RE: [Distillers] Re: Oak essence extraction

  • Robert N
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2003
      Hi Harley, couple of questions on that. Those 3 gallons you had soaking
      on oak for a couple of months, was the oak charred in any way or raw oak
      shavings. Did the soaking impart any colour into the oak, before you
      filtered it, and if it did impart a colour, what did you use to filter
      the spirit to make it come out crystal clear?

      I've always thought it was the tannin in the oak that imparted colour,
      along with the charring of the timber.

      Yours in Spirit

      Robert