Re: [Distillers] Changes Taste With Time

  • bob johnson
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2003
      hey this is just a gues but mabey what happened is that the stuff that the
      carbon dosent fix sttled to the bottom.
      -paul

      >From: Adrian Smith <adriansmith1@...>
      >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [Distillers] Changes Taste With Time
      >Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 14:10:06 +0000 (GMT)
      >
      >Hi all,
      > I've recently done a run and due in part
      >to laziness decided not to carbon treat my
      >distillate as I was satisfied with the taste. I
      >distilled it to give a neutral spirit. I gave a
      >bottle each to a couple of friends (diluted to
      >50% from 94%) and kept a couple of litres for
      >myself. After opening the first bottle the taste
      >was fine, quite like a vodka. After I went back
      >to the bottle (half empty) a few days later, the
      >taste had defenitely changed. Although not at all
      >unpleasent it took on a slightly sweeter unique
      >flavour. My question is, is it air getting in
      >that changed the taste or is something else going
      >on? and if so can it be prevented? This has
      >happened on two bottles one in a cupboard and one
      >in the fridge. My friends have noticed it
      >happened to their bottles two. Any ideas anyone?
      >
      >Thanks.

      >http://uk.my.yahoo.com

    • Mike Nixon
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2003
        bob johnson wrote:
        Subject: Re: [Distillers] Changes Taste With Time

        hey this is just a gues but mabey what happened is that the stuff that the carbon dosent fix sttled to the bottom.
        -paul
        Sorry, but no.  With the exception of congeners that are oils, and float on the top (if you have been very unlucky to get them), all the rest of the stuff is miscible with water and ethanol and doesn't settle at all.
        Mike N