Changes Taste With Time

  • Adrian Smith
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2003
      Hi all,
      I've recently done a run and due in part
      to laziness decided not to carbon treat my
      distillate as I was satisfied with the taste. I
      distilled it to give a neutral spirit. I gave a
      bottle each to a couple of friends (diluted to
      50% from 94%) and kept a couple of litres for
      myself. After opening the first bottle the taste
      was fine, quite like a vodka. After I went back
      to the bottle (half empty) a few days later, the
      taste had defenitely changed. Although not at all
      unpleasent it took on a slightly sweeter unique
      flavour. My question is, is it air getting in
      that changed the taste or is something else going
      on? and if so can it be prevented? This has
      happened on two bottles one in a cupboard and one
      in the fridge. My friends have noticed it
      happened to their bottles two. Any ideas anyone?

      Thanks.

      http://uk.my.yahoo.com
    • homedistiller <homedistiller@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2003
        Air seems to play an unseen but nevertheless important role in
        "aging".

        Air is in contact with alcohol when it is in wooden barrels.
        It plays a role when filtering vodka through charcoal, sand, rock etc.
        In earlier times, pumping air through distillate for days was a
        practice to remove harshness of the alcohol.

        I always try to open a bottle of wine many hours ahead of
        consumption.
        I actually find that the taste of the wine is at its very best the
        day after the bottle has been opened.

        I guess, certain congeners are getting oxidized, become chemically
        more neutral and therefore cause a smoothening of the overall taste.

        Dirk

        In the past--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Adrian Smith <
        adriansmith1@y...> wrote:
        > Hi all,
        > I've recently done a run and due in part
        > to laziness decided not to carbon treat my
        > distillate as I was satisfied with the taste. I
        > distilled it to give a neutral spirit. I gave a
        > bottle each to a couple of friends (diluted to
        > 50% from 94%) and kept a couple of litres for
        > myself. After opening the first bottle the taste
        > was fine, quite like a vodka. After I went back
        > to the bottle (half empty) a few days later, the
        > taste had defenitely changed. Although not at all
        > unpleasent it took on a slightly sweeter unique
        > flavour. My question is, is it air getting in
        > that changed the taste or is something else going
        > on? and if so can it be prevented? This has
        > happened on two bottles one in a cupboard and one
        > in the fridge. My friends have noticed it
        > happened to their bottles two. Any ideas anyone?
        >
        > Thanks.

        > http://uk.my.yahoo.com
      • bob johnson
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2003
          hey this is just a gues but mabey what happened is that the stuff that the
          carbon dosent fix sttled to the bottom.
          -paul

          >From: Adrian Smith <adriansmith1@...>
          >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [Distillers] Changes Taste With Time
          >Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 14:10:06 +0000 (GMT)
          >
          >Hi all,
          > I've recently done a run and due in part
          >to laziness decided not to carbon treat my
          >distillate as I was satisfied with the taste. I
          >distilled it to give a neutral spirit. I gave a
          >bottle each to a couple of friends (diluted to
          >50% from 94%) and kept a couple of litres for
          >myself. After opening the first bottle the taste
          >was fine, quite like a vodka. After I went back
          >to the bottle (half empty) a few days later, the
          >taste had defenitely changed. Although not at all
          >unpleasent it took on a slightly sweeter unique
          >flavour. My question is, is it air getting in
          >that changed the taste or is something else going
          >on? and if so can it be prevented? This has
          >happened on two bottles one in a cupboard and one
          >in the fridge. My friends have noticed it
          >happened to their bottles two. Any ideas anyone?
          >
          >Thanks.

          >http://uk.my.yahoo.com

        • Mike Nixon
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2003
            bob johnson wrote:
            Subject: Re: [Distillers] Changes Taste With Time

            hey this is just a gues but mabey what happened is that the stuff that the carbon dosent fix sttled to the bottom.
            -paul
            Sorry, but no.  With the exception of congeners that are oils, and float on the top (if you have been very unlucky to get them), all the rest of the stuff is miscible with water and ethanol and doesn't settle at all.
            Mike N