Thumper Success?

  • Ken Grady
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2003
      Gday all,

      Well finally some degree of success with my thumper/doubler. Thanks to most of the advise from the members of this group. As previously I started with 20lts of wash, don't know the alcohol content of the wash as I don't have a hydrometer, used all the some components as before only with some minor modifications, being reduced the length of the lyne arm from 1.8m to 1.2m & ran it horizontally as opposed from having a large incline as before, shortened the condensor pipe by about 1.5m to 1.2m to reduce air pressure & this time I used a three ring gas burner to heat it up. 18lts in the boiler, 2 in the thumper/doubler ran it for about 3.5 hrs & got 900ml @ 75%abv. What are your thoughts about quantity & quality of the end product. Thank you all.

      Ken Grady
    • Rob Marshall

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 28, 2003

          I've got thermometers onthe boiler, at the top of the column and in the thumper. The only one that is worth monitering, I've decided is the thumper. If you need any ideas about how to put a thermometer in the thumper ,let me know.

           Gday Rob,

          I have got one thermometer in the top of the boiler (20lt paint tin) it's in a rubber bung with a hole drilled through it, the thumper/doubler  is a polyproplene plastic paint bucket I suppose I could put one in it the same way? at least I would know the temp. in the thumper/doubler.any ideas?

          Ken Grady.

        • Rob Marshall
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2003

            Put one in the Thumper as well. That's where the important data is. Go to any chain electronic store for a couple of bucks you can buy an assortment of rubber grommets. They are used for insulation purposes. They resemble a rubber doughnut with a groove around the centre. In the electonic context, you drill a hole in a metal equipment chassis, push the grommet through so that the wide rubber part is on each side of the hole and the groove which is in the centre of the grommet is parrallel with the metal. It forms a tight seal. Then get an electronic meat thermometer, the kind that you stick into a roast to determine whether dinner is done or not. They have a pointy end, read in tenths of a degree and cost about 15 or 20 bucks US (just guessing at the exchange rate). You can get one at one of those kitchen type gadget stores. Buy one for your wife as a present! Stick the pointy end through  the grommet and you have a vapour proof seal. If the seal is too loose,,no problem. Get some teflon plumbing tape from a plumbing store. It comes in a roll just like electrical tape and is used to wrap around the threads of screw on plumbimg fixtures to make them water tight. It is chemicaly inert to most everything to about 250 degrees+ ( C ) and should cost about a buck. Wrap it around the probe on the thermometer and push it through the grommett and you've got a vapour proof fit.

            Good luck and gday.

          • peter_vcb <viciousblackout@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 3, 2003
              Hi Ken
              i think your still needs more tuning. if you only got 900ml 75% from
              a 20litre wash it means your wash was about 4%. i doubt this was the
              case so you are not getting enough yeild from your still. the pipe to
              the thumper at 1.2m is still large, did you insulate it? i wouldnt
              put any wash in the thumper at the start, when the still starts from
              cold you will get condensation in the thumper so it will fill with
              liquid. if you insist on priming it you should try it with some high
              proof distillate from a previous run. why did you reduce the
              condensor pipe? what "air pressure" were you reducing? as for
              thoughts on quality, thats up to you! was it nice?

              Peter

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Grady" <kengrady@d...> wrote:
              > Gday all,
              >
              > Well finally some degree of success with my thumper/doubler. Thanks
              to most of the advise from the members of this group. As previously I
              started with 20lts of wash, don't know the alcohol content of the
              wash as I don't have a hydrometer, used all the some components as
              before only with some minor modifications, being reduced the length
              of the lyne arm from 1.8m to 1.2m & ran it horizontally as opposed
              from having a large incline as before, shortened the condensor pipe
              by about 1.5m to 1.2m to reduce air pressure & this time I used a
              three ring gas burner to heat it up. 18lts in the boiler, 2 in the
              thumper/doubler ran it for about 3.5 hrs & got 900ml @ 75%abv. What
              are your thoughts about quantity & quality of the end product. Thank
              you all.

              > Ken Grady
            • Ken Grady
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 3, 2003

                Gday Peter,
                I can reduce the lyne arm more & not prime the thumper, I may have finished up too early hence the short 900ml?? Since this was the first run I don't have any high % left to put in for the next run & want to save what I've got to try it. I did insulate the thumper with a heavy blanket. There was a shit load of condensor pipe & I had diffuclty getting it into the bucket, forget the air pressure bit I am new to this.
                Thanks
                Ken.