Re: [Distillers] Thumper questions

  • Dan or Barbara Gill
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 8, 2000
      I also found the thumper thread interesting. When I resurrected a
      century old copper pot still (25 gal capacity), I ran the vapor into the
      sealed top of an insulated empty gallon jar and then into the condenser
      coil. During a run, I will collect maybe a pint or two water but I don't
      run the vapor through it. The thumper soon reaches distillation temps
      and double distills very well. I can consistently run high quality eau
      de vie and corn whiskey (traditional moonshine). I don't have any test
      equipment, but believe I am running about 85% because a 50% cut still
      burns blue and has a good kick. I still haven't mastered the bead test
      and would like to find a better low tech guide for a/v. Local
      affectionados have told me it is the best moonshine they ever had - no
      small praise considering the depth of experience.

      Tony & Elle Ackland wrote:

      > > Please let me know, I have a food sciences major
      saying
      > > "Impossible!", I want to prove him wrong.
      >
      > The thumper is simply acting as a second distillation
      stage. Once its
      > fully saturated with alcohol (hence better to start
      with something already
      > containing alcohol), and up to temperature, the vapour
      leaving it will be
      > doing the equivalent of a second distillation (usng
      the incoming vapour as
      > the heat source).
      >
      > Check out the wee applet at
      > http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/theory.htm
      ...set it to 2 stages
      > ... so the vapour leaving a 15% wash will be coming
      off at 65%, once going
      > through a second stage (the thumper) it will be at 85%
      (not impossible !)

      > See some of the Moonshine still photos at
      > http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/moonshine.htm
      for some examples of
      > thumpers.
      >
      > Tony

      > Get 6 months of FREE* MSN Internet access!

      http://click.egroups.com/1/5727/7/_/441693/_/962524293/

      ********* New e-mail address dgill@... ********

      Please note new URL: http://www.velvitoil.com/index.html
      Barbecue, curing and smoking meat, Woodworking and more