Re: [Distillers] Re: Those Expensive Turbo Yeasts

  • Rob Marshall
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 27, 2003

      Well, I'm cheap! Also since I'd make about 100litres of wash at a time, it starts to add up.  Your $5.00 a pack Turbo yeast doesn't sound too bad though.

      To date I've been using high alcohol yeast, Lalvin EC-1118, which gets the wash up to 12.5%. For 50 litres, you just have to add 180mg of wine nutrient which has the same stuff as the nutrient in the turbo yeast package. So converted to an equivalent 25litre batch, yeast plus nutrient works out to about $2.50.

       "rodmacd2000 <rmacdoug@...>" <rmacdoug@...> wrote:

      So what's so expensive? My input costs in Canada for a batch yielding
      18.3 l of 40% abv Vodka total Can $30.00 of which $10.00 is for two
      packets of 8 kg Turbo Yeast purchased from BrewHaus Canada (other
      costs are $16.00 for 14 kg sugar and $4.00 for electricity).

      This yeast has been absolutely foolproof for me yielding 60 l wash at
      13.5% in just three days.

      My opinion and experience FWIW

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rob Marshall <micheljmartyn@y...>
      wrote:

      > The turbostyle high alcohol tolerant yeast is pretty expensive
      compared with the regular beer or wine yeast. When I made a lot of
      beer, I used to save some of the thick froth  from the top of the
      fermentation vat, roll it into a small ball, wrap it in plastic wrap
      and freeze it for next time. Can we do this with the turbo type
      yeast, provided we put in enough yeast nutrient?

      > Besides the  packaged nutrient that you can buy at a wine supply
      store, is there any product from the kitchen pantry that can be used?
      I've of using tomato paste (please don't tell me to use Vegamite
      yuch!)