pitching yeast

  • cmfolkpottery <clete@mindspring.com>
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2003
      On Tony's site am getting tripped-up at -Fermentation- "How Much
      Yeast To Use dept". First paragraph stating 2-4 grams per gallon - t
      third paragraph - 100g per 20L rule? Need help getting back on
      track. Enjoyed the "96% alcohol" thread. Very
      interesting/informative, cleared several things-up for me.
      Appreciate the more-knowledgibles' patience/maturity.
    • nanosleep <nanosleep@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2003
        Into a 24L batch I will pitch two 5g packages. This is
        double the amount written on the yeast package. I could
        very well have only pitched one packet. By pitching
        double the amount I ensure there are plenty of the yeast
        around to do the job. I also ensure they quickly get
        a large population built up. This helps the fermentation
        go quickly and helps prevent growth of non-desireable
        organisms. I typically usually only use yeast from a
        packet for one in five of my batches. For the other
        batches I will pitch half a cupfull of the yeast rich
        sediment from a previous batch. I periodically use
        the packet yeast to ensure my 'reused' yeast hasn't
        mutated, or I have distilled out and cleaned up all
        the ferementers and I don't have sediment around to
        pitch.

        -A

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cmfolkpottery <clete@m...>"
      • smudge311065 <smudge@bigpond.net.au>
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2003
          There is no hard and fast answer.

          How much yeast you need depends on how much much work there is for
          yeast to do, and how hard you make their job.

          The first thing yeast does after pitching is multiply. According to
          Lallemand (http://consumer.lallemand.com/danstar-
          lalvin/winefaq.html#rehydrate) at innoculation there should be around
          3 - 4 million viable yeast cells per milliliter of must. During a
          normal healthy fermentation this will increase to a cell population
          of up to 100 - 150 million viable yeast cells per milliliter.

          For the yeast I use (Lalvin K1V-1116) a pitching rate of 35g/Hl is
          recommended, but without an adequate environment for yeast
          multiplication this will not result in fermentation to dryness.

          Using 5g of yeast in a 25 litre brew should be fine. If it isn't then
          check that you aren't trying to exceed the yeast's tolerance for
          sugar or alcohol, beyond that look at your yeast nutrients.

          Smudge

        • hardrock37us <hardrock37us@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 23, 2003
            <clete@m...> wrote:
            > On Tony's site am getting tripped-up at -Fermentation- "How Much
            > Yeast To Use dept". First paragraph stating 2-4 grams per gallon -
            > third paragraph - 100g per 20L rule? Need help getting back on
            > track. Enjoyed the "96% alcohol" thread. Very
            > interesting/informative, cleared several things-up for me.
            > Appreciate the more-knowledgibles' patience/maturity.

            I almost gave up untill I bought the "turbo 8s" from brewhaus.com
            with in 2 weeks it produced 20%. (5 quarts) made a good drink. I
            discarded first 4 ounces and kept last 10 ounces or so for later run
            but was very happy with turbo's. Instructions on the pack. water and
            18 lbs of store bought sugar, any brand. Never seen anything roll in
            the fermenter like that before. Worked so good I have plenty to last
            for a long time. I dismantled the still and took parts of it to a
            friends to try and avoid trouble. When I run out I'll order more
            turbo's and make a few more runs. Good Luck, R