litres at a time into “the amazing still”. (Johan no offence is meant as I haven’t tried yours) I may as well just do a still run. Consequently, this idea has sprung to mind.

            The principle of this idea runs along the lines of the solar still in the picture below. The idea is for a stripping still and can be used purely as a solar still or with a heater in it such as Johan’s amazing still. http://www.amazingstill.com/parts.html

            All that is needed is another second lid for the fermenting carboy that you use. Once the wash has finished fermenting, change lids and sit the wash in the sun or insert a heating element, of a suitable wattage set at a temperature similar to “the amazing still”. Place a hose on the nipple at the outer edge and give this hose one turn to create an airlock, place the hose into a suitable size collection container (your boiler). Come back to it in a couple of days and the stripped wash is ready to run through the reflux still.

            How I would construct the modified lid, to have this type of solar still on top of it. The way I see it, all we really require is the threaded outer section of the lid. Cut the entire lid section from the threaded part of the lid. Obtain a suitable bowl that would allow the threaded part of the lid to just sit inside of it. Drop the lid into the bowl; find by measurement, what depth the bottom of the lid should be inside the bowl so that you can cut the excess from the top edge of the bowl. Hold in place and with a small blowtorch or soldering iron melt the outer edge of the lid and bowl together. Use the off-cut from the bowl to fix or fill any holes not wanted. Obtain a hard piece of tube and glue or plastic weld it into such a position as to allow the distillate to drain out of this new lid. I would envisage ¼” tubing. Fit a length of tube to this outlet-fitting affix the lid, thermometer, and heating element and you are in business.

            As I have yet to work up the courage to cut up my wife’s favourite Tupperware mixing bowl and plastic weld it into oblivion, all in the name of making booze, I am asking others for feedback good and especially bad.  Am I wasting my time here?

            Image pilfered from the bio-fuel web site.

            Yours in Spirit

            Robert

          • Ludwig

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 8, 2003
                Quite interesting idea that I think would work. The issue here is the
                speed of collection. Amazing still has a lot more condensing area
                than just a plain lid. Few suggestions: Make the lid cone shaped and
                glue it together with aquarium grade silicone. That way you don't
                have to ruin your domestic relations and dripping speed will be
                increased. It also elimimates the flat area on top that causes
                dripping back to container. Also, it might be possible to use a large
                PVC hose cut to half on bottom of the cone to collect the distillate.
                If you build it let us know how it works. I have also considered and
                even tried some designs of removable lid based stripper. So far the
                amazing still is the best I've found, but I believe it can be
                improved and simplified.

                Greetz, Riku

              • abbababbaccc
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 8, 2003
                  Another improvement idea. If you do the cone you could attach a
                  plastic bucket without a bottom to the lid, ie. make it a container
                  that can be filled with water to improve condensation. This of course
                  only works if you are using heater. Amazing still produces ~1
                  liter /24 hours with ~75 Wats of heating power. Let us know your
                  results.

                  Greetz, Riku

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert N" <dinks_c@y...> wrote:
                  > Hi all, I am looking for some feedback on how well this idea would
                  work.
                  > Being a lazy bastard at heart, I like to have things organised in
                  such a
                  > way as to limit the amount of effort that is required. I have
                  looked at
                  > the freeze stripping method, and while worthy, I do not have the
                  freezer
                  > space to accommodate my wash in quart bottles. Therefore, I am
                  thinking
                  > about a stripping run, my offset head still is such that I do not
                  obert .....
                • Robert N
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 8, 2003

                    Hi Riku, I thought about the parabolic design, but not the conical. Given that the bowl was the closest, I came to the parabolic design. With the bucket idea, what you are suggesting is the outside of the bucket would be covered with cold water? If not then I am in need of clarification, just like my washes.

                    Yours in 1 litre of 40% ABV Spirit! Hic!

                    Robert

                    Its Saturday night!

                    Distillers] Re: solar stripping still for fermenter

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 8, 2003
                      Meddelande
                      I made a similar construction with the help of 2 fermenting buckets and a plastic bag.  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Distillers/files/plast25L.jpg
                      Speed was good but the strength wasn't. About 30 % from 18% mash. I used a 100W heater and 52 degrees.
                      I believe the best way to achieve good strength is to separate the saturated air and cool down the air as much as possible, that's what experience have showed me so far.

                      I'll try another thing some day, saturated air at let's say 80 degrees is mixed with saturated air at 25-20 degrees, this should create a mist. My hope is that the fine mist droplets will evaporate more ethanol back to the air since it shouldn't be in equilibrium with the vapor... if there is time enough. Then the air is cooled down in another vessel and alcohol withdrawn (mist droplets is returned to the mash). air is returned to the 80 degrees container and to the mist "chamber"
                      We'll see about the quality, probably sucks but it's worth a try. Its not tricky to build.

                      Johan

                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 8, 2003
                        Aye, saturday night. Whiskey's running low but I've got plenty of
                        vodka left. The conical shape, I shaped the lid of my amazing still
                        to parabolic form with hot air gun. It drips to the edges allright,
                        but droplets in the middle tend to stay and drop back to distillate
                        bucket. That's the reason I suggest cone shaped lid. About the bucket
                        thing, the cone forms the bottom of the bucket so you'll have water
                        cooling the cone. That way you'll have extra absorption of heat and
                        improved condensation. Some on the water will evaporate but you can
                        add more daily or just let it run down. I could try it myself, but
                        can't find any extra lids for buckets. I'll propably keep running my
                        amazing still untill a better version is developed. Aquarium air pump
                        is another interesting thing to experiment with.

                        Greetz, Riku

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert N" <dinks_c@y...> wrote:
                        > Hi Riku, I thought about the parabolic design, but not the conical.
                        > Given that the bowl was the closest, I came to the parabolic design.
                        > With the bucket idea, what you are suggesting is the outside of the
                        > bucket would be covered with cold water? If not then I am in need of
                        > clarification, just like my washes.
                        >
                        > Yours in 1 litre of 40% ABV Spirit! Hic!
                        >

                        > Robert
                        >
                        > Its Saturday night!

                        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=247865.3003379.4374531.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=17
                        05
                        > 041694:HM/A=1482387/R=0/*http:/ads.x10.com/?
                        bHlhaG9vaG0xLmRhd=1047133142
                        > %
                        3eM=247865.3003379.4374531.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705041694:HM/A=14823
                        8