Re: pitching yeast

  • nanosleep <nanosleep@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2003
      Into a 24L batch I will pitch two 5g packages. This is
      double the amount written on the yeast package. I could
      very well have only pitched one packet. By pitching
      double the amount I ensure there are plenty of the yeast
      around to do the job. I also ensure they quickly get
      a large population built up. This helps the fermentation
      go quickly and helps prevent growth of non-desireable
      organisms. I typically usually only use yeast from a
      packet for one in five of my batches. For the other
      batches I will pitch half a cupfull of the yeast rich
      sediment from a previous batch. I periodically use
      the packet yeast to ensure my 'reused' yeast hasn't
      mutated, or I have distilled out and cleaned up all
      the ferementers and I don't have sediment around to
      pitch.

      -A

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cmfolkpottery <clete@m...>"
    • smudge311065 <smudge@bigpond.net.au>
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2003
        There is no hard and fast answer.

        How much yeast you need depends on how much much work there is for
        yeast to do, and how hard you make their job.

        The first thing yeast does after pitching is multiply. According to
        Lallemand (http://consumer.lallemand.com/danstar-
        lalvin/winefaq.html#rehydrate) at innoculation there should be around
        3 - 4 million viable yeast cells per milliliter of must. During a
        normal healthy fermentation this will increase to a cell population
        of up to 100 - 150 million viable yeast cells per milliliter.

        For the yeast I use (Lalvin K1V-1116) a pitching rate of 35g/Hl is
        recommended, but without an adequate environment for yeast
        multiplication this will not result in fermentation to dryness.

        Using 5g of yeast in a 25 litre brew should be fine. If it isn't then
        check that you aren't trying to exceed the yeast's tolerance for
        sugar or alcohol, beyond that look at your yeast nutrients.

        Smudge

      • hardrock37us <hardrock37us@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 23, 2003
          <clete@m...> wrote:
          > On Tony's site am getting tripped-up at -Fermentation- "How Much
          > Yeast To Use dept". First paragraph stating 2-4 grams per gallon -
          > third paragraph - 100g per 20L rule? Need help getting back on
          > track. Enjoyed the "96% alcohol" thread. Very
          > interesting/informative, cleared several things-up for me.
          > Appreciate the more-knowledgibles' patience/maturity.

          I almost gave up untill I bought the "turbo 8s" from brewhaus.com
          with in 2 weeks it produced 20%. (5 quarts) made a good drink. I
          discarded first 4 ounces and kept last 10 ounces or so for later run
          but was very happy with turbo's. Instructions on the pack. water and
          18 lbs of store bought sugar, any brand. Never seen anything roll in
          the fermenter like that before. Worked so good I have plenty to last
          for a long time. I dismantled the still and took parts of it to a
          friends to try and avoid trouble. When I run out I'll order more
          turbo's and make a few more runs. Good Luck, R