[distillers] Stills

  • distillers@xxxxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 13, 1999
      Mike/Connie
      I had heard the term Coffey still without ever knowing exactly what it
      was. It was my understanding that the major difference in still design
      was a pot still or a reflux which is as you say also known as a
      fractional still. Do you know how the term Coffey still came about ? is
      it named after an inventor ?
      I have been in email contact with John Stone in the past and have his
      book, his design is one of the better ones out there on the web but I am
      not so impressed with his methods of making a wash.
      Ray

      Connie Zein wrote:
      Can someone please tell me what the types of stills are. I understand
      there
      are two main types ie Pot Still and Coffey Still?
      What are the advantages of each?

      The Coffey Still (or Patent Still) is essentially the same as the Pot
      Still. You may have
      seen pictures of Coffey Stills as they are used in the manufacture of
      whiskey. They are
      essentially a boiler connected to a condenser, and generally 2 passes
      are required in order
      to produce a potable product. If the product is consumed immediately
      then you are drinking
      moonshine which contains large quantities of fusel oils and other
      nasties. These are
      chemically modified through storage of the product and aging and give
      whiskeys, brandies etc
      their characteristic flavour.

      Refluxing fractionating columns give a much purer product as they
      effectively redistill many,
      many times as the raw material progresses up the column. If you want to
      know how to do it
      properly, I strongly recommend a visit to John Stone's web site
      http://www.gin-vodka.com/main.htm

      Good luck,
      Mike

      --
    • Des
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 14, 1999
        The Coffey Still (also know as the Patent Still) was invented in 1830 by Mr
        Aeneas Coffey, a retired government Excise man in Ireland. This Patent
        Still was itself an improvement on an earlier still design.
        Back to the original question: One of the major differences between the Pot
        Still and the Coffey Still is that the former is a batch still in that it
        produces alcohol in batches, whereas the Coffey Still is a continuous
        operation still.