Re: Appropriate materials for creating seals on still

  • Tom Noftsger
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2000
      I just read Jan Willem's post on using "Permatex" form-a-gastket RTV
      silicon. I assume that you have used this and that it does not
      impart any off flavor or any other chemicals for that matter in your
      distilate? RTV silicon is fabulous stuff, I have assembled entire
      engines with it. But it always worried me to use it on my still, I
      have a pestersom leak that I just can't seem to get soldered. I
      assumed that the heat combined with the alcohol would, to some degree
      break down the silicon and bleed chemical into the still. Does it?
      If not i've just found my temporary cure for the leak until I can get
      a hotter torch.

      Tom