Re: Strip Run (Thanks Tony)

  • Frank <headcavedin@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2003
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)"
      <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
      > Frank - a stripping run is when you first run the wash through a
      still in a quick manner. This can either be through a crude pot
      still, or through a reflux column but without worrying about using
      any reflux. The idea is just to knock out most of the water there -
      eg turn 24L at 10% into 6L at 40%. The 6L is then redistilled again,
      but this time taking care.

      > This has plenty of advantages - if you want to make say 100L of
      wash, but only have a 30L still - do the stripping runs first, and
      then only end up with 25L of brew to spend the time & attention on.
      Its an ideal way of not having to use high % turbo yeasts - just use
      simple bread yeast, make only 5% washes, and use the stripping runs
      to remove most of that water. It also means that you can remove a
      lot of the flavours, say from still having cloudy wash etc, and
      remove all that prior to doing the carefull run. Also, if your
      reflux column doesnt do high %, then by doing the stripping run, and
      starting the secound round already at 40%, you've given your column a
      bit of a leg up.