RE: [Distillers] Cut question

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 1, 2003
      Jacques,

      "When it stops burning" will give you a cut around the 50% mark. Sometimes its usefull to still collect past this point, but into a second container (and a third, and fourth ...). That way you can judge what the flavours are like in those tails, and if they are worth adding or not. Its easy to collect them, and doesnt take too much extra time, but gives you the option of having them. Easy to throw them out if you have to, but avoids regretting that you didnt make the cut too early.

      Its also worth collecting the tails anyhow, for redistilling at a later stage. Sure - they may only be from 50-20% alchol, but thats still good alcohol that can be recovered.

      For apple flavours, I've found that they are often in the heads, rather than the tails. Did you discard much of the initial distillate ?

      Tony
    • Jacques <Jacs_man@hotmail.com>
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 1, 2003
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)"
        <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
        > Jacques,
        >
        > "When it stops burning" will give you a cut around the 50% mark.

        Can you explain further...50% of what?

        > For apple flavours, I've found that they are often in the heads,
        rather than the tails. Did you discard much of the initial
        distillate ?

        I did not use any of the early drip. I wasn't sure if it had much
        methanol, but figured better to be on the safe side.

        My nexy run, I'll be a bit more observant.

        > Tony

        Thanx,
        Mark
      • K & J
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 1, 2003

          Tony

          Its also worth collecting the tails anyhow, for redistilling at a later stage. Sure - they may only be from 50-20% alchol, but thats still good alcohol that can be recovered.

          I have never bothered in collecting tails as all the advice I have had suggests it is hardly worth it and the you should not put "contaminated collect" into a clean wash??.

          The way I distill is to discard 50ml of head and collect the body ( I know with my still I can get around 4.5 litre of good stuff 80%to 85%)then I will us a vase that holds 250ml which I float my hydrometer in  and will take the remainder off in 250ml lots until I reach 60% then stop.I then tip the remaining wash.

          I do not want "flavours" in my alcohol as I as Like to make gin etc also like to create my own flavours and will age in Oak for making whiskey /bourbon etc.which works fine for me.

          If you are to continue and collect tails how far do you go? say % wise or do you have temperature bench mark as well say 90c?or if you can control the head temperature until it stops?

          I am also interested in anyone posting recipes for liqueurs,Rum, whiskey etc basically any good recipes using neutrel spirit.I mainly prefer to use flavourings available at the brew shop and like to tweek them,but in saying that a good home recipe I would be really keen to see.

          Cheers
           Ken Mc

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 1, 2003
            K & J

            Tony said:
            Its also worth collecting the tails anyhow, for redistilling at a later stage. Sure - they may only be from 50-20% alchol, but thats still good alcohol that can be recovered.

            I have never bothered in collecting tails as all the advice I have had suggests it is hardly worth it and the you should not put "contaminated collect" into a clean wash??.
            Poor advice.  What on earth can be wrong in putting "contaminated collect" into the next batch if it contains a whole heap of good ethanol?  The first batch you put in contained those "contaminants", and you successfully extracted ethanol from that batch as a distillation still is a separating device.  Nothing will have changed if you add those "contaminants" to the next batch together with all that unseparated ethanol ... ethanol which you will then have a second chance of getting your hands on.

            The way I distill is to discard 50ml of head and collect the body ( I know with my still I can get around 4.5 litre of good stuff 80%to 85%)then I will us a vase that holds 250ml which I float my hydrometer in  and will take the remainder off in 250ml lots until I reach 60% then stop.I then tip the remaining wash.
            It's your choice ... but what a waste!

            I do not want "flavours" in my alcohol as I as Like to make gin etc also like to create my own flavours and will age in Oak for making whiskey /bourbon etc.which works fine for me.
            If you do not want "flavours" in your alcohol, then you should set aside more than 50ml of heads and chuck them into the next batch together with those tails.  The heads also contain a high percentage of ethanol ... higher than the tails.  You should also aim for a higher abv than 80-85% as this is a measure of how efficient your separation has been.  I recommend you examine your equipment and procedures critically.

            If you are to continue and collect tails how far do you go? say % wise or do you have temperature bench mark as well say 90c?or if you can control the head temperature until it stops?
            As far as you like.  If you end up just collecting water, this will make no difference to any subsequent separation in another batch ... it will simply assure you that you have not thrown away any good ethanol.  Please do not run away with the idea that ethanol not collected on the middle run of a batch is lost forever.  It is not.  Nor should you believe that "contaminated" ethanol in heads or tails is forever tainted.  It is not.  I respectfully submit that you have been poorly advised by those that believe that it is, as there is absolutely no foundation to that belief.  In contrast, Tony's advice is sound and based both on practical experience and his expert knowledge of chemistry and physics.

            Mike N
          • BOKAKOB

[...]

              I can be wrong I must say.
              Cheers, Alex...

              Do you Yahoo!?

            • Rob Marshall
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 1, 2003
                The thumper is really good for extracting flavours. You can make gin, for example by putting juniper berries in the thumper. It stands to reason tht if you add freshly crushed apples or, instead just fresh apple juice, you should be able to extract the apple flavour. I've heard that you don't want ot have any seeds in the mix cause they make it bitter.

                 "Jacques <Jacs_man@...>" <Jacs_man@...> wrote:

                My question deals with when to shut down the still.
                I ran some apple wine thru my copper pot and thumper system after
                freezing it and straining the resulting higher (condensed) alc.
                content thru the ice. I stopped the still when I wasn't able to burn
                a flame blue in a teaspoon anymore.
                After one run thru, the result of the shine was very strong, and
                quite palatable, to say the least.
                I wonder, though, if I had let it run a bit longer, would I have
                picked up more of the apple flavor?
                I've tried to add that flavor back in by mixing it with some apple
                wine and then some plain apple juice, but it doesen't taste quite as
                good as I would have expected.
                I also put some uncut still stregth in a bottle with a bit of honey,
                vanilla and oak chips. This has sat for about a month, now, and
                really tastes good, but not a flavor of apple.
                Any suggestions or direction would be appreciated. I have anothe 15
                gallons of wine to process and would like to make an improvement.
                Thanx,
                Mark

              • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 2, 2003
                  >I have never bothered in collecting tails as all the advice I have had suggests it is hardly worth it and the you should not put "contaminated collect" into a clean wash??.

                  There is still a fair amount of good alcohol present there. Sure - its only cost you a dollars worth of sugar, but I just dont see the point on throwing it away, when it is so easy to collect.

                  If you add the tails to your next run, they wont contaiminate it. If you do want to be overly cautious, keep the tails say from 4-5 runs, and just run them by themselves - see what you collect - it may surprise you, but it will be just as clean as your regular run.

                  Tony
                • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 2, 2003
                    > Can you explain further...50% of what?

                    50% alcohol by volume is roughly the "flame" point. Lower % can be ignited (eg brandy at 35% for plum puddings) but that usually requires the spirit to be heated up a bit.

                    Tony
                  • K & J
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 4, 2003

                      Mike
                      Just noticed this reply in my inbox ...Thanks so much for taking the time to answer in such detail and will follow your advice and collect the tails and heads from here on in.
                      I am cautious by nature but welcome sound informed advice.
                      I have been having some corresepondence with Tony and he has viewed some sketches I have done to modify my still and have now made those changes which should improve the abv % will post photo's/sketches etc after I have given it a run in the near future
                      Thank once again.

                      Cheers Ken Mc

                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 4, 2003
                        K & J wrote:

                        Mike
                        Just noticed this reply in my inbox ...Thanks so much for taking the time to
                        answer in such detail and will follow your advice and collect the tails and
                        heads from here on in.
                        I am cautious by nature but welcome sound informed advice.
                        I have been having some corresepondence with Tony and he has viewed some
                        sketches I have done to modify my still and have now made those changes
                        which should improve the abv % will post photo's/sketches etc after I have
                        given it a run in the near future
                        Thank once again.

                        Cheers Ken Mc
                        =======================
                        My pleasure Ken. I look forward to seeing what modifications you are making
                        to your still.
                        Mike N
                      • K & J
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 5, 2003

                          Mike,
                          I have read on this site others doing stripping runs can you please explain what the benefits are and the procedure and do you think it is worth while.

                          cheers Ken Mc

                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 5, 2003
                            K & J wrote:

                            Mike,
                            I have read on this site others doing stripping runs can you please explain
                            what the benefits are and the procedure and do you think it is worth while.

                            cheers Ken Mc
                            ================================
                            Ken,

                            Three advantages:
                            a) Rapidly boiling the wash and condensing everything that is vaporized,
                            without bothering to separate the heads and tails, is an easy way of
                            reducing the volume of liquid you will subsequently process with care,
                            saving a lot of time overall
                            b) The reduced volume of liquid you get from a stripping run is clear of all
                            solids, salts and dissolved gases.
                            c) The liquid you get has a very much higher concentration of volatiles,
                            enabling far better separation in the subsequent rectification run as you
                            start out in the middle of the equilibrium chart (the one that plots the
                            concentration of volatiles in the vapor against their concentration in the
                            liquid the vapor came from ... the one that looks like a fat cigar leaning
                            at 45 degrees)

                            In essence, it is much easier to clean a muddy kid after a football game if
                            you first give the brat a quick hose-down to get rid of most of the mud, and
                            then then shove him in a clean, hot bath with a cake of soap with
                            instructions to wash behind his ears, than it is to try and do it all in a
                            bath full of muddy water. Whiskey distillers, who have to tackle the
                            difficult job of dealing with a mash full of solids, first concentrate on
                            separating the low wines from the mash in a big still, where the only
                            problem is to prevent burning, and then move on to a smaller still where
                            they concentrate on getting the right cut from the clean low wines.
                            Experience has taught them that this is a very effective and efficient
                            procedure that results in a much better product than if they tried to do the
                            whole job in one go. It is definitely well worthwhile.

                            Mike N
                          • K & J
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 5, 2003

                              Mike,

                              Thanks for the answer...just a couple of questions
                              1.   Obviously on the stripping run there is no reflux required just a pot still type run, just fire it up with only the final condenser on and wait until it stops?
                              2. When you do your final run do you make up the volume with water to say the 25 litres of the original wash or say 50/50 of the strip?

                              cheers
                              Ken Mc

[...]

                              Yahoo! Web Hosting makes it easy to build a professional web site.
                              Sign up today and get free set-up, domain name, and more (up to a $100 value)
                              http://us.click.yahoo.com/m3JvCD/wCpFAA/46VHAA/e8NolB/TM

                              .
                            • Mike Nixon
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 5, 2003
                                K & J wrote:

                                Mike,

                                Thanks for the answer...just a couple of questions
                                1. Obviously on the stripping run there is no reflux required just a pot
                                still type run, just fire it up with only the final condenser on and wait
                                until it stops?
                                2. When you do your final run do you make up the volume with water to say
                                the 25 litres of the original wash or say 50/50 of the strip?
                                ===============================
                                1. Yes. Judge when to stop when the temperature of the vapor is knocking at
                                around 96C
                                2. You can add water if you like, but it is far better to wait until you
                                have amassed enough strippate to do a full run. If you dilute, then you
                                lose the advantage of starting out in the middle of that cigar diagram and
                                you reduce efficiency.

                                Mike N
                              • abbababbaccc
                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 5, 2003
                                  Not Mike here, but offering a practical tip. Johan's amazing
                                  still http://www.amazingstill.com/ (doesn't work right now) offers
                                  you a bit of freedom if you don't want to stand by the still during
                                  the stripping run. I use it to cut the original amount to half, then
                                  run it through LM or VM still. Very good idea, especially if you are
                                  making whiskey. Lets me process one fermentation bucket in less than
                                  two weeks with one 3-4 hours final run + 20 minutes to set up/empty
                                  the amazing still in total.

                                  Greetz, Riku

                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                  > .
                                • Harley Daschund
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 6, 2003
                                    Mike:
                                    What,in your opinion,would be the 'ideal' ABV% of the wash (after being
                                    stripped) when starting the second/final distill run?
                                    Thanks.

                                    >From: "Mike Nixon" <mike@...>
                                    >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Cut question
                                    >Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 10:09:46 +1300
                                    >
                                    >>===============================
                                    >1. Yes. Judge when to stop when the temperature of the vapor is knocking
                                    >at
                                    >around 96C
                                    >2. You can add water if you like, but it is far better to wait until you
                                    >have amassed enough strippate to do a full run. If you dilute, then you
                                    >lose the advantage of starting out in the middle of that cigar diagram and
                                    >you reduce efficiency.
                                    >
                                    >Mike N

                                  • peter_vcb
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 12, 2003
                                      some more advantages.
                                      1. you can save up many batches and dedicate a whole day to run the
                                      whole lot properly in a reflux still.
                                      if you collect 4x25 litre batches you will only have to collect a bit
                                      more heads and tails than if you ran just a single 25litre wash. but
                                      you collect much more of the middle "drinkable" cut. also if you save
                                      up the batches you probably wont need to dilute it back down to
                                      prevent elment burn out.
                                      2. you dont need much care and attention when doing stripping runs. i
                                      leave the still running and check it every 15mins or so. i collect
                                      everything.
                                      3. if you dont have time for a reflux run you can strip a wash. this
                                      is useful if you dont want an uncleared wash hanging about for a
                                      month or so waiting to be contaminated.
                                      4. you dont have to worry about foaming or nasty smells getting into
                                      your prized reflux column. since the stripped wash is relatively pure
                                      you wont have to clean the column as often/carefully. i leave my
                                      stripped wash sitting on carbon.
                                      5. for me, electricity is cheaper than finings

                                      Peter