preventing sweet vodka

  • ups474@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2000
      I just did some poolside reading in an old homebrewing book.
      Appearantly, white sugar must first be altered by the yeast enzyme
      called invertase, before it can be fermented. It may be possible to
      avoid the sweet aftertaste in homemade vodka I've been reading about
      by using invert sugar instead of expensive corn sugar. Invert sugar
      can be made by boiling 2 pounds of ordinary table sugar with one
      teaspoonful of citric acid in one pint of water until the solution
      takes on a pale golden color, then neutralizing the acidity with
      about one teaspoonful of food grade chalk. Even if this doesn't get
      rid of the sweet aftertaste, fermentation (especially when going for
      20% mash with a turbo yeast) will probably take less time. Has
      anyone tried this before? How did it work? If anyone does try it,
      please let me know. Cheers!