Appropriate materials for creating seals on still

  • plr789@tpg.com.au
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 21, 2000
      My still is made of a 13 litre soup pan which has a flat (horizontal
      lip) and a flat lid (ie lid sits on top of pan lip).

      I have been strugling to work out the best thing to use to seal the
      lid to the pan (tower is connected to the lid).

      I have made four holes in the lid and pan lip (at 12, 3, 6 and 9
      O'clock) which allow me to bolt the lid to the pan. I just need
      something to place between the lid and pan that will provide a good
      seal and not poison me (or otherwise taint the liquor).

      Suggestions please!!!
    • Jan-Willem Dob
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 22, 2000
        --- In Distillers@egroups.com, plr789@t... wrote:
        > My still is made of a 13 litre soup pan which has a flat
        (horizontal
        > lip) and a flat lid (ie lid sits on top of pan lip).
        >
        > I have been strugling to work out the best thing to use to seal the
        > lid to the pan (tower is connected to the lid).
        >
        > I have made four holes in the lid and pan lip (at 12, 3, 6 and 9
        > O'clock) which allow me to bolt the lid to the pan. I just need
        > something to place between the lid and pan that will provide a good
        > seal and not poison me (or otherwise taint the liquor).
        >
        > Suggestions please!!!

        Hi PLR...

        I made a still with a soup pan and a doughbowl, the seals i tried
        where;
        1 rubber gasket - to stiff and smelly
        2 silicone rubber tubing sliced open - well ok sort off, not perfect
        3 silicone gasket or as the packing say's Form-A-Gasket no.6
        I aplied it as a thin stripe and let it dry.
        Now i placed the dough bowl on it and fastened it (check my website
        i dont know exactly how to describe my contraption)
        Its been opened and closed now for about 15 times and still ok.
        And when its damaged easy repair or exchange with a new layer.

        Oh the manufacterer is Loctite and its called Blue Silicone RTV
        Catalog number 18869 and is also sold in europe
        (where i work its in use coincidentally....)

        Jan Willem

        http://home.planet.nl/~jwdob/distilling.htm