Water jacket size

  • Robert Stam
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2003
      Hi Tony,

      in calculating the size of the product condenser (Liebig) , what size ratio is okay for the outer jacket to the inner vapour pipe? i.e. if I use a 15mm inner for the vapour to pass through, is a 25mm outer for the water jacket okay? I would use a bigger outer if I could and ignore this question, but I can only readily get a 15mm/25mm reducer for the ends of the condenser. If the outer needs to be bigger, i.e. 40mm I can make it out of PVC and pass the copper 15mm inner through.

      Cheers, Rob
    • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2003
        >in calculating the size of the product condenser (Liebig) , what size ratio is okay for the outer jacket to the inner vapour pipe? i.e. if I use a 15mm inner for the vapour to pass through, is a 25mm outer for the water jacket okay? I would use a bigger outer if I could and ignore this question, but I can only readily get a 15mm/25mm reducer for the ends of the condenser. If the outer needs to be bigger, i.e. 40mm I can make it out of PVC and pass the copper 15mm inner through.

        It comes down to what's practical. I'd say that as long as the gap is wide enough for the water to flow through (at the rate you want), then its fine. Your 15/25 combo should be OK. Just as a rule of thumb I'd like a 5mm gap either side, so +10mm diameter is perfect.

        Too narrow will only be a problem if its preventing you from getting enough water through the unit (eg you wouldn't aim for a 2mm gap).

        There's no real advantage in going larger, but it isn't going to be a problem other than say if the unit gets too big and bulky.

        Tony
      • CornFed (Randy) <cornfed15@hotmail.com>
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2003
          I just put a 1/2 inch (12.7 mm ID or 15mm OD) piece of copper inside
          of a 1 inch piece of copper (25 mm ID) and I think those sizes will
          work well with each other.

          if you are using copper for the ethanol passage, the only problem I
          can see by using plastic pipe for the water jacket is the seal
          between copper to plastic.

          a restricted coolant flow inside the jacket (or the rest of the
          coolant system) will tend to build coolant flow pressure through out
          the entire system. The pressure will work against the seal between
          copper and plastic fittings.

          by using large diameter tubing (12.7 or 15 mm ID tubing) to flow the
          coolant, the sealing surfaces will have to deal with more flow and
          less pressure. Which is easier to accomplish with glues and
          compression fittings.

          just things to consider.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Stam <Robert.Stam@b...>
          wrote:
          > Hi Tony,
          >
          > in calculating the size of the product condenser (Liebig) , what
          size ratio
          > is okay for the outer jacket to the inner vapour pipe? i.e. if I
          use a 15mm
          > inner for the vapour to pass through, is a 25mm outer for the water
          jacket
          > okay? I would use a bigger outer if I could and ignore this
          question, but I
          > can only readily get a 15mm/25mm reducer for the ends of the
          condenser. If
          > the outer needs to be bigger, i.e. 40mm I can make it out of PVC
          and pass
          > the copper 15mm inner through.
          >
          > Cheers, Rob
        • Robert Stam
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 3, 2003
            Thanks guys for the reply. I'll go ahead and use the 15mm/25mm reducers.

            Cheers, Rob

            wrote:
            > Hi Tony,

            > in calculating the size of the product condenser (Liebig) , what
            size ratio
            > is okay for the outer jacket to the inner vapour pipe? i.e. if I
            use a 15mm
            > inner for the vapour to pass through, is a 25mm outer for the water
            jacket
            > okay? I would use a bigger outer if I could and ignore this
            question, but I
            > can only readily get a 15mm/25mm reducer for the ends of the
            condenser. If
            > the outer needs to be bigger, i.e. 40mm I can make it out of PVC
            and pass
            > the copper 15mm inner through.

            > Cheers, Rob

          • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 3, 2003
              > a restricted coolant flow inside the jacket (or the rest of the
              > coolant system) will tend to build coolant flow pressure through out
              > the entire system.

              I suspect a big cause of this would be the outlet fitting being too narrow, or half blocked by blobs of solder etc ...

              Tony