Re: [Distillers] Funky yeast behavior

  • Bryn Tucker
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2003
      Sounds a little acidic...
      I've had a fruit batch do similar things. I agitated the batch (swirled it) a little and it seemed to help, but it took a lot longer than normal to finish fermenting and clear out. The clumps of yeast revolving is a good sign; it means that there is CO2 being made. You probably need to just wait it out.

      -Bryn
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2003
        I wouldn't worry, it is just a thin wort to start with.
        YOu have bubbles?
        Movement of the yeast bottom to surface
        A slightly above ambient temp?

        If the answer is yes then just let it run it's course for a few weeks

        I am using EC1118 for a brandy wort now, no cap or yeast foam at
        all.just a layer of bubbles, like a thin beer head
        Spec grav. 1.17

        What is your spec. grav. ?

        DV

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Alexander

      • BillyWeeble@cs.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 6, 2003
          tripcityusa@... writes:

          << 10 g of Lalvin EC1118 (in 150 L batch) >>

          I believe that Turbo's claim to fame starts with a huge amount of yeast
          (with nutrients, etc) and is what is missing in your formula. Try more yeast
          when making a large batch or just be patient when using less. Alltech has a
          good yeast comparable to what you used and is sold in 500 gm (1/2 lb) bags
          for around, what, $7 US? Dang, wish I had a memory...