Re: Pitching Yeast

  • smudge311065 <smudge@bigpond.net.au>
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2003
      There is no hard and fast answer.

      How much yeast you need depends on how much much work there is for
      yeast to do, and how hard you make their job.

      The first thing yeast does after pitching is multiply. According to
      Lallemand (http://consumer.lallemand.com/danstar-
      lalvin/winefaq.html#rehydrate) at innoculation there should be around
      3 - 4 million viable yeast cells per milliliter of must. During a
      normal healthy fermentation this will increase to a cell population
      of up to 100 - 150 million viable yeast cells per milliliter.

      For the yeast I use (Lalvin K1V-1116) a pitching rate of 35g/Hl is
      recommended, but without an adequate environment for yeast
      multiplication this will not result in fermentation to dryness.

      Using 5g of yeast in a 25 litre brew should be fine. If it isn't then
      check that you aren't trying to exceed the yeast's tolerance for
      sugar or alcohol, beyond that look at your yeast nutrients.

      Smudge

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cmfolkpottery <clete@m...>"
    • hardrock37us <hardrock37us@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 23, 2003
        <clete@m...> wrote:
        > On Tony's site am getting tripped-up at -Fermentation- "How Much
        > Yeast To Use dept". First paragraph stating 2-4 grams per gallon -
        > third paragraph - 100g per 20L rule? Need help getting back on
        > track. Enjoyed the "96% alcohol" thread. Very
        > interesting/informative, cleared several things-up for me.
        > Appreciate the more-knowledgibles' patience/maturity.

        I almost gave up untill I bought the "turbo 8s" from brewhaus.com
        with in 2 weeks it produced 20%. (5 quarts) made a good drink. I
        discarded first 4 ounces and kept last 10 ounces or so for later run
        but was very happy with turbo's. Instructions on the pack. water and
        18 lbs of store bought sugar, any brand. Never seen anything roll in
        the fermenter like that before. Worked so good I have plenty to last
        for a long time. I dismantled the still and took parts of it to a
        friends to try and avoid trouble. When I run out I'll order more
        turbo's and make a few more runs. Good Luck, R