column questions

  • ups474@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2000
      would attaching a 1/2 inch column (10 inches long) to the top of a
      pressure cooker, packing it with half of a copper scouring pad and
      installing (at the top of the column) 2, 1/4 inch wide cooling tubes
      (1 inch apart, the top one is one inch below the side port to the
      condenser), which then leads to a condenser tube (3/8 of an inch
      wide) that branches down maybe a foot or so before it enters a
      cooling tank (the water would enter here, then go through the lower
      cooling tube first) be capable of producing 75-85% alcohol? Would
      the cooling tubes passing through the column cause it to choke since
      they block about half of the cross section (1/2 inch tower, 1/4 inch
      tubes). This is my theoretical attempt to "home build" a "still
      spirits" type of still found for sale in NZ. I know there are better
      types to make, but the purpose is to duplicate that model
      specifically, as far as performance goes. Think this design could do
      it?