RE: [new_distillers] Condenser

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2000
      Purely guessing here, but I don't think that being "forced" out the top
      will be a problem - as the vapour condenses, it will reduce in volume by a
      factor of about 500-900, so provided it can touch the wall of the
      condensor, it will shrink quite rapidly, and stop the "push" out the top.
      20mm is a reasonable size too - I'm making one of the Nixon/Stones using
      just 25mm OD for the main section - which has to handle both vapour &
      reflux liquid - with a 1300W element (and I'm hoping to avoid it flooding).

      The critical issue will be to ensure that all the vapour gets a chance to
      meet the condensor wall somehow - eg avoid some vapour merely staying in
      the centre of the condensor all the way out. Maybe a couple of very loose
      / widely teased stainless steel scrubbers in the top of the condensor might
      give some cold surface area in the centre of it to catch & contact any
      elusive vapour ??

      I figure its worth a crack anyhow,

      Tony