Re: [Distillers] Re: Use of BRASS

  • Joe .
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2003
      >From: "CornFed (Randy) <cornfed15@...>" <cornfed15@...>
      >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [Distillers] Re: Use of BRASS
      >Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 06:58:47 -0000
      >
      >here is a webpage that lists directions on how to soak the surface
      >lead off of brass alloys using white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide:
      >http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixB.html
      >

      >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "LesH" <dootyfree@h...> wrote:
      > > I would think that as the use of lead in solder for water supply
      >systems is now illegal,lead in plumbers brassware would be most
      >unlikely now.
      > > LesH(plumber)

      Thanks for the link,I use a dilute solution of Hydrochloric acid to flush
      out the oxide on the copper internal parts of my still,and then wash out
      with hot water..
      I've used it for many years for cleaning brass plumbing fittings,if left
      for too long brass will turn pink due to de-zincification.This also happens
      in sea water,requiring Bronze fittings.
      Sorry,old plumbers tend to ramble on!
      Les.

    • CornFed (Randy) <cornfed15@hotmail.com>
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
        here are a couple more links about cleaning brass and copper with
        ahydrogen peroxide - white vinegar solution

        http://www.reactivemetals.com/data/d_h2o2instr.html more
        instructions on how to make a pickling solution with white vinegar
        and hydrogen peroxide.

        http://www.hbd.org/hbd/archive/1539.html#1539-17 John Palmer a
        metallurgical engineer for the aerospace industry remarks about
        removing surface lead from brass in a home brew digest forum

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "CornFed (Randy) <cornfed15@h...>"