Funky yeast behavior

  • Chris Alexander <tripcityusa@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2003
      Please Help!!!!!!!!!¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

      have made a wort out of light brown sugar, juices of orange, papaya,
      pineapple & peach, nutrients, juice of a lg lemon and 10 g of Lalvin
      EC1118. instead of having a thick yellowish head on the wort have a
      thin clear bubble layer w clumps of yeast vigorously revolving in a
      vertical axis. ¿what´s going on? ¿is this OK?
      150 liters gone bad will just kill me.

      Thanks for any suggestions of info..........................Chris
    • danev2 <danev2@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2003
        I wouldn't worry, it is just a thin wort to start with.
        YOu have bubbles?
        Movement of the yeast bottom to surface
        A slightly above ambient temp?

        If the answer is yes then just let it run it's course for a few weeks

        I am using EC1118 for a brandy wort now, no cap or yeast foam at
        all.just a layer of bubbles, like a thin beer head
        Spec grav. 1.17

        What is your spec. grav. ?

        DV

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Alexander
        <tripcityusa@y...>" <tripcityusa@y...> wrote:

        > Please Help!!!!!!!!!¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡
        >
        > have made a wort out of light brown sugar, juices of orange,
        papaya,
        > pineapple & peach, nutrients, juice of a lg lemon and 10 g of
        Lalvin
        > EC1118. instead of having a thick yellowish head on the wort have a
        > thin clear bubble layer w clumps of yeast vigorously revolving in a
        > vertical axis. ¿what´s going on? ¿is this OK?
        > 150 liters gone bad will just kill me.
        >
        > Thanks for any suggestions of info..........................Chris
      • Bryn Tucker
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2003
          Sounds a little acidic...
          I've had a fruit batch do similar things. I agitated the batch (swirled it) a little and it seemed to help, but it took a lot longer than normal to finish fermenting and clear out. The clumps of yeast revolving is a good sign; it means that there is CO2 being made. You probably need to just wait it out.

          -Bryn

        • BillyWeeble@cs.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 6, 2003
            tripcityusa@... writes:

            << 10 g of Lalvin EC1118 (in 150 L batch) >>

            I believe that Turbo's claim to fame starts with a huge amount of yeast
            (with nutrients, etc) and is what is missing in your formula. Try more yeast
            when making a large batch or just be patient when using less. Alltech has a
            good yeast comparable to what you used and is sold in 500 gm (1/2 lb) bags
            for around, what, $7 US? Dang, wish I had a memory...