Alcohol from Protein ?

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23, 2000
      I need a little help here ... every so often I get sent some weird
      questions, but this one has got me thinking that there could be some merit
      in it. Its a good question that Bill poses ... along the lines of ...

      ..if it can decompose, it can probably be fermented, if so, what is the
      yield from protein ?

      Any suggestions ?
      Or is the assumption wrong : protein can't be fermented ?

      Tony.

      If I might ask you a real odd question? Since I am in the earthworm
      business, we don't sell the actual earthworm, just their eggs/cocoons.
      You read right, just earthworm eggs. No dirt with them, just eggs.

      What my question is would you or could you tell me how much ethanol
      could be produced from 56 lbs of earthworms. I am also a farmer and I
      know 56 lbs of corn (one bu) produces about 2 gals of ethanol.

      I am sending you an excerpt from K.E. Lee Earthworm book the following
      info.

      Chapter 16 page 328:

      The dry matter of worms was 20%-25% of fresh weight, and on a dry
      weight basis they contained 60%-61% protein, 7%-10% fat, 8%-10% ash,
      including 0.55% calcium and 1.0% phosphorus.

      If you need other information to help you calculate, please let me
      know.

      Sincerely,

      Wm R. Kreitzer
      Chairman/ABI