Re: storing sugar-wash

  • homedistiller <homedistiller@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2003
      Storing a fermented wash will expose it to several dangers:
      It could get infected with organisms and for example turn into
      vinegar (like wine).
      If not separated from the dead yeast cells, these will also impart
      their flavour to the wash (like in wine).
      If not really hermetically closed off from the atmosphere, your wash,
      in time, will lose all of the alcohol present because of its higher
      vapour pressure.

      Based on these facts, I would advise: the faster you could distill,
      the better, unless you take the right precautions or unless you're
      after some specific flavours.

      Greetings,

      Dirk

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cmfolkpottery <clete@m...>" <
      clete@m...> wrote:
      > Can you ferment-out sugar wash and store it (like wine)? Or do you
      > need to distill right fermentation?
    • bob johnson
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2003
        im not positive on this but u might be able to if u put a lid on the
        bottles. my wash was sitting for about 3 in a half weeks once becuase my
        water distiller didnt work without a filter. i was using a gert strand turbo
        yeast and i mailed him and asked if it was still good and he said it should
        hold for a couple moonths or something because of the alc. in it.

        -paul

        >From: "cmfolkpottery <clete@...>" <clete@...>
        >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [Distillers] storing sugar-wash
        >Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 15:57:15 -0000
        >
        >Can you ferment-out sugar wash and store it (like wine)? Or do you
        >need to distill right fermentation?

      • BOKAKOB
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2003

          You can store the unfermented wash in the absense of oxygen. Use glass not plastics. Store with no air left. You can store it for practical purposes almost indefinitely, like alcohol soaked specimens in museum jars.

           "cmfolkpottery <clete@...>" <clete@...> wrote:

          Can you ferment-out sugar wash and store it (like wine)? Or do you
          need to distill right fermentation?

          I can be wrong I must say.
          Cheers, Alex...

          Do you Yahoo!?