still sealing

  • Rob van Leuven
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2000
      I have used a so-called aquarium grade silicon; after it has cured
      completely and the vessel (or fishtank) has been rinsed with water a couple
      of times, it does not release any chemicals. If it did, it would kill the
      fish immediately, because they are especially susceptable to chemical
      pollution (especially sea fish).
      The sealant/adhesive is resistant to temperatures up to 150 Celsius and
      inert to most solvents, acids etc...
      If you want to make a removable gasket, you can squeeze a large blob of
      sealant between two panels of melamine faced chipboard which you have
      previously covered in dishwashing detergent (fairy liquid). Don't forget to
      separate the two panels with spacers which have the same thickness you want
      the gasket to have. After it has cured completely you can cut out the right
      shape with a sharp knife; put the gasket in boiling water for a while to
      remove any residues and you have a longlife silicon rubber gasket!
      Necessity is the mother of invention as the Irish say:)
      Rob